Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13126784 04/18/19 12:26 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Most likely you’re screwed, I had a crankshaft snap in a Chevrolet 5.7 at 41k miles. Chevrolet made me eat the new motor. They said the crankshaft was defective, but no warranty, no fix.

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: grout-scout] #13126805 04/18/19 12:42 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Most likely you’re screwed, I had a crankshaft snap in a Chevrolet 5.7 at 41k miles. Chevrolet made me eat the new motor. They said the crankshaft was defective, but no warranty, no fix.

A good friend of mine had that happen in his 2500 with the 6.2L in it.

Thankfully for him it was at 30K so they replaced the engine.

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13126818 04/18/19 12:57 AM
D
DieselP2 Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Depending on what brand it is some companies offer after warranty assistance . There are several key factors such as maintenance history at the dealer, brand loyalty (# of new vehicles of that particular brand bought by you) , if you are the original owner, etc. Most bigger ford dealer are allotted p18 money. It is a number that ford allows that dealer every quarter to help in situations just like yours. If it’s a ford ask for assistance and if the advisor won’t help ask to speak to the service manager. A lot of varying factors and money can be moved ( reducing parts price, labor rate,etc) . Lastly you can contact the manufacturers customer assistance hotline and they may work with you. You’ll get further being polite and respectful. I’ve been lucky enough to see the other side of this situation so i use it in my personal experiences. Example, I bought my Basscat new from tommy at Rockwall marine. I had a Evinrude midsection gasket fail 1 month out of warranty. Even though I am a mechanic for a living I still paid to have all services performed on the boat by Rockwall marine with oem parts so they would be on file. When the time came Rockwall presented those facts to brp and they offered to split the billl which I thought was very fair and I was also very appreciative of Tommy’s help. These are the things that no one speaks of when bashing dealers for service and repair. 1 bad experience and people tell 10 friends. 1 great experience and people tell 1 person. Not always the case but seems more par for the course from my experience. Hope this helps you in some way on getting your vehicle fixed.

Wesley
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13126855 04/18/19 01:25 AM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Thanks for all the feedback. In the end I know it is out of warranty, I was basically curious about others opinions and experiences. BTW I was told today the new tranny will have 100,000 mile warranty. What does that say? I think it says either they have improved them or they really like financing extended warranties up front.

I am a production manager for an American made product that is sold all over the world. I was just shocked that an American company refused to stand behind their product. Someone calls us with a problem it is resolved most of the time on our dime immediately. It is way to easy to trash companies now days, you have to give good customer service and yes give stuff away if you want to survive.

In the end, I have a 99 Toyota 4 Runner with nearly 300,000 miles that has never had a drive train issue. Unfortunately I will probably be buying a Tundra for my next truck which is terribly disappointing to me! Merica!!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13126919 04/18/19 02:08 AM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Don't work through the dealer, write a letter and call car company. Probably won't help but I've had luck. I own 2 old Lexus's 05 GL470 I pull my boat with and 07 RX350. I can find 5-8 year old Lexus's with low miles and every 5K done at the dealership so they are pretty good older used cars/trucks for the price. Mine have 140K and 180K and I've rarely don't anything besides change fluids.

Anyway, my daughter had a Corolla that at about 60K had a wiring harness go out. Part was like $900. I wasn't getting anywhere with the dealer, called Lexus and told them I had 2 (didn't tell them I buy them used) and that this Corolla sucked and next time I'd buy Honda. They covered the part and I just had to pay labor. So you never know, but the dealer won't help. The car company has deeper pockets.

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127100 04/18/19 11:54 AM
Tjbev13 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Thanks for all the feedback. In the end I know it is out of warranty, I was basically curious about others opinions and experiences. BTW I was told today the new tranny will have 100,000 mile warranty. What does that say? I think it says either they have improved them or they really like financing extended warranties up front.

I am a production manager for an American made product that is sold all over the world. I was just shocked that an American company refused to stand behind their product. Someone calls us with a problem it is resolved most of the time on our dime immediately. It is way to easy to trash companies now days, you have to give good customer service and yes give stuff away if you want to survive.

In the end, I have a 99 Toyota 4 Runner with nearly 300,000 miles that has never had a drive train issue. Unfortunately I will probably be buying a Tundra for my next truck which is terribly disappointing to me! Merica!!

I can already tell you are talking about a Chevy/GMC with the warranty periods now going to 60k powertrain, I drive the same truck and ill be the first to say the Toyota Tundra is more American made than our GM's just a FYI. They are made in Texas to be exact.

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127114 04/18/19 12:14 PM
Champion1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Tundras are made in San Antonio so maybe not American made but it is Texas made!

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127249 04/18/19 02:29 PM
J
J-SPENCER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I worked for a dealership for 13 years...……...The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Throw a fit, do not take "no" for an answer, contact the service manager, then the general manager, then the zone rep, then contact "customer service" on the internet. They will take care of you. Seen it happen a million times. Usually the worst case is you split the cost 50/50

www.spencersautorepair.com

some men know the price of everything and the value of nothing
Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127317 04/18/19 03:43 PM
C
CBoone Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C

I would be speaking with the manufacturer - not the dealer.

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127885 04/19/19 03:19 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I would talk to them saying how bout I pay half you pay half kind of deal. I see your frustration.

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127915 04/19/19 04:16 AM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I worked in dealer service departments for about 14 years - mostly as warranty administrator or service advisor. Be happy to give you my 2 cents.

First you need to speak to the service manager and have him arrange a meeting with the district service manager (i.e. rep from the manufacturer). It sounds like you've done this. Some manufacturers are more willing to help than others. In my experience Ford reps were more generous than GM or Chrysler - but I guess that's a moot point. Probably the most important factor in the decision process is - "Can we make this person a happy, return customer?". If you start off with "I hate this truck. I'll never buy another *BRAND* vehicle, etc." you're shooting yourself in the foot. They want to know that spending money to satisfy you is going to pay off in the long run. Other important factors: Did you buy the vehicle new? Did you buy it from this dealer? Do you stay current on maintenance? Do you have the maintenance done at the dealership? (I.E. are you spending money with them?) Does the truck look well cared for, or like it's been rode hard and put away wet?

If they refuse to cover the repairs 100%, try to negotiate. Maybe they will pay 80%. Maybe they will pay the labor and 50% of the parts? (They have more room to negotiate on the labor than the parts. On the other hand, the manufacturer makes a profit on the parts and 0 profit on the labor. The dealer gets all of the profit from the labor). Maybe they will pay 100% if you agree to pay for a 60k mile service (probably $500 - $600 depending on the vehicle). Maybe they will give you full trade-in value and fix the transmission on their own budget. Lots of possibilities.

Most importantly, try to keep a positive goal-oriented attitude. Getting mad or argumentative won't help at all. Try to show them that by spending some money they can make you a happy customer for life. Best of luck!!

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127916 04/19/19 04:19 AM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Just have to add one more thing. I love my 2012 Tundra with the 5.7. It tows like a son-of-gun and I've never had an issue. *knocks wood*

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127934 04/19/19 08:44 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Toyota is American made so why would choosing one disappoint you?

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bass Buster1] #13127949 04/19/19 10:52 AM
B
bigfishwilb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Might want to look at that American made (built is a better term) Toyota transmission. I'd bet that part is Japan built still to this day. Always have been.
I owned 3 Toyotas. 2 older 20R and 22R motor truck sold. Both had over 200K on them. My last was a 2013 Tundra which gained a whopping 10.3 MPG towing. If it saw a gas station, I had to stop at it.

Switched to and Eco Deisel and glad I have. 2016 model. 26.7 MPG non towing and 15-17 with boat depending on my foot in gas. To date nothing has had an issue. Bumper to bumper for it until 2024 or 120K. So far 39000 on it without a hiccup.

Bottom line is all these trucks are good but designed to fail. That's how the dealers and mechanics earn your business. They are too electronic conrolled and computer chip based. If we expect that to never fail then we all are suckers!

Just my 2 cents.......

Patrick Wilbricht
San Antonio TX
Ardent Outdoors Prostaff
Owner, PFK Limitless Fishing

Re: Tow Vehicle woes [Re: Bobby Milam] #13128325 04/19/19 07:05 PM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
Toyota is American made so why would choosing one disappoint you?

Because no matter where they are made, (cars are made all over the world at this point) the companies PROFITS go overseas. I will never buy a vehicle made by a company that is not based in the USA. I wish more people in this country had this point of view. Let the Japanese people buy Japanese cars put together in the USA.

Last edited by SoCal Tom; 04/19/19 07:09 PM. Reason: clarification

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide