Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: Moto-Moto] #13059523 02/11/19 04:01 PM
junbengreat Online Content OP
not so great
OP Online Content
not so great
Originally Posted by Moto-Moto
Originally Posted by junbengreat
Looking for property as we speak. I’m outta this hoa and gonna build.

How much is acreage in that area? It's 25 to 30k per up here

We have been looking in the glen rose area. Acreage is about $8k-$15k. Been looking for 10-15 acres but it’s slim pickings. Trying to convince wife to move to mountain lakes in bluff dale.

Re: HOA getting sued [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13059718 02/11/19 06:21 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Never a problem here.
nor here. HOAs has made up of a few that want to impose their beliefs on others.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: Ranger Z21] #13059751 02/11/19 06:57 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by Ranger Z21
Not as easy to fire a management company as you might think. They all have contracts that aren't easily voided. I would much rather deal with a neighbor than dealing with a corporation. Management companies are also more likely to add assessments anytime they feel like it. Most of the time for very stupid reasons. A self managed won't do it unless it improves the neighborhood property values and is truly needed as it effects their bottom line also. Usually a neighborhood vote is required unlike a MC who can do as they please. To each his own.
You don't even have to fire them. Just wait 3 years and they're gone. These idiots are gonna be around forever. That's my point.

No neighborhood vote is required for homeowner-run HOAs. That's why you have a Board - so they can manage the HOA without getting the entire community involved in every decision.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: patriot07] #13059835 02/11/19 08:11 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by patriot07
Not as easy to fire a management company as you might think. They all have contracts that aren't easily voided. I would much rather deal with a neighbor than dealing with a corporation. Management companies are also more likely to add assessments anytime they feel like it. Most of the time for very stupid reasons. A self managed won't do it unless it improves the neighborhood property values and is truly needed as it effects their bottom line also. Usually a neighborhood vote is required unlike a MC who can do as they please. To each his own.
You don't even have to fire them. Just wait 3 years and they're gone. These idiots are gonna be around forever. That's my point.

No neighborhood vote is required for homeowner-run HOAs. That's why you have a Board - so they can manage the HOA without getting the entire community involved in every decision.

I am not going to argue this point with you. I was a board member and president of our self managed HOA for 14 years total. In that time we had a few minor issues and always the same person. He never got his way and out of 46 homes whenever a vote was taken it was always the same 45-1. Our covenants as is with most there is a clause that states any expense or major improvement over a certain amount (ours was 10,000 dollars) required approval of two thirds of the homeowners. The same was required to change a bylaw or a due increase. Your statement about no vote is required for a self managed HOA is absurd. If that was the case any board could do what they wanted with no say so from the homeowners. Now your speaking of a management company. We always ran major improvements by everyone first even when they were less than the 10,000 amount. The purpose of the board is to run day to day operations but when it comes to big changes or large expenses that's why you have the voting clause. This one individual always tried to threaten us and we just said go ahead and sue. If you don't like an HOA why did you buy your house in one? I am gone now but he is still causing problems with the new president. Each neighborhood has one individual that likes to cause an issue to be noticed. I hope that's not you. Have a great day.

Last edited by Ranger Z21; 02/11/19 08:15 PM.
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: Ranger Z21] #13060200 02/12/19 02:15 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P

I am not going to argue this point with you. I was a board member and president of our self managed HOA for 14 years total. In that time we had a few minor issues and always the same person. He never got his way and out of 46 homes whenever a vote was taken it was always the same 45-1. Our covenants as is with most there is a clause that states any expense or major improvement over a certain amount (ours was 10,000 dollars) required approval of two thirds of the homeowners. The same was required to change a bylaw or a due increase. Your statement about no vote is required for a self managed HOA is absurd. If that was the case any board could do what they wanted with no say so from the homeowners. Now your speaking of a management company. We always ran major improvements by everyone first even when they were less than the 10,000 amount. The purpose of the board is to run day to day operations but when it comes to big changes or large expenses that's why you have the voting clause. This one individual always tried to threaten us and we just said go ahead and sue. If you don't like an HOA why did you buy your house in one? I am gone now but he is still causing problems with the new president. Each neighborhood has one individual that likes to cause an issue to be noticed. I hope that's not you. Have a great day.

Goodness...

I am not saying that you as a Board member were a problem. I'm saying that homeowners can be a problem that is harder to get rid of than a management company. That simple.

I used to like HOAs. Always had experience with ones run by management companies - zero issues in all those years. My one experience in a homeowner-run HOA has been an absolute disaster wrought with bias, numerous ethical violations, and the neighborhood split in half between those who want the rules enforced and those who are buddies with the officers and just want to get their way. I get that your HOA had very few issues - my point isn't that your HOA was bad - my point is that not all homeowner-run HOAs are good, and when they do go bad, it can be impossible to remedy without leaving. We've had opposite experiences. I'm not discounting yours. I would appreciate the same courtesy from you.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: junbengreat] #13060207 02/12/19 02:27 AM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
My point is I don't understand why anyone would choose a corporation to make decisions about their properties over ones neighbors and the people who have a dog in the hunt. Have a good evening.

Last edited by Ranger Z21; 02/12/19 02:28 AM.
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: junbengreat] #13060224 02/12/19 02:42 AM
cocodrie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
^^^^ This is usually how HOAs end up working. What a cluster.

Re: HOA getting sued [Re: Ranger Z21] #13060278 02/12/19 03:56 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
My point is I don't understand why anyone would choose a corporation to make decisions about their properties over ones neighbors and the people who have a dog in the hunt. Have a good evening.

Understood, and makes sense.

My point is that if a company makes decisions you don't like, you can wait them out for a year or two. If a neighbor starts making decisions you don't like, that might be a couple of decades before they're gone. All they need is 51% of the neighborhood to be in on the good ole boys club mentality and they never really have to do anything that's fair or ethical or in the best interest of the community. And there's not a darn thing you can do about it.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: junbengreat] #13060318 02/12/19 04:40 AM
D
DavidWhatley Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Moto-Moto
Looking for property as we speak. I’m outta this hoa and gonna build.

How much is acreage in that area? It's 25 to 30k per up here

We have been looking in the glen rose area. Acreage is about $8k-$15k. Been looking for 10-15 acres but it’s slim pickings. Trying to convince wife to move to mountain lakes in bluff dale.

Look at the lots in Ridgeview if Glen Rose is a consideration. It's got one of the best schools in TX.

"Every man must live with the man that he makes of himself, and the better job he does at molding his character and improving his mind, the better company he will have."
Pauline Whatley

A wise man once said.......Nothing
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: patriot07] #13060455 02/12/19 01:07 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

My point is that if a company makes decisions you don't like, you can wait them out for a year or two. If a neighbor starts making decisions you don't like, that might be a couple of decades before they're gone. All they need is 51% of the neighborhood to be in on the good ole boys club mentality and they never really have to do anything that's fair or ethical or in the best interest of the community. And there's not a darn thing you can do about it.

Yes I guess you could wait them out but what happens when that letter comes that says you are being assessed $5000.00 for an improvement and you have 14 days to pay? What do you do then? You pay or they lien your property. You have zero say so. That's what management companies do. Also dues are higher with a management company as somebody has to pay their fee and salary. They don't do it for free. With self managed you don't have any of that. I seriously doubt that your HOA covenants say that only a 51% majority is all it takes. I would love to read them and if that's the case no way in **** I would have ever bought property there. I guess what I really don't understand is did you read the agreement before you bought? If you don't like self managed why did you buy there? Have you ever ran for a board position so you could bring positive change on what you perceive to be wrong? Like I said before there is always one that is an issue and I am starting to think that's you. I mean no disrespect on that last statement it's just how I see it.

Re: HOA getting sued [Re: Ranger Z21] #13060559 02/12/19 02:59 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P

Yes I guess you could wait them out but what happens when that letter comes that says you are being assessed $5000.00 for an improvement and you have 14 days to pay? What do you do then? You pay or they lien your property. You have zero say so. That's what management companies do. Also dues are higher with a management company as somebody has to pay their fee and salary. They don't do it for free. With self managed you don't have any of that. I seriously doubt that your HOA covenants say that only a 51% majority is all it takes. I would love to read them and if that's the case no way in **** I would have ever bought property there. I guess what I really don't understand is did you read the agreement before you bought? If you don't like self managed why did you buy there? Have you ever ran for a board position so you could bring positive change on what you perceive to be wrong? Like I said before there is always one that is an issue and I am starting to think that's you. I mean no disrespect on that last statement it's just how I see it.
I can't imagine if they issued a $5k assessment with 14 days to pay...unimaginable.

Like I said though, the neighborhood has been split in half. It's not just me. There are 5 or 6 of us that just want the rules followed and all homeowners treated fairly, about 7 or 8 that are in the "wine club" that the officers run and will go along with whatever they say, and about 5 more that don't care enough to take a side.

I moved to the neighborhood with a homeowner-run HOA having had zero experience with one. But I imagined that neighbors would treat each other with respect, common courtesy, and fairness. I had no idea that people would treat those who live across the street with hatred, disdain, etc. just because their buddy wants to build a fence/shop/etc and I expect them to follow the rules.

I was the chair of the architectural committee for 2 years when we moved in. Appointed by the old board, who was fine. New board was elected 1 year into my term and they are the ones who took it personally against me when the ACC enforced against a fence built way, way over a property line. The board removed me from my position because I asked them to follow their own rules, and ever since then the neighborhood has been split between the good ole boys and the people who just want everyone to play by the same rules that we all agreed to.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: junbengreat] #13060562 02/12/19 03:01 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
You may be starting to think I'm the only problem in my neighborhood (just comical), but I'm starting to think that you were the head of the good ole boys club and didn't know it...

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: HOA getting sued [Re: junbengreat] #13060572 02/12/19 03:05 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
The problem with not being in an hoa or having good cnr is eventually some low budget s hole people move in and start acting like idiots. It's for sure to happen it's just a matter of when and how close do the live to you. Lots of trashy people in the world, it's hard to fight them off alone.

Re: HOA getting sued [Re: junbengreat] #13060589 02/12/19 03:16 PM
Ghost4BH Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
What in the H E double hockey sticks is going on here?

Re: HOA getting sued [Re: junbengreat] #13060597 02/12/19 03:20 PM
1WithTXFish Offline
Angler
Angler
HOAs suck unless you have the time and drive to become a board member. Most of the time they are very competitive positions but its all about politics and "friendships". Personally I looked for an established neighborhood without an HOA when we purchased our home.

A five spot for a shot and a beer? And you wonder how we wound up here.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide