Forums59
Topics1,037,849
Posts13,935,482
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Okie Poke] #13117902 04/08/19 10:59 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
after reading all this,...maybe High Schools aren't ready for organized bass fishing. frown

We have a winner!

after reading all this,...maybe High Schools aren't ready for organized bass fishing. frown

We have a winner!

A lot of the high schools arent involved whatsoever. Its part of the problem. But, having them involved creates its own set of issues also. After starting and running a club for three years Id say for the long term, best interest, its better to have the school oversee the club.

Bass Cat Eyra
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: JIM SR.] #13117907 04/08/19 11:03 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Having a few 'referee/officials boats' on the water may be a good idea. noidea

Sure how complicated do you want to make it. Maybe it would be a good idea to let competive fishing start at the college level and below that let parents start kids out at the club level and whatever trails the decide to enter together the way its happened since this sport was born. The whole "scholarship" deal instead of money seems... like a loophole.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117918 04/08/19 11:16 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I have enjoyed my 3 years being a captain for my son and his partner (even though I give them a hard time about my precious time). My son and his partner graduate this year and I plan to be available if our school needs a captain next year. I think it is sad to see so many say they have thought about volunteering their time but have decided not to because of the words typed by a few keyboard warriors. Just a quick math analysis - THSBA has 8 divisions, each division pulling 125+ boats each tournament - comes out to 1000+ boats. Maybe a handful of guys on here complaining, but lets say you found 100 people who complained, thats only about 10% and it would take 100 people to complain to get to that number. Now look up the reviews for your favorite restaurant that are online, I doubt only 10% would be negative. Unfortunately you dont get the other 90% happy customer's logging in to tell you how great their experience was.

I should add that none of us, or THSBA/SETX/etc. have governing power over the lakes. If you have an issue because the numbers in these tournaments being on your lake then take it up with TP&W . You might want to add Bass Champs, TTZ, etc. to your complaint list though because of the numbers they are putting on the lake. But unlike Champs, TTZ, and others, the THSBA actually works to limit their numbers by expanding more divisions every year to try to get the number down. Unfortunately for some of you their popularity just keeps growing every year, and for good reason.

And the people that havent been involved in an event should realize the majority of boaters/captains in these tournaments are not novice like most complainers on here want to claim. Most of the boaters are tournament anglers themselves and if they are being rude during high school tournaments then you can bet they are doing the same stuff in all those other events you might be participating in.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: SC-001] #13117925 04/08/19 11:20 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
Having a few 'referee/officials boats' on the water may be a good idea. noidea

Sure how complicated do you want to make it. Maybe it would be a good idea to let competive fishing start at the college level and below that let parents start kids out at the club level and whatever trails the decide to enter together the way its happened since this sport was born. The whole "scholarship" deal instead of money seems... like a loophole.

Yeah, more encouragement for these kids to go to college is a "loophole". hmmm

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Chris Robinson] #13117954 04/08/19 11:44 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson
Rules are rules and everyone who fishes enough tournaments will eventually make mistakes sooner or later. Most are purely unintentional (like this situation). My problem with this whole issue the fact that the photo wasnt given to the TD prior to the event and even worse, the team wasn't notified in advance by the TD they had already made a rules infraction. They obviously broke a rule but to spring it on them after the fact the way they did is pretty chicken s!@$ in my opinion. Had they known, they would have likely not even fished but instead they had a good finish and spent their time and effort trying to compete only to have it stripped away due to someone simply looking for a reason to try and get someone DQ'd. As far as the TD and the High School series, I have never in my life seen the amount of restrictions and rules emphasized as I have personally experienced being a boat captain myself for these kids. There is a balance between keeping and abiding by a good set of rules for any event of this size and nature but those rules are there to protect the ones who don't intentionally abuse the system and not as an excuse to teach young anglers a lesson. Everyone makes mistakes like these kids made but there is a point where the TD should have asked the photo taker "why did you not give us this photo prior to the event?" The other question I personally have for the high school series is where does all the money go? These kids are competing against hundreds of other teams essentially for bragging rights. No other series with as strict of rules policy out there, taking in the kind of cash they do for each event, pays out in hand outs. No matter how you slice it, the placing teams are receiving items that are given as a donated item provided by an event sponsor. Its a door prize. Getting a free rod and reel and a plaque doesnt cost the event holder anywhere close to what is being brought in (if anything at all) nor does a scholarship. If you're gonna act like a bunch of money is on the line with your rules (like most major events do), give them some incentive more than something that didnt cost you anything like a free rod. Otherwise, if all thats at stake in these events is one school simply having bragging rights over the others, let the entry fee reflect what you're paying out to these kids which is essentially nothing. Thats my two cents and anyway you try and justify it, it's wrong to collect money and not pay it out,,, especially when its kids.

Finally, To whomever took this photo : spend more time working to figure out how to catch them instead worrying about everyone else and you'll win more tournaments. As far as Im concerned, the only person with egg on their face in this situation is you sir. It shows how you spent your practice time.

Chris- in case you didnt realize it, THSBA is giving out over a half million dollars in prizes and scholarship money this year to the kids. Not only do the board members not receive any compensation for what they do, but they also do not even receive any reimbursement for their expenses of going to meetings or tournaments. It seems that a lot of people just like to make accusations about THSBA without any knowledge. People on this forum seem to act a lot like todays politicians.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Okie Poke] #13117958 04/08/19 11:52 PM
petro Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

We have a winner!

We have a winner!

This

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: txsuperman] #13117964 04/09/19 12:01 AM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
My youngest wanted to do it, i asked whom he would partner with , i knew the kid and told him forget it. Neither had the dedication or the drive. I told him when lake list came out we would have to go to each at least 2x, fishing sunup to sundown and have a plan for each lake. No phones ( should have seen look on his face) no breaks. I fish with the lower league guts on my lake as the upper entry fee guys fish 3x as much as me. Its donating. Told my son i dont have all day to waste to donate. Judge me if you want but its like physical hard work, they help I pay. They slouch go home
Couple of friends have captained told me skill, ability, and enthusiasm across the board..... 3 on scale of 1 to 10. I agree with another poster takes a special person to stand on deck all day for a jerk on the line.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: petro] #13117965 04/09/19 12:01 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by petro

We have a winner!

We have a winner!

This

I finally won something,.....whoop !!!! what did I win..?
pollo

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Okie Poke] #13117973 04/09/19 12:15 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

We have a winner!

Yup no kidding

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: WAWI] #13118015 04/09/19 12:42 AM
B
BackSeatBuddy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
The High School anglers are not polyed, the Boat Captain is and the Boat Captained failed the Poly wich leads me to beleive there is more to the story

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: ditchpickel21] #13118074 04/09/19 01:28 AM
1bas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
You done good, by clearing things up. If ever again you slip up, as most all of us have ( not having life vest on, strapped, zipped, etc.) Immediately call or go see the tournament director. Most will authorize a restart , at which time anything that you have caught will be released. Then you will start over to do whatever you can to salvage the tournament. There may be some who will not, but @ least everything is known and up front either way. Good luck in the future.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13118087 04/09/19 01:41 AM
C
CedarCreekBassAngler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Yikes 2 out of top 5? Wonder how many would fail if they polygraphed every check winner...

They do

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Txduckhunter] #13118121 04/09/19 02:05 AM
C
Chris Robinson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Rules are rules and everyone who fishes enough tournaments will eventually make mistakes sooner or later. Most are purely unintentional (like this situation). My problem with this whole issue the fact that the photo wasnt given to the TD prior to the event and even worse, the team wasn't notified in advance by the TD they had already made a rules infraction. They obviously broke a rule but to spring it on them after the fact the way they did is pretty chicken s!@$ in my opinion. Had they known, they would have likely not even fished but instead they had a good finish and spent their time and effort trying to compete only to have it stripped away due to someone simply looking for a reason to try and get someone DQ'd. As far as the TD and the High School series, I have never in my life seen the amount of restrictions and rules emphasized as I have personally experienced being a boat captain myself for these kids. There is a balance between keeping and abiding by a good set of rules for any event of this size and nature but those rules are there to protect the ones who don't intentionally abuse the system and not as an excuse to teach young anglers a lesson. Everyone makes mistakes like these kids made but there is a point where the TD should have asked the photo taker "why did you not give us this photo prior to the event?" The other question I personally have for the high school series is where does all the money go? These kids are competing against hundreds of other teams essentially for bragging rights. No other series with as strict of rules policy out there, taking in the kind of cash they do for each event, pays out in hand outs. No matter how you slice it, the placing teams are receiving items that are given as a donated item provided by an event sponsor. Its a door prize. Getting a free rod and reel and a plaque doesnt cost the event holder anywhere close to what is being brought in (if anything at all) nor does a scholarship. If you're gonna act like a bunch of money is on the line with your rules (like most major events do), give them some incentive more than something that didnt cost you anything like a free rod. Otherwise, if all thats at stake in these events is one school simply having bragging rights over the others, let the entry fee reflect what you're paying out to these kids which is essentially nothing. Thats my two cents and anyway you try and justify it, it's wrong to collect money and not pay it out,,, especially when its kids.

Finally, To whomever took this photo : spend more time working to figure out how to catch them instead worrying about everyone else and you'll win more tournaments. As far as Im concerned, the only person with egg on their face in this situation is you sir. It shows how you spent your practice time.

You assume that you know a lot.
Have you called and asked how the money is spent? Are you POSITIVE that everything is a "gimme"? Weigh-in trailers, release tanks, etc all cost money. I can promise the money isn't being spent on the huge salaries the board is receiving......
Is $60 entry fee really too much when the possible return is anywhere from 1k -20k in scholarship money? Tell you what, go fish the FLW HS program - the entry is free and they give away 3 places at every tourney, a plaque and a package of swimbaits is the prize for 2nd, been there done that.
Are you positive that the photo in question was held until Saturday as a diabolical scheme thought up by the evil villains that have no fishing skills??
You say that that they have egg on their face, my feeling is that I've seen violations and called the captains out while on the water, I've also filed a protest before (not this one) when I saw someone doing something that could have ended tragically for everyone involved. If we do not police ourselves, then who is to blame when an accident happens and a life is lost? Perhaps if someone had protested or said something to the offending party at an earlier date, it could have been prevented.,, nah, don't want to be a "snitch" - much better to turn your head when you see wrong doing than to actively take a stand.
I follow the rules, my boys follow the rules - shouldn't everyone else follow the same rules? If not, what am I teaching these young men....

Here is the simple math
8 division with 6 events per year yielding a 200 team field (on average or more). With regular season entries only based on a 200 boat field thats 12,000$ per event taken in. 12,000 $ per event times 48 events across the state per year amounts to $576,000 in the regular season alone taken in by THBA. I completely get it cost money to put on a big event but even accounting for the "scholarship" allotments for the "state" championship its not even close to the revenue brought in during the regular season.
Those kids that did their homework and beat the entire field during a regular season event win a 1,000 $ "scholarship" to split between two kids? I know I can't be the only person out there who competes in bass tournaments every single week asking the same question and seeing something wrong with that...
You said it yourself, if the board is not receiving big salaries, then where the heck does does the rest of the 576,000 $ they took in (not including championship entries) go? It sure as heck doesnt go back to the kids competing for it. Maybe 100-150k worth in "scholarships" does if they make it to state but the rest of that cash (IMO) belongs to the kids putting in the effort to compete. If someone gets offended that I asked question that then I don't know what to tell you. Its math and from my perspective, its not adding up.

I am open for enlightenment on the subject if anyone cares to explain why I'm crazy for questioning it.

I also never one time said it was ok to not follow the rules. They are there for a reason and need to be abided by 100%.

Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Chris Robinson] #13118135 04/09/19 02:21 AM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

You assume that you know a lot.
Have you called and asked how the money is spent? Are you POSITIVE that everything is a "gimme"? Weigh-in trailers, release tanks, etc all cost money. I can promise the money isn't being spent on the huge salaries the board is receiving......
Is $60 entry fee really too much when the possible return is anywhere from 1k -20k in scholarship money? Tell you what, go fish the FLW HS program - the entry is free and they give away 3 places at every tourney, a plaque and a package of swimbaits is the prize for 2nd, been there done that.
Are you positive that the photo in question was held until Saturday as a diabolical scheme thought up by the evil villains that have no fishing skills??
You say that that they have egg on their face, my feeling is that I've seen violations and called the captains out while on the water, I've also filed a protest before (not this one) when I saw someone doing something that could have ended tragically for everyone involved. If we do not police ourselves, then who is to blame when an accident happens and a life is lost? Perhaps if someone had protested or said something to the offending party at an earlier date, it could have been prevented.,, nah, don't want to be a "snitch" - much better to turn your head when you see wrong doing than to actively take a stand.
I follow the rules, my boys follow the rules - shouldn't everyone else follow the same rules? If not, what am I teaching these young men....

Here is the simple math
8 division with 6 events per year yielding a 200 team field (on average or more). With regular season entries only based on a 200 boat field thats 12,000$ per event taken in. 12,000 $ per event times 48 events across the state per year amounts to $576,000 in the regular season alone taken in by THBA. I completely get it cost money to put on a big event but even accounting for the "scholarship" allotments for the "state" championship its not even close to the revenue brought in during the regular season.
Those kids that did their homework and beat the entire field during a regular season event win a 1,000 $ "scholarship" to split between two kids? I know I can't be the only person out there who competes in bass tournaments every single week asking the same question and seeing something wrong with that...
You said it yourself, if the board is not receiving big salaries, then where the heck does does the rest of the 576,000 $ they took in (not including championship entries) go? It sure as heck doesnt go back to the kids competing for it. Maybe 100-150k worth in "scholarships" does if they make it to state but the rest of that cash (IMO) belongs to the kids putting in the effort to compete. If someone gets offended that I asked question that then I don't know what to tell you. Its math and from my perspective, its not adding up.

I am open for enlightenment on the subject if anyone cares to explain why I'm crazy for questioning it.

I also never one time said it was ok to not follow the rules. They are there for a reason and need to be abided by 100%.

I have stayed out of it until now since you want to question where the money goes. Your math is way off.

First off, only one division averaged 200 or more boats per event. One division (Hill Country) averaged 11 boats per event. Other divisions averaged 120 to 130 boats per event. At every open event, the THSBA pledges $3500 in scholarships plus the boat captain side pot, which varies at each event depending on how many captains enter, but at last count = roughly $20,000 +\-. $3500 x 40 open events = $140,000. 4 Regional events x $20,000 in scholarships pledged = $80,000. One State Championship = $80,000 in scholarships. Total scholarships pledged = $300,000 + boat captain side pot scholarships (roughly $20,000) + $8,000 AOY scholarships + Clayton Winkles Award ($750) = $328,750. Now add in all of the plaques and team trophies at all events, plus awards and trophies for Top 10 in each event Division AOY standings, prizes given away (about half donated by sponsors), and you get another $180,000.

Now, factor in the cost to hire live release tank at well over half of the events, TD fees at each event (including hotel), we have 3 full time employees, payroll taxes, accountant fees when filing a federal tax return, D&O insurance, insurance for the student anglers, insurance for weigh in trailers, office supplies, computers to run events and office staff, Taysis tournament programs, gas for generators to run weigh in trailers, storage fees to store trailers, incidentals when something breaks or wears out, cost of THSBA merchandise (all proceeds from sales go to scholarship fund), and we are now having 3 live release tanks built for next season for optimum fish care

If you would like a to the penny accounting we will be more than happy to provide you with a financial report per 501c3 rules and regulations. All you have to do is email our office and request one.

You may want to have your figures and math correct before trying to stir the pot and accuse our association of any wrong doing, especially financially. Until then, take your inflated numbers elsewhere.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: Lewiville HS Tourny. Top 2 DQ'd?? [Re: Chris Robinson] #13118138 04/09/19 02:25 AM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Chris- THSBA is a transparent non profit organization. You can see all the income and expenditures if you go through the proper channels. If you do you will quite acting like someones getting rich in this deal and you will see that the people running it are actually losing money to do it. Please get all the facts before making accusations.

Last edited by RKT; 04/09/19 02:55 AM.
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide