Page 1 of 2 1 2
Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce #13094227 03/16/19 03:48 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
Hey all, just wanted to post the results of an experiment I did. I usually grow my plants DWC (deep water culture). Its were you plant your plants in a net pot and the roots soak in a solution of hydroponic nutrients. You add an air stone to airiate the water so the plants dont drown. I knew about another method called the Kratky method named after a professor in Hawaii who developed it. Basically you plant the plants in water, but no ariation. The theory is that as the plant exsorbs (drinks) the water the water level drops. This exposes the upper roots to the air thus airiating the roots so again the plant doesnt drown. I happen to have a small empty container that had lemonade powder mix in it. I was about to throw it away and I though...this maybe a perfect container to try some Kratky grown lettuce. The 2 net pots I use happen to fit perfect into the opening of the container.

The below plant is a little over 4 weeks old from seed. The plant looks good but is a bit leggy. I blame that on it really didnt get good light. It was placed at the very edge under my grow light and only received indirect light. But all and all Im pretty impressed. It really doesnt get much easier than this. Once planted there basically is no maintenance. The plant has grow to that size only using about a cup of water (there is still about a cup left in the container). In addition it only cost me about 20 cents. I got the container for free, the net cups are like 15 cents each and I use a piece of pool noodle for my grow media in the net cup (maybe 2 cents worth of pool noodle). Im going to try some more but this time with better lighting in hopes of getting a fuller plant.

[Linked Image]

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13095212 03/17/19 10:46 PM
S
Siberman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I would've thought that the young plant would die before it absorbed enough water to expose the roots . Looks good . thumb

Got a link for those "net cups" ?

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13095293 03/18/19 12:00 AM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
Wow! Someone actually responded to this thread. Thanks Siberman! I bought my net pots at a local hydroponics store. But just go to Amazon and type in 2 inch net pots and youll have an endless supply to choose from. And yes, the baby plants roots were submerged in water until they get bigger (about 3 weeks) then on thier 4th week they really start sucking up the water. Who knew you could grow a full head of lettuce with just 2 cups of water!?

I gotta admit I have been growing this indoor micro garden for about 7 months now. Im no tree hugger by any means but now that I know what I do, I wonder why doesnt everyone do this? I was never a big salad eater but I do like it on my sandwiches, burgers and tacos. I live alone and most lettuce Id buy would go bad before I ate it all. Then one day I figured why not just grow my own (I have past experience with indoor hydroponics, but thats a different story).

I have had a fresh supply of lettuce for the past 4+ months and havent bought any from the grocery store! The more I read up on it the more I realized how much that one half head, unused lettuce I would throw away cost to the environment. It has to be grown in different places depending on the season to supply us with fresh lettuce. Its then watered, fertilizerd and insecticides are sprayed on it to protect it from bugs.Then it has to be packaged and shipped (plastics and shipped via oil burning trucks) to get the the store. This is all well known, but to now know with minimal effort, minimal cost I can not only save that square footage of earth needed to supply me with my lettuce needs, its actually much fresher and better tasting than anything I could normally buy anyway!

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13095300 03/18/19 12:07 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
i will attempt this

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13095309 03/18/19 12:15 AM
trlrman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Great idea on the pool noodle

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13096555 03/19/19 03:30 AM
P
Perchy Perch Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I've dabbled a little bit in the kratky method. Is there a special way of germinating seeds in a pool noodle or do you just slice one side down and stick the seeds in? I've only used rockwool.

-John
Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13096776 03/19/19 01:33 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
Good luck Butch! If you have any questions let me know. Don't be discouraged if the first attempt or two doesn't work out as planned. Like many things, there can be a learning curve.

The pool noodles...I agree a great idea!, but not mine. Below is the video I watched were I got the idea. He sticks his in the holes of the reservoir he grows in. I wanted to use mine in the net pots. My pool noodle is orange because it was off season for pool noodles when I bought it and it was the only one the dollar store had left. I cut mine maybe 3/4" to 1" long. Then I cut a piece out like cutting a pie until it fits comfortably in the net pot (start with cutting a small piece off then cut more off as needed). There should still be a small hole in the center of the noodle. If you are starting plants (or clones) with a pretty good sized stem, you can go ahead and plant. For seedlings I just eye it and cut a piece off the chunk I already cut off to fill the hole. Below is an example of a seedling and a clone.

The main thing that attracted me to this method is because I'm cheap and I live in a tiny apartment. I could easily buy rockwool, but it's disposable and more [censored] I would have to store. I could also have used the hydroton, but then I felt it would be a mess if I wanted to clean it between grows. So the pool noodle has worked out great for me! You can get like 50 pot inserts off one $1.00 pool noodle. And they are fully reusable. I just throw them in a small tub full of water, add some bleach and squish them around in it for a few minutes. Rinse and dry and they are ready to use again.

And as to planting my baby plants in the net pots. I start my seeds with the old paper towel in a sandwich bag technique. But I stand them upright to make sure the seedlings grow upwards. Once the first set of baby leaves have opened and turned green and the root is easily long enough to clear the bottom of the pool noodle, I put them in the pool noodle that then goes in the net pot. (pic below...also note how I up-cycled empty sour cream tubs for my seedlings).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Urban Fisher; 03/19/19 01:36 PM.

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13096970 03/19/19 04:38 PM
K
kdub#1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
It's for a science project, I swear.

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13097087 03/19/19 06:40 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Are you cloning? If so, what and why?

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Cast] #13097136 03/19/19 07:47 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
Originally Posted by Cast
Are you cloning? If so, what and why?

Yup, one of the pics above is a clone. I guess it's more of a cutting, but we always called them clones back in my old hydro days. What is it?...a tomato plant. Tip of a sucker branch was cut and it was planted in hydro solution until it grew roots (and then becomes a full sized plant). Why? Mainly for fun and to make sure I still can. Also it helps in a small system like mine were I don't have a lot of grow room. As one plant lives out it's life, rather than start a new one from seed, you can clone it and have a mini mature plant much quicker (then starting from seed).

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13097211 03/19/19 09:24 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
What age was the mother tomato plant? Do you have to take cuttings before a certain age or phase?

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Cast] #13097250 03/19/19 10:06 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
Originally Posted by Cast
What age was the mother tomato plant? Do you have to take cuttings before a certain age or phase?

Good question. I guess there is no hard and fast rule. You can take one anytime the mother plant is big enough to cut off a small branch and not hurt it. The cutting above actually had small flower buds on it, but once it takes root and starts to grow they fall off. As to how old? Not really sure. Once the fruit has been harvested and its definitely on its end of life, its probably too late.

If anyone is interested I also developed a way to grow micro greens with no soil or media...just plain tap water. And those are fun because they go from planting to harvest in anywhere from 5-10 days. Non special grow lights or hydroponic nutrients needed.

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13097285 03/19/19 10:39 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I struggle with cloning/cuttings. Mom could do it with anything anytime.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13097307 03/19/19 11:03 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
I actually have great luck with it. Cant think of a time when one didnt take root. Heck, most of mine end up in the trash because if I trim up a plant I usually make a few clones for fun...but I dont have room to actually grow them out. I have two tomato plants growing now (and they just started producing some small tomatoes) and both are clones.

My only advice I can offer is that I start mine with the cut end submerged in water. No root hormon or nutrients needed (at least to get it to grow roots). But, they can be very sensitive to ph. Tap water here is like 7.8...way too high for most plants. Instead of buying a ph meter and ph adjuster, try plain drinking water bought from a store (drinking water not distilled). Also make sure they are covered (I just put a sandwich bag over them) and keep them away from direct light for the first few days. The clone in the pic above is two weeks old from cutting. You can see the roots it has grown.

Re: Super Cheap and Easy Hydro Lettuce [Re: Urban Fisher] #13097477 03/20/19 01:44 AM
T
Tommar Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
I saw the first part of the thread title and thought you met my ex wife.

US Army and TXARNG 1984-2014
Gulf War 90-91
Iraq 2004-05
A'stan 2009
VFW Post Commander 2013-15
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide