Print Thread
What's Happening with Holiday Marina? #13092426 03/14/19 06:26 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
A buddy launched at Holiday a few days ago and called to tell me that when he was there he was informed that the Sabine River Authority is reclaiming the land on which the Marina resides. When he asked why, he was told that reason given was the SRA said there wasn't enough public access to that end of the lake. Whatever that means.

Anyone know anything about this? What the SRA's plan is for the place? Supposedly the marina has til the end of the month to vacate.

Now keep in mind, this is all third hand news, just inquiring here to see if anyone can clear any of this up?

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: What's Happening with Holiday Marina? [Re: psycho0819] #13092438 03/14/19 06:37 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
This was reported on in the bass section a couple months ago. SRA's plans are to build a multi-use facility with ramps, pavillion, etc.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: What's Happening with Holiday Marina? [Re: psycho0819] #13092474 03/14/19 07:16 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Interesting, I did try a forum search but got nothing on it.

I called the SRA a few minutes ago. Sounds like they want Holiday gone more than anything else. It's bittersweet to me, I use Holiday for the relative security it provides as opposed to public ramp. On the other hand, I can certainly see where nobody will run the place that can keep any motivation for more than about 6 months after taking it over. Oh well, I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Re: What's Happening with Holiday Marina? [Re: psycho0819] #13093361 03/15/19 05:06 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
This is good news. Holiday has continually been falling apart.

Re: What's Happening with Holiday Marina? [Re: forkduc] #13095951 03/18/19 05:31 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by forkduc

I'm not convinced that it is good news just yet.

Confidence is pretty high that Holiday will be closed off completely for at least a period of time while SRA completes any demo/construction they have planned. Very likely that period of time will see it unusable during the spring this year, the busiest time for any ramp or marina on the lake.The public ramp close by will not handle the capacity of traffic that Holiday sees during normal operation. Then there's the relative security aspect to consider. While Holiday is far from the nicest facility in the world, it did provide a certain amount of security for its users, where any kind of public access launch typically has no security provisions for our trucks. Fold all of that in with the fact that launching anywhere else to fish that end of the lake means a longer drive by land to get to Thousand Trails, or a longer voyage by boat on the water to travel from the state park or two-mile, and I'm not seeing this whole deal as some kind of blessing. It didn't take long for me to view Holiday as nothing more than a ramp to launch and load my boat. But for that purpose, it has served myself, as well as other fishermen, fairly well over the years. Like I said, guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Re: What's Happening with Holiday Marina? [Re: psycho0819] #13096787 03/19/19 01:46 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Sometimes the road to improvement has a few bumps! In the long run temporary inconvenience is a small price to pay for long term good.

Re: What's Happening with Holiday Marina? [Re: psycho0819] #13096856 03/19/19 02:36 PM
C
CBoone Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by psycho0819
Originally Posted by forkduc

I'm not convinced that it is good news just yet.

Confidence is pretty high that Holiday will be closed off completely for at least a period of time while SRA completes any demo/construction they have planned. Very likely that period of time will see it unusable during the spring this year, the busiest time for any ramp or marina on the lake.The public ramp close by will not handle the capacity of traffic that Holiday sees during normal operation. Then there's the relative security aspect to consider. While Holiday is far from the nicest facility in the world, it did provide a certain amount of security for its users, where any kind of public access launch typically has no security provisions for our trucks. Fold all of that in with the fact that launching anywhere else to fish that end of the lake means a longer drive by land to get to Thousand Trails, or a longer voyage by boat on the water to travel from the state park or two-mile, and I'm not seeing this whole deal as some kind of blessing. It didn't take long for me to view Holiday as nothing more than a ramp to launch and load my boat. But for that purpose, it has served myself, as well as other fishermen, fairly well over the years. Like I said, guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

I think it will be a good thing. Word is they plan to try to move very quickly. I'll have to ask, but I thought I was told they plan to keep the bait shop open and keep the park staffed - I was honestly only half listening when I was told. I'm glad they're doing it at Holiday - originally I believe this was slated to be done at the old thousand trails place - they even started (tore down all the buildings), but decided to do Holiday instead.

Re: What's Happening with Holiday Marina? [Re: psycho0819] #13097058 03/19/19 06:11 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I always liked launching out of Holiday, I hope to again whenever this is done-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide