Forums59
Topics1,037,810
Posts13,934,881
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors #13127084 04/18/19 11:22 AM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
There are many factors that contribute to the catch rate for Crappie. I'm going to do a pseudo scientific study on a brushpile with Livescope to narrow it down.

Here's the complication. In a fully factorial experiment, every factor added doubles the number of experiments. What? Huh? Meaning: if you have 2 factors such as line size and line type, you need to have 4 setups. Add 2 color lures and now you'll need 8 setups. Add another factor like jig head size and you'll need 16 setups. It gets huge really quick.

So, we have to be selective in what is studied by starting off simple by studying only 2 factors at a time. I'm going to sit on top of a Crappie filled brushpile and randomly put each of them down and note the fish behavior on Livescope. Here's what I'm thinking:

Experiment 1. 4 setups:
-1 lure (1/8oz plain jighead with a soft plastic)
-2 linetypes (Flouro vs mono)
-2 line sizes (small and large for each)

Once the superior setup is determined (if it shows a difference), I'll take the line type/size and doe Experiment 2.
Need your input for this one. Suggest the luretypes and colors for this
Experiment 2: 5 setups
-1 line (as selected from Experiment 1)
-1 setup is control from Experiement 1
-2 luretypes
-2 lure colors
[b][/b]

I'll keep adding experiments until I can get to a point of satifisfaction on what really matters to catch Crappie. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13127213 04/18/19 02:01 PM
H
Hancock's Guide Service Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Pick your favorite jig weight and a couple colors and catch those that bite and for the ones that do not move on to the next spot. I understand your thinking but IMO your not gonna find a perfect set up. One thing I have learned with livescope is sometimes each fish prefers a different color. And some just will not bite. Catch the agressive fish and move on is my best advice I could give.

Good luck post your results

Jerry
214-544-3678
Hancocksguideservice.com
https://www.facebook.com/Hancocksguideservice
2016 CAT Division 1
State Champion
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Hancock's Guide Service] #13127276 04/18/19 02:55 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Hancock's Guide Service
Pick your favorite jig weight and a couple colors and catch those that bite and for the ones that do not move on to the next spot. I understand your thinking but IMO your not gonna find a perfect set up. One thing I have learned with livescope is sometimes each fish prefers a different color. And some just will not bite. Catch the agressive fish and move on is my best advice I could give.

Good luck post your results

Jerry:
Good advice. Aggressive vs non-aggressive fish is definitely a factor as well as time on the brush. I noticed that after catching 5 or more, things slow down for a little while....

My suspicion is nothing really matters all that much, just do as you suggest... but data never hurts.
tim

If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13127440 04/18/19 06:10 PM
crappie brother Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Well to be honest it's the fisherman! Everything else is really secondary but if I had to give an answer start with basic items in size/weight/color etc.. and just fish. The fewer variables at first the better.

Tie'm Up-Sack'm Up!
www.woodsandwateroutdoors.com
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13127444 04/18/19 06:17 PM
Buff2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
What my live scope has taught me is that scent matters more than color.
I will have 2 fellows fishing side by side with 2 different color jigs and if one has lost his crappie nibble he will not get a bite until he puts another one on.
I have seen it over and over.

Marty Thomas
LOP Crappie fishing guide
https://www.facebook.com/Lake-O-the-Pines-Crappie-Fishing-414011322706312/
lakeothepinescrappiefishing.com
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13127558 04/18/19 08:30 PM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Line size is type as well as lure weight are the two most important factors in any type of fishing.

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13127603 04/18/19 09:16 PM
B
boocat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I would just be happy to find that brushpile.

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13127796 04/19/19 01:10 AM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
hmmm

Last edited by bush hog; 04/19/19 01:11 AM.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: bush hog] #13127809 04/19/19 01:37 AM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by crappie brother
Well to be honest it's the fisherman! Everything else is really secondary but if I had to give an answer start with basic items in size/weight/color etc.. and just fish. The fewer variables at first the better.

you're probably correct. Yep, there are so many variables. I'll at least eliminate a few factors (hopefully). Thanks for your comments.
Tim

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Buff2] #13127810 04/19/19 01:39 AM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I
Originally Posted by Buff2
What my live scope has taught me is that scent matters more than color.
I will have 2 fellows fishing side by side with 2 different color jigs and if one has lost his crappie nibble he will not get a bite until he puts another one on.
I have seen it over and over.

that's one factor I should definitely add in. Maybe one of the biggest. Thanks for your comment. Tim

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #13127812 04/19/19 01:40 AM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Line size is type as well as lure weight are the two most important factors in any type of fishing.

Yep, 2 more important factors. I'll consider adding weight too. Tim

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: boocat] #13127814 04/19/19 01:40 AM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by boocat
I would just be happy to find that brushpile.

Yeah, me too ::)

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13128783 04/20/19 12:04 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
The results of any control experiment regarding the variables aren't usually consistent from outing to outing, from angler to angler or between waters. Anglers differ when it comes to using the same lures: one will outperform another consistently. But of the variables that can be tested and grouped, I would imagine there are some that generally prove reliable for a majority of equally skilled anglers and maybe those not so skilled.
Here are few that can be tested and proven true a majority of the time:
Line size affects lure action. Too large a diameter and the lures action is muffled and negated.

Lure action with certain presentations - lure speed especially - must be standardized or fish won't bite. Work some lures too fast and steadily and fish will let those lures pass untouched.

Line size and firmness affect strike detection. The thicker and more firm the line, the more muffled strike detection.

Rod action affects light strike detection and hook sets when using light lures. To firm a rod when using 1/16 oz or lighter lures doesn't transmit light strikes and more often than not fish pull themselves free.

Lure or jig weight dictates where they can be generally used. 1/32 oz jigs are generally not the weight of choice fishing depths of 8' or more whereas 1/8 oz or heavier access deeper water more efficiently. But as will all lure related variables, can heavier jigheads do a well as lighter jigs using the same lure size and design? Again, other variables have to be considered regarding where, how and what is used making any answer conditional.

Line color is easy to prove least important. Many of us have caught fish on nearly invisible fluorocarbon and bright fluorescent lines and on most outings - even ice fishing.

Superior lure color(s) is also easy to disprove. I can use 10 colors of Crappie Magnet grubs and catch just as many fish on the same outing. Ditto for many finesse soft plastics, fur or feather lures. Another question posed can be: can only one color be used and still catch as many fish in the same boat as one who switches colors and also catches fish? I proven many times it is so.

Does fishing pressure affect quality, quantity and ease of catching fish? The variables tested will most likely have different outcomes based on pressure and average numbers of fish kept.

When it comes to fishing related experiments, two things should be constant: equal skill level of the anglers testing each set of variables using the same tackle when tackle isn't being tested. What's more is where and when the experiments are held: the same water all year long or different waters; different seasonal weather patterns; prespawn, spawn and postspawn periods would exclude findings the rest of the year. Variables become unreliable if any of the above is different and the number of outing are too few.

I'm constantly experimenting with lure designs and presentations using the same and different lures. Some results are consistent and somewhat predictive; some not so much. Simple is as simple does and though many experts strongly suggest reasons why fish bite, few stand up to testing.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 04/20/19 12:17 PM.
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: SenkoSam] #13128798 04/20/19 12:31 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by SenkoSam
The results of any control experiment regarding the variables aren't usually consistent from outing to outing, from angler to angler or between waters. Anglers differ when it comes to using the same lures: one will outperform another consistently. But of the variables that can be tested and grouped, I would imagine there are some that generally prove reliable for a majority of equally skilled anglers and maybe those not so skilled.
Here are few that can be tested and proven true a majority of the time:
Line size affects lure action. Too large a diameter and the lures action is muffled and negated.

Lure action with certain presentations - lure speed especially - must be standardized or fish won't bite. Work some lures too fast and steadily and fish will let those lures pass untouched.

Line size and firmness affect strike detection. The thicker and more firm the line, the more muffled strike detection.

Rod action affects light strike detection and hook sets when using light lures. To firm a rod when using 1/16 oz or lighter lures doesn't transmit light strikes and more often than not fish pull themselves free.

Lure or jig weight dictates where they can be generally used. 1/32 oz jigs are generally not the weight of choice fishing depths of 8' or more whereas 1/8 oz or heavier access deeper water more efficiently. But as will all lure related variables, can heavier jigheads do a well as lighter jigs using the same lure size and design? Again, other variables have to be considered regarding where, how and what is used making any answer conditional.

Line color is easy to prove least important. Many of us have caught fish on nearly invisible fluorocarbon and bright fluorescent lines and on most outings - even ice fishing.

Superior lure color(s) is also easy to disprove. I can use 10 colors of Crappie Magnet grubs and catch just as many fish on the same outing. Ditto for many finesse soft plastics, fur or feather lures. Another question posed can be: can only one color be used and still catch as many fish in the same boat as one who switches colors and also catches fish? I proven many times it is so.

Does fishing pressure affect quality, quantity and ease of catching fish? The variables tested will most likely have different outcomes based on pressure and average numbers of fish kept.

When it comes to fishing related experiments, two things should be constant: equal skill level of the anglers testing each set of variables using the same tackle when tackle isn't being tested. What's more is where and when the experiments are held: the same water all year long or different waters; different seasonal weather patterns; prespawn, spawn and postspawn periods would exclude findings the rest of the year. Variables become unreliable if any of the above is different and the number of outing are too few.

I'm constantly experimenting with lure designs and presentations using the same and different lures. Some results are consistent and somewhat predictive; some not so much. Simple is as simple does and though many experts strongly suggest reasons why fish bite, few stand up to testing.

Exactly the right approach. Im actually more interested in disproving factors. I like simplicity in my tackle. As you noted, there are tons of variables, probably most important is skill. Controls are hard to come by in experiments. Thanks for your detailed response. Tim

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13128845 04/20/19 02:23 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
LIKE JERRY SAID , Keep it pretty simple, just go!!!! like others have said, 1 K I S S & 2 Pro Anglers rods,lol good stuff, GET EM JERRY.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide