texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,895
Posts13,954,949
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass #13075603 02/26/19 08:11 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Other than the significant weight difference, aesthetics, & cost $$$, I was wondering what people with a lot of paddling experience think about these two types of paddles, & any benefits or cons of the two. I've been using a Werner Tybee Hooked & a Werner Skagit hooked fiberglass paddles for awhile now. Considering upgrading to a new paddle soon. Have seen some good deals on Aqua Bound & Werner CF paddles online. I really love the Bending Branches navigator paddle also but i feel like i would destroy it. I'm pretty rough on paddles at times.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/4163/Bending-Branches-Navigator-Kayak-Paddle.html

Ray
Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13075630 02/26/19 08:32 PM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
I have an all carbon werner corryvreckyn. Nice paddle no doubt but only saves like an oz of weight over the same paddle with glass blades. Imo,,,werner is hands down best production paddle made and carbon shaft with glass blades is best buy.

Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: christian myrick] #13076465 02/27/19 02:49 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Yakfishin: I replaced my cheapo paddle with a Pacific Designs paddle. They're super light, strong and inexpensive. The guy makes them in a 3-piece configuration, with thin aluminum tubing, and ABS plastic blades. I've pushed off of oyster reefs, rocks, and sand bars with mine. Very strong. I've done things with it that I wouldn't think about doing with a carbon fiber paddle. Mine is 230 cm, and weighs 29 ounces, and cost $114.00, plus postage. He has two blade sizes and will make them any length you want, feathered or not. Before I ordered, I was skeptical about the durability. I found out a guy used one in the Texas Water Safari. I called him, and he said it worked fine and he still has it. I love the 3-piece design.

Island Jim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: christian myrick] #13076726 02/27/19 06:56 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by christian myrick
I have an all carbon werner corryvreckyn. Nice paddle no doubt but only saves like an oz of weight over the same paddle with glass blades. Imo,,,werner is hands down best production paddle made and carbon shaft with glass blades is best buy.

Christian, thank you, this is mainly what I was wondering, carbon shaft with fiberglass blade seems more practical for sure. It will most likely be another Werner, very happy with the two I have now.

Jim - I will check the pacific deisgns paddles out as well. cheers

Ray
Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13076743 02/27/19 07:17 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Pretty pricey for a pretty paddle you'd be afraid of wrecking.

Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13076764 02/27/19 07:32 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
I had the glass blades corryvreckyn first. Loved it, got the cf same paddle, went from like 230 to 450. Still a great paddle but the up in price was the only thing i noticed not performance

Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: Tallgrass05] #13076773 02/27/19 07:43 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by Tallgrass05
Pretty pricey for a pretty paddle you'd be afraid of wrecking.

Yes that's definitely a lot more than i'm looking to spend on a paddle haha. I just dig the natural wood in it.

This Werner is closer to what i'm thinking about.

https://www.paddleva.com/tybee-carb...ZiKeQwjEE7imNlzGEe4EAyFucawaAoEXEALw_wcB

[Linked Image]

Ray
Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13076828 02/27/19 08:47 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
I'm pretty happy with my Aquabound Manta Ray carbon, about $190 and 29.5 ounces.

Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13076880 02/27/19 09:57 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
The tybee is a great paddle. I can also say, neumee can also attest to the fact that carbon fiber holds up well. I am hard on all my gear and paddles especially. Mine is 3 years old and been pushing off stuff since day 1. I just think the glass blades tybee is a better buy, the carbon fiber blades dont save much weight. But the price of that all carbon paddle is not bad at all.

Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13080245 03/03/19 02:38 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I'm on my second Bending Branches Navigator. The best paddle I've ever used for how I paddle. I babied it for about a week and then started using it like all my others, pushing off bridge pilings. digging through the pads, and jabbing it into the rocks. It held up great for 5 years of heavy use until the night I left it at a ramp on Fork late one night. Ordered another one right away through Mariner Sales as they had them in stock. It is just the right weight, not too light that it blows out of my lap when I'm not using it. What I like best about it is how quiet it is, especially when pushing off of oyster beds... the only way they could make it better to me is if they had applied the rock guard all the way around it... just never did like the feel and sound of carbon fiber blades scraping against anything hard. Especially like how it doesn't wobble on reverse strokes.

[Linked Image]

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13080457 03/03/19 01:50 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I've used an all carbon paddle since 2007; the same paddle. That sucker has been abused. Pushing off barnacle encrusted oil platforms 5+ miles offshore, using it as a push pole on oyster beds at the coast, to digging it into limestone rocks while running flutes of hill country rivers. It's certainly not factory fresh, but I don't expect failure anytime soon.

With paddle blades as you go from plastic to fiberglass to carbon you're producing a blade which is getting lighter and stiffer. Lightness is the obvious characteristic everyone knows and can see, but the stiffness of the blade is just as important as well as they are more efficient. When a blade flexes there is energy loss and you're not getting all the forward propulsion from your power input. Don't equate stiffness as more brittle, because it's not the case.

Generally there are 7 configurations of kayak paddles: aluminum shaft/fiberglass nylon blades, fiberglass shaft/fiberglass nylon blades, carbon shaft/fiberglass nylon blades, carbon shaft/carbon nylon blades, fiberglass shaft/fiberglass blades, carbon shaft/fiberglass blades, and carbon shaft/carbon blades.

IMO, the carbon fiber shaft with fiberglass blades are in the sweet point for price and performance.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13080484 03/03/19 02:22 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I have the all carbon Werner Camano. Have had 2 of them for about 8 years. I like the low angle blade shape better than the broader high angle blade. I mostly stand in my Commander and use the paddle while standing, the more narrow blade is easier to not bang the sides of the kayak. The all carbon light weight makes using it one handed easier. Stalking fish in the shallow marsh, sometimes with a rod in one hand, paddle in the other, you dont want a heavy paddle. I did have a Werner all fiberglass paddle for years. From the late 1980s. If you wanted a makeshift weapon to defend yourself or to build up awesome deltoids, that was your paddle. That paddle was well built, but super heavy. I think someone stole that paddle from the truck bed. No worries, I think the carbon ones are way better in every other respect.

Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: Neumie] #13082812 03/05/19 03:49 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by Neumie
I've used an all carbon paddle since 2007; the same paddle. That sucker has been abused. Pushing off barnacle encrusted oil platforms 5+ miles offshore, using it as a push pole on oyster beds at the coast, to digging it into limestone rocks while running flutes of hill country rivers. It's certainly not factory fresh, but I don't expect failure anytime soon.

With paddle blades as you go from plastic to fiberglass to carbon you're producing a blade which is getting lighter and stiffer. Lightness is the obvious characteristic everyone knows and can see, but the stiffness of the blade is just as important as well as they are more efficient. When a blade flexes there is energy loss and you're not getting all the forward propulsion from your power input. Don't equate stiffness as more brittle, because it's not the case.

Generally there are 7 configurations of kayak paddles: aluminum shaft/fiberglass nylon blades, fiberglass shaft/fiberglass nylon blades, carbon shaft/fiberglass nylon blades, carbon shaft/carbon nylon blades, fiberglass shaft/fiberglass blades, carbon shaft/fiberglass blades, and carbon shaft/carbon blades.

IMO, the carbon fiber shaft with fiberglass blades are in the sweet point for price and performance.

Great info in this response, thank you for breaking all that down.

Ray
Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: lconn4] #13082816 03/05/19 03:51 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by lconn4
I'm on my second Bending Branches Navigator. The best paddle I've ever used for how I paddle. I babied it for about a week and then started using it like all my others, pushing off bridge pilings. digging through the pads, and jabbing it into the rocks. It held up great for 5 years of heavy use until the night I left it at a ramp on Fork late one night. Ordered another one right away through Mariner Sales as they had them in stock. It is just the right weight, not too light that it blows out of my lap when I'm not using it. What I like best about it is how quiet it is, especially when pushing off of oyster beds... the only way they could make it better to me is if they had applied the rock guard all the way around it... just never did like the feel and sound of carbon fiber blades scraping against anything hard. Especially like how it doesn't wobble on reverse strokes.

[Linked Image]

Great to know that it holds up so well, it is a great looking paddle and sounds like its well worth the price.

Ray
Re: Carbon Fiber paddle vs Fiberglass [Re: karstopo] #13082824 03/05/19 03:54 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by karstopo
I have the all carbon Werner Camano. Have had 2 of them for about 8 years. I like the low angle blade shape better than the broader high angle blade. I mostly stand in my Commander and use the paddle while standing, the more narrow blade is easier to not bang the sides of the kayak. The all carbon light weight makes using it one handed easier. Stalking fish in the shallow marsh, sometimes with a rod in one hand, paddle in the other, you dont want a heavy paddle. I did have a Werner all fiberglass paddle for years. From the late 1980s. If you wanted a makeshift weapon to defend yourself or to build up awesome deltoids, that was your paddle. That paddle was well built, but super heavy. I think someone stole that paddle from the truck bed. No worries, I think the carbon ones are way better in every other respect.

I have been looking at the Camano as well, i always thought the Texas flag colored one was really cool. I should have bought one last year when they were on sale around the holidays.

Ray
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide