texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Ray Roberts Report #13115276 04/06/19 06:48 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I fished Ray Roberts today. It was fairly windy so I stayed in the marina cove. Water temp was 64 to 66 degrees and was mostly clear. I didn't check the lake level, but it appears to be at normal pool.

I headed to the back of the cove to crappie fish an old dam that is now a long Island with 4' of water on one side and 10' on the other. I normally do pretty good back there this time of year. I caught a few dinks on a road runner, but the bite was really slow. I then tied on 1/16 jig head with natural body and small bobber set to 24". I tossed into 3' of water and BAM.... I pulled in a 14" fat girl as soon as it hit the water. I didn't weigh her, but I would be surprised if she didn't break two pounds!

I thought I was on to something and stuck with the bobber for about an hour. Nothing frown. I switched back to the road runner and fished my way towards the main lake. I caught another dink and a 1 pound spotted bass. I pulled into my slip to get out of the sun for a bit and they were crushing the crappie from the dock. My neighbor was using my basket because his was full!

I didn't feel like fishing from the dock so I pulled out my bass rod and tied on a senko. I caught 2 largemouth and 4 spots between 1 and 2.5 pounds from about 6pm to 8pm. All were caught while sitting in 6 to 8 feet and casting into a fairly steep bank. There weren't huge, but they were strong and put up a good fight.

All said... Capping are starting to spawn (Ray Bob is always a week or two behind the other lakes) and the bass are starting to move up. The next 30 to 60 days will be a good time on Ray Roberts!

Re: Ray Roberts Report [Re: Mike@972] #13115360 04/06/19 12:35 PM
R
Ryno Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Great report Mike! One of these days we will have to meet up and do some fishing.
Im closer to the west side of Ray Bob as opposed to Buck Creek. Maybe the boy and I will give the marina a try next time. IF we ever get a weekend where it doesnt rain.

Last edited by Ryno; 04/06/19 12:35 PM.

Thank you Lord for the gifts in my life
Re: Ray Roberts Report [Re: Mike@972] #13115426 04/06/19 02:08 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Thanks Ryno!

The marina cove doesn't have a lot of structure (other than the actual marina) but its almost always decent to good fishing. There are monster cats in there too! A 30 foot channel runs under the marina and folks catch several 20 to 45 pounders each year.

Re: Ray Roberts Report [Re: Mike@972] #13117806 04/08/19 09:25 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by Mike@972
I fished Ray Roberts today. It was fairly windy so I stayed in the marina cove. Water temp was 64 to 66 degrees and was mostly clear. I didn't check the lake level, but it appears to be at normal pool.

I headed to the back of the cove to crappie fish an old dam that is now a long Island with 4' of water on one side and 10' on the other. I normally do pretty good back there this time of year. I caught a few dinks on a road runner, but the bite was really slow. I then tied on 1/16 jig head with natural body and small bobber set to 24". I tossed into 3' of water and BAM.... I pulled in a 14" fat girl as soon as it hit the water. I didn't weigh her, but I would be surprised if she didn't break two pounds!

I thought I was on to something and stuck with the bobber for about an hour. Nothing frown. I switched back to the road runner and fished my way towards the main lake. I caught another dink and a 1 pound spotted bass. I pulled into my slip to get out of the sun for a bit and they were crushing the crappie from the dock. My neighbor was using my basket because his was full!

I didn't feel like fishing from the dock so I pulled out my bass rod and tied on a senko. I caught 2 largemouth and 4 spots between 1 and 2.5 pounds from about 6pm to 8pm. All were caught while sitting in 6 to 8 feet and casting into a fairly steep bank. There weren't huge, but they were strong and put up a good fight.

All said... Capping are starting to spawn (Ray Bob is always a week or two behind the other lakes) and the bass are starting to move up. The next 30 to 60 days will be a good time on Ray Roberts!

Sounds like a nice little day on the water Mike, i think i might make a drive up there this upcoming Sunday if the weather holds up and try to get the Garmin dialed in and get on some bass, Crappie, whites, anything that bites pretty much.

Ray
Re: Ray Roberts Report [Re: Mike@972] #13118202 04/09/19 03:17 AM
P
PondFishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Over by Ray Roberts marina I found a ton of bass out past the island in the southern cove (straight back instead of heading towards the ramp/pull out). I believe this is exactly where you were. I probably saw you out there as I'm on the last dock of the marina in a house boat and I've seen a ton of yakkers these past few days.

Best yesterday was 5.5lb and they are bedding up like crazy. I was trying everything to get a bite from beds but nothing, pissed a few bass off but there's got to be a BIG GIRL ready for one of us over there. I'll be going out at 7am-8am tomorrow and trying some more.

I see a ton of people bank beating towards the ramp and lift out. I had been concentrating over there and only catching dinks so I think that old dam could be one of the hottest spots in this area right now and it's not getting any action.

Re: Ray Roberts Report [Re: PondFishin] #13118256 04/09/19 04:29 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by PondFishin
Over by Ray Roberts marina I found a ton of bass out past the island in the southern cove (straight back instead of heading towards the ramp/pull out). I believe this is exactly where you were. I probably saw you out there as I'm on the last dock of the marina in a house boat and I've seen a ton of yakkers these past few days.

Best yesterday was 5.5lb and they are bedding up like crazy. I was trying everything to get a bite from beds but nothing, pissed a few bass off but there's got to be a BIG GIRL ready for one of us over there. I'll be going out at 7am-8am tomorrow and trying some more.

I see a ton of people bank beating towards the ramp and lift out. I had been concentrating over there and only catching dinks so I think that old dam could be one of the hottest spots in this area right now and it's not getting any action.

Nice, I'm in Boathouse 1 and fish out of a camo Hobie PA 14 with Boonedox landing gear. I haul my kayak, so I use the ramp when I'm there. I fish the back of the marina cove often. Give me a holler if you see me... I always have a couple cold beverages in back of "Scooter"!

Re: Ray Roberts Report [Re: Mike@972] #13129364 04/21/19 04:57 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I fished the marina cove and a cove about 1 mile north today. The weather was much better that the fishing wink. I was not expecting a great day because there was zero overcast and it was 45 degrees last night. However, I did expect to do better than I did.

I didn't feel like crappie fishing and saw zero sign of sandbass, so I spent the entire afternoon and evening bass fishing. The water temp was 63 to 66 degrees and it was very stained. I threw watermelon lizards, 9" purple worm with ribbon tail (aka "old faithful"), red and green senkos, shad colored swim bait and a chatterbait.

I ended up with 5 fish between 12" and 14". Most were fatties and strong, but certainly didn't break any lake records. All were caught on a red senko and old faithful. They were on shallow banks in about 3' of water. The steeper banks didn't produce anything this time.

I didn't see any one else catch a lot of fish, so I chalked it up to a slow day. Then I heard that today's bass tournament was won with 29lbs. Translation... I stink at fishing roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide