Forums59
Topics1,038,939
Posts13,955,888
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: thrashfish] #13068905 02/20/19 05:15 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by thrashfish
Originally Posted by T Bird
Trailer ain't coming out of any water without bow strap connected. I got way to much money invested to risk an accident vs. the 30 sec. it takes me to connect the strap.

Exactly

thumb

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13068912 02/20/19 05:18 PM
RO519 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by beartrap
if you have some reservations about not hooking up your winch strap prior to pulling up the ramp,try this....pull your boat about halfway up the ramp with winch strap hooked up....hop out and put about 6 inches of slack in your winch strap.....go to back of the boat and see if you can pull your boat backwards enough to take out that six inches of slack...get you buddy to help you pull.....pretty sure you gonna find out that if you haven't done anything to make your trailer bunks slick, once that 3000lb boat and motor sits down on that trailer,it ain't gonna move til you float it off (or have a wreck going home).obviously you need to hook up your winch strap if it's below freezing and there is a chance of ice on your trailer bunks....

Seems like doing all this would take even longer than just hooking the winch strap all the way...

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: RO519] #13068915 02/20/19 05:19 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by RO519
Originally Posted by beartrap
if you have some reservations about not hooking up your winch strap prior to pulling up the ramp,try this....pull your boat about halfway up the ramp with winch strap hooked up....hop out and put about 6 inches of slack in your winch strap.....go to back of the boat and see if you can pull your boat backwards enough to take out that six inches of slack...get you buddy to help you pull.....pretty sure you gonna find out that if you haven't done anything to make your trailer bunks slick, once that 3000lb boat and motor sits down on that trailer,it ain't gonna move til you float it off (or have a wreck going home).obviously you need to hook up your winch strap if it's below freezing and there is a chance of ice on your trailer bunks....

Seems like doing all this would take even longer than just hooking the winch strap all the way...

hmmm

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Bob Davis] #13068917 02/20/19 05:21 PM
B
boocat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
I stay away from lakes that have tournaments. I hate them. If i absolutely have to fish a tourney lake, I'll load and unload at off times. Too many high blood pressure type A pesonalities in one place at the same time is a recipe for disaster

Sounds kinda like the o.p. Wound way too tight.

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13068918 02/20/19 05:21 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Power loading your boat causes a wash out at the base of the ramp leading to a drop off. This isn't a real good idea. I take a few seconds to attach the bow strap before I pull out. Never seemed to slow down the line

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: hopalong] #13068927 02/20/19 05:32 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by thrashfish
Originally Posted by T Bird
Trailer ain't coming out of any water without bow strap connected. I got way to much money invested to risk an accident vs. the 30 sec. it takes me to connect the strap.

Exactly

thumb

I'm fast enough I guess, too bad if I'm not lol. Believe it or not, I have never been approached at the ramp for anything negative like my load/unload speed or whatever else.

I simply back the trailer in, and while my kid is driving the boat on, I stand at the back of the truck, and when it hits the bow roller I hook the strap, walk the 12 feet to my cab and drive out. If someone cant wait for me to walk that 12 feet to my truck, pizz on em'.

I was seven or 8 years old and sitting in a Skeeter bass boat at lake Arrowhead with my uncle in the boat. He was not a fan of hooking the strap before pulling out, and my cousin in the pickup dumped the clutch and off the boat came with me in it.

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: hopalong] #13068933 02/20/19 05:41 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
you know your at the pro level when you keep the motor in gear and throw a rooster tail as the boat is being pulled out of the water.

I only throw rooster tails on empty boats floating around the ramp area unattended.

Now that's funny right there.
laugh

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13068934 02/20/19 05:42 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Early in my boating days, 30 years ago my wife and I witnessed a somewhat funny boat ramp fiasco. We were circling like vultures in the lake at the Chaha boat ramp on ray hubbard waiting to get a spot cleared at the dock. 4 young fellas, looked to be 18 or 19 years old had the family 4 winns ski boat out and were loading it on the trailer. It was a big boat. One kid is driving the truck, backs the trailer down and another drove the boat on the trailer. The boat driver told the pickup truck driver, "Go Ahead, pull it". The pickup driver gets up the ramp maybe 3 ft. or so, then accelerates hard. Needless to say he jerked that trailer and the boat slid back and off the trailer onto the ramp. The kid was upset that his Dad was going to kill him. It took me and 7 other people to actually push that boat back down the concrete ramp so they could load it. That "learnt" me that it was possible for a boat to slide off the trailer. Just sayin'. I think you are rolling the dice to not take the time to hook the winch strap prior to pulling out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Bob Davis] #13068941 02/20/19 05:45 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Early in my boating days, 30 years ago my wife and I witnessed a somewhat funny boat ramp fiasco. We were circling like vultures in the lake at the Chaha boat ramp on ray hubbard waiting to get a spot cleared at the dock. 4 young fellas, looked to be 18 or 19 years old had the family 4 winns ski boat out and were loading it on the trailer. It was a big boat. One kid is driving the truck, backs the trailer down and another drove the boat on the trailer. The boat driver told the pickup truck driver, "Go Ahead, pull it". The pickup driver gets up the ramp maybe 3 ft. or so, then accelerates hard. Needless to say he jerked that trailer and the boat slid back and off the trailer onto the ramp. The kid was upset that his Dad was going to kill him. It took me and 7 other people to actually push that boat back down the concrete ramp so they could load it. That "learnt" me that it was possible for a boat to slide off the trailer. Just sayin'. I think you are rolling the dice to not take the time to hook the winch strap prior to pulling out.

Youre wrong. A boat and trailer know when a Pro is loading a boat. The boat and trailer behave differently, and physics, friction and gravity are all momentarily suspended while jersey man is levitated up onto the ramp at whatever speed/acceleration rate looks the coolest. Dont you know anything?

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13068942 02/20/19 05:47 PM
S
steveiam Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
If I'm wrong sorry beartrap, but were you not the one that posted about parking in the "to go" parking spot a while back?
Just wondering, it is what it is though, different strokes and all that.

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: steveiam] #13068943 02/20/19 05:48 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted by steveiam
If I'm wrong sorry beartrap, but were you not the one that posted about parking in the "to go" parking spot a while back?

Applebees. Holding up the line at the to go parking.

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Davedave] #13068944 02/20/19 05:51 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Davedave
Originally Posted by steveiam

Applebees. Holding up the line at the to go parking.

Yes he did, is complaints have led to the closure of dozens of locations. Lol

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Davedave] #13068957 02/20/19 06:09 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Davedave

Youre wrong. A boat and trailer know when a Pro is loading a boat. The boat and trailer behave differently, and physics, friction and gravity are all momentarily suspended while jersey man is levitated up onto the ramp at whatever speed/acceleration rate looks the coolest. Dont you know anything?

roflmao

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: beartrap] #13068965 02/20/19 06:17 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Guess I was looking at this all wrong..... so my thought process on becoming faster/better at loading/unloading is, in my mind, a courtesy to the other people using the ramp. I dont do it for me or to try and look like a boss, I have become good at it for the sole intention of showing common regard for my fellow man. I take pride in this, wish more people did.

Re: loading your boat-are you pro or amatuer? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #13068966 02/20/19 06:18 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
I back my trailer in far enough that I can run the boat nearly to the bow stop. Shut off motor, tilt it up, climb over bow, and winch it up that last bit.
I do the same except I run it all the way up and hope it stays there while I just take slack out of the strap. Takes me about 1/2 minute. I have seen unsecured boats come off the trailer on the ramp so I am not going with the Pro method. Some amateur dropping his boat on the ramp while trying the Pro will tie it up for a long time. I hope not too many people do it like the Tawakoni FD. They pull down the middle of the ramp and leave the truck there until they return.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide