type of floats ?
size and style of hook
fish size targeted
# of hooks per jug
size of weight
depth you set out
wind direction [into the

bank or

I have jugged a bit and caught some fish ,just wondering how you do it.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13056097 02/08/19 02:02 AM
B
Bobbycat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Some useful direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ciV7svtM4
These jugs work great. Google for more information. See videos and you will find answers to any your questions.

P.S. I put a piece of a rebar Inside PVC. It is the cheapest solution.

Last edited by Bobbycat; 02/08/19 02:09 AM.
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13056991 02/08/19 11:43 PM
F
FishinTime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Tag

In God We Trust
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13057365 02/09/19 07:01 AM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline
Angler
Angler
J
For jugline weights I took some small 11 oz. Folgers coffee cans and filled about 3/4 full of cement. I cut 5 links of plastic chain (about 1 1/2" links) and pushed into the cement leaving 1 and 1/2 links out at the top (to tie the line). They work great and won't scratch your boat. For floats I use sch40 PVC (2" I think), put a cap on each end, a stainless eye screw in one end and a chunk of pool noodle on the other end. I will take some pictures the next time I'm out.

One other thing, I tried using 3 hooks per jug and that just didn't work out - catfish will make a twisted mess of the whole thing. Now I use 2 hooks per jug.

Last edited by JB in Ft Worth; 02/09/19 07:02 AM.
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13057401 02/09/19 10:22 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
jugs Q & A---
just wondering how you do it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bank or ...-
... from the boat

type of floats ?-
... I use either the white regular size bleach jugs -OR- the thick opaque Tradewinds or Arizona gallon tea jugs (since you no longer have to have white) [Sometimes I may spray about 1/3rd full of foam spray (it will expand), as this will keep the jug afloat should somebody hit & puncture the jug.] I double wrap the cord two times around the handle. And number my jugs on the ends so I know which ones were planted & where, should one disappear to be found elsewhere later, as well as if I had certain baits on it. The legal info is written on the side on the half nearest the bottom on the side opposite diagonal from the handle. This allows all of this to be seen if jug is set tight. If set loose, Oh Well, can't have everything.

size and style of hook-
... I use various sizes depending upon the area or target, could be 5/0 / 6/0 / 9/0 Eagle Claw SS O'Shawnessy/Trotline ("J"), 6/0 Mustad "J" SS, 7/0 or 9/0 Mustad SS stump hook (Triple strength) short "J", Tru-Turn Perma-steel 5/0 / 6/0 / 7/0 / 8/0 "J" Catfish, Eagle Claw 5/0 or 6/0 Lazer Sharp offset Circle, and Eagle Claw 5/0 or 6/0 Kahle Lazer sharp (special leader due to small eye).

fish size targeted-
... minimum legal size of YellowCat/Op, BlueCat, ChannelCat, and rough fish, on up
(largest Cats on juglines to date- 40# Op, 40# Blue, 9.5# Channel)

# of hooks per jug-
... ranges from 2 to 5 hooks depending on preference for the depth, as whether straight up & down tight, or if I want to have a loose slow slant for in the shallows. Normally 3 feet to 5 feet apart range.

size of weight-
... I now buy cheap vinyl (soft plastic) tumblers at the dollar stores, Wal-Mart or Target. I fill with concrete just below the top about 1" or so. For my loops, I will cut from & use either old galvanized bucket handles, the thick galvanized bottom line for chain link fences, as well as pieces cut from galvanized steel fencing. I make a "U" with wings or I may curl the wings to make small upside down "U"s on each side. Then I push into concrete into the tumbler. Use vinyl or soft plastic, as they do not get hard & brittle & break/crack apart easily or after some use. The tumblers can be cleaned easily & protect the concrete, as well as the boat. I stack weights in a 5 or 3.5 bucket with lid for carrying purposes. Also, I drill a hole in the side of tumbler just above filled portion. I tie a piece of green size 36 nylon cord (with knots) to secure concrete, from drilled hole to loop. This prevents the concrete weight from coming out of the tumbler. I have two sizes of tumblers currently, not sure of fluid ounces size. I use the lighter ones for strategic placing on my trotlines & usually use the larger ones for juglines to keep them from drifting.

depth you set out-
... jugs are set out in shallows (7 feet to 13 feet), on up to about 24 feet to 28 feet. One area I jugfish is the "Near Corner" at the bottom of Lake Limestone. This is where the Running Branch fork opens into the bottom of the lake opposite the side that the river runs down. I call that side the "Far Corner", as I come in from Running Branch Marina. When fishing this area Near Corner), I will set a row of jugs (4 or 5) out just inside on the main channel or towards where a creek feeds in (this is where I caught the 40# Op). Largest Blue of the inside jugs was 36#. It is about 24' deep here, or 20' towards the creek. And another row (of 4 to 5 jugs) just outside, near the Water Pump Station. It is about 28' feet deep here (& where I caught the 40# Blue). Largest Op here in the area of the outside row of jugs before I started setting them here was 27.5#, on one of my "Planter" trotlines. By setting these here, if tight, I can tell if one has moved (if not in line), if they are tight, which indicates usually one of more than 10# has moved it.

wind direction [into the-
... the only time wind might be a factor, is if I use the longer 24 or 28 footers in the shallows in the No Wake Zone. It runs a loose slow slant for the main line. I have caught Ops weighing from 7 to 15# doing this, at it is near the areas I have caught up to a 57# Op, and two of my Catfish Calender & YellowCat students (Jeff & James) up to two 62 pound Ops. And it is also where we encounter "The Giant", a massive size Op/Yellow (see that thread at <https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12855967/> Usually my jugs stay in line at the Near Corner, unless massive winds which cause the weights to lift off bottom.

Also---
I usually use size 36 gereen 3 strand nylon twist for the mainline & the leaders (about 18" each). However the Blues tend to roll so I have gone to leaders of the braided which does not unravel. And somehow it seems I got a hold of the weaker "core" type braid, as I lost "The Giant" on my SW (Shallow Water) trotline last Cinco de Mayo (2018). IT simply snapped the cord off just above the hook. First time IT ever kept a hook. Maybe it is the second, as it once took the whole leader & hook. And I use the brass brads as to where the staging (leaders) are set on the mainline. This allows them to slide the leader if they are good size.

I also use 3/0 Brass Barrel Swivels & 4/0 SS barrel swivels. I have yet to had one break off. However, do not use the ones with the added clip, as the larger ones will pull the clip open. I lost some fish on jugs with Kahle Hooks using the clip type, as they have much smaller eyes. Do not use the 3 way 3/0 Brass swivels, as "The Giant" took one of those leaders, so I don't trust them anymore.

If you don't want to use swivels ... Newt, one of YellowCat teachers, taught me to use a Hitch knot, themn a single knot on each side to prevent sliding. Of course that was on a trotline, in which the main line is horizontal. If a jug is set tight, the mainline is vertical.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13057445 02/09/19 01:14 PM
sae Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Thank you Lynn ,great info as usual. . getting a new rig ready and might try somthing new.

Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13057916 02/09/19 09:36 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Good Luck!!! & tell us how you did & what bait & such.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13061329 02/13/19 01:30 AM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
check out my listing in the classifieds section tommorow for some very nice jug lines. treated line, nice weights, ready to fish.,.,can be picked up in TROY near temple.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13063026 02/14/19 08:32 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I go old school on jugs. I hit laundromats and gather empty jugs. I use paraline bought at Home Depot for my line. For weights I fill drink cans with lead then tear the aluminum off. Works for my jugging. I jug very little mostly when I am looking for new spots to fish. My best technique involves finding cover on structure over 20 foot deep then pouring chum on it. Then I fish the spot the next day. I wait till the next day because the little fish seem to show up first. I cannot prove that but that is what I have decided thru years of fishing.

Last edited by HumanSeine; 02/14/19 08:32 PM.
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13064042 02/15/19 08:27 PM
C
Chiprat Offline
Angler
Angler
C
for a REAL good line (Braid) look on line or Bass Pro for Green Wallace Cordage, I stand by that line, for catching up to 62# Texoma Blue Cats

Lowe 17V Tournament 1990 Evinrude 120 V4
MinnKotta Ulterra 24V 60"
Garmin LIVE SCOPE...Yes you can hate me

1973 14ft Jon Boat V hull 5hp
1996 Mariah Talari 23.5 Fun Boat, and Striper boat at Texoma
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13064046 02/15/19 08:37 PM
C
Chiprat Offline
Angler
Angler
C
[Linked Image]

Lowe 17V Tournament 1990 Evinrude 120 V4
MinnKotta Ulterra 24V 60"
Garmin LIVE SCOPE...Yes you can hate me

1973 14ft Jon Boat V hull 5hp
1996 Mariah Talari 23.5 Fun Boat, and Striper boat at Texoma
Re: jug line q&a [Re: sae] #13064578 02/16/19 08:29 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Note that it just says braided, not solid braided or solid core braided. I I now have to wonder what term they use for "solid core" braided, as I used to think it meant it was pure dee solid braid. However, it could be taken to mean it actually has a core instead.

I have found that the type of nylon 1/4" braided rope, that the ones with the core inside, do not have the strength of the completely braided. Due to my size 36 green braided cord snapping off with the loss of the hook & losing "The Giant back on May 5th, 2018, it was only then that I realized it had a core, I will now test the cord before using. In other words, I feel it now best to cut a few inches down to reveal which one it truly is.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide