Originally Posted by 786
Originally Posted by 5-20
Originally Posted by 786
Originally Posted by 5-20
If TPWD had some knowledge, imagination and creativity they could’ve managed the hydrilla in lake Austin carefully and stocked it with trout. Maybe we would’ve ended up with a new world record bass. During wet years and consistent water flows from Travis, it wasn’t uncommon for water to be in the high 50’s to low 60’s in the upper part of the lake well into May. Just imagine. Those bass could’ve been feasting on trout from October through May which is about the same stocking schedule in place for the many SoCal lakes that have kicked out 18+ pound fish. But we’ll never know what could’ve happened. Its going to take a couple of decades, maybe more, before lake Austin begins to resemble what it once was five to ten years ago.

Grass carp have been in Austin since 2003, since then we've had about 15 ShareLunkers out of Austin and I don't think anybody complained about a lack of hydrilla during that time. That would indicate hydrilla was being managed carfully in Austin during that period. The problem happened during the drought of 2011. Water flow through the lake was minimal and the conditions became very suitable for hydrilla, which expanded to worrying levels very quickly. In the past, LCRA water intake structures were partially blocked and homes were flooded due to excessive hydrilla build up causing water levels to rise further during a flood. If there was a flood after the drought ended there could have been serious problems. In my opinion, it was only the last couple of stockings of grass carp that tipped the balance resulting in the elimination of hydrilla and milfoil.

With hardly any plant material to eat, the natural mortality rate of grass carp can be expected to be higher than usual. We've also had a couple of big floods that have washed out many grass carp into LBL and the Colorado River. In my opinion, Austin could start recovering vegetation within 10 years. Only time will tell. Instead of the trout/bass feeding strategy, TPWD went for the genetics route to produce bigger fish. However, if some anglers are prepared to pay for stocking trout in Austin, maybe TPWD would be interested.

Lol. Have you ever fished Austin? Doesn’t seem like you really understand the first thing about what happened to that lake. I’ll write this off as a poor troll.

I take it you have a MS in Fisheries and have experience managing the fishery at Lake Austin. Do yourself a favor and call the TPWD office in San Marcos (512-353-0072) and see if they tell you anything different. I challenge you to call and let us know what they said.
Not getting this argument but I would question if TPWD would be completely straight about their assessment of their management of hydrilla, grass carp....or any other topic that has so many whoops outcomes.