Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Apology [Re: Fooshman] #13056304 02/08/19 12:11 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Fooshman
"Exhibited in time to prevent an accident" doesn't read as constant to me.

Then it says a 360° light is recommended.

Then goes on to state you "shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise..."

hmmm

You almost have to have a law degree in order to figure out TPWD rules, or they do that in order to confuse someone for revenue purposes, or the people writing the text is just as confused, so you never know?
Unless the law recently changed, say within the last month or so it's always been that you need only one single white light that is visible 360* and no sidemarkers or bow light neccessary.
I know there are guys that dress up their kayaks like a floating neon sign, but that is their choice.
You might call your local Game Warden for clarification or call any kayak shop the deals only with kayaks, and they will know what the law is. TPWD have made numerous mistakes with their printed regulation copies, so just because that is what you read, doesn't make it written in stone.

Just one more cast!

Re: Apology [Re: daddyflea] #13057391 02/09/19 09:38 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Yeah, that is probably the best thing to do. I've recently purchased some kayaks and have been slowly trying to figure out what all is needed.

[Linked Image]

Re: Apology [Re: Fooshman] #13057424 02/09/19 12:26 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Yeah, that is probably the best thing to do. I've recently purchased some kayaks and have been slowly trying to figure out what all is needed.

You should WEAR a PFD any time you are on the water.....Just having it on the kayak within reach is fine, but if you flip or what is known as, "to turtle" which you will soon find out as you gain experience, can happen in an instant if you lean too far over the side and go past the tipping point, and should it happen, the PFD if not on your body could end up drifting off out of reach.
You should have a whistle, usually attached to the PFD, and this is required by law.
Being new to the kayak sport you should get out on a warm day in shallow water and find where your tipping point is, and then practice deep water re-entry.
There are several videos on YouTube that you can look up on the topic.

Just one more cast!

Re: Apology [Re: daddyflea] #13058309 02/10/19 08:31 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]

Re: Apology [Re: Mike@972] #13058597 02/10/19 06:21 PM
D
daddyflea Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by Mike@972
Originally Posted by daddyflea
Fooshman is correct please don't think you are where a normal boat can't go. In my Stumpjumper, if I hammer down, I draw less water and I can run wide open 26 to 30mph in about 8" of water. If I stop I am there to stay.

I agree that kayakers, canoers and power boaters all need to be careful. Kayakers always need to keep an eye and ear peeled for boats and need to stay out of boating lanes as much as possible. However, going 30MPH in 8" of water is not a "normal boat" and is inherently dangerous. If you are running that fast in 8" of water or within 20 to 30 feet of any bank, you have the greater burden to watch out for other boats, waders, swimmers, deer, rocks, trees and anything else that may be in shallow water.

It sounds like the existence of a kayak had little bearing on what happened to the OP. It sounds like the same would have happened if it was a jon boat or dark-colored bass boat. The OP simply let his guard down and was messing with a dog while running wide open. If we are driving down a country road all lone with a dog on our lap... do we have less of a duty to watch for other vehicles, motorcycles, joggers, bikers, etc? Nope.

Im not throwing stones at powerboaters nor am I defending kayakers. Until very recently, I've owned a power boat my entire adult life. I love the water and consider myself to be a very safe operator. However, a few times over the years I have accidentally ran too close to other boats... each time it was my fault. They were minding their own business fishing and I ran into a cove or around a point too hot. I didn't do it on purpose (nor did the OP) but it was my fault. Period.

I greatly appreciate the OP reaching out to say sorry and I think this dialog is very helpful. We all need to watch out for each other. When PB's operate in shallow water, near the bank or around a blind bend, they need to go slow. At the same time, kayakers need to be mindful that we are hard to see and need to make ourselves as visible as possible. We all have the burden to watch out for each other.

Safe boating!

In my defense the River in this area was pretty wide and was at least 8ft in depth. There is very little logs and trash in the water and it is at least 8 miles from the Lake where I put in to most of the Fishing spots. Some of that is idle only. My Boat is a Custom Mudboat that is extra thick hull with a 40hp Gatortail Surface Drive engine. Sometimes in shallow water you have to get on plane to keep from hanging up. Hitting a stump or log is no big deal in this boat. The incident was purely my fault in that I was messing with my Fishing Hound and sitting down due to the rain. This Kayak had paddled about 4 miles from the Bridge on the Navasota, which is no big deal on the weekend in good weather, but this was a week day and I was certainly not expecting any company on the river. If you see me on the Navasota flag me down and we will share fishing stories. Short Video below

or

https://www.facebook.com/RieselPolice/videos/2234299260192260/?t=5

Last edited by daddyflea; 02/11/19 07:05 PM.
Re: Apology [Re: daddyflea] #13058598 02/10/19 06:21 PM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'm one that would rather have you come by on plane than shut it down on top of me. Especially if I happen to be near the bank/shallow water.

Re: Apology [Re: daddyflea] #13059222 02/11/19 04:39 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F

In my defense the River in this area was pretty wide and was at least 8ft in depth. There is very little logs and trash in the water and it is at least 8 miles from the Lake where I put in to most of the Fishing spots. Some of that is idle only. My Boat is a Custom Mudboat that is extra thick hull with a 40hp Gatortail Surface Drive engine. Sometimes in shallow water you have to get on plane to keep from hanging up. Hitting a stump or log is no big deal in this boat. The incident was purely my fault in that I was messing with my Fishing Hound and sitting down due to the rain. This Kayak had paddled about 4 miles from the Bridge on the Navasota, which is no big deal on the weekend in good weather, but this was a week day and I was certainly not expecting any company on the river. If you see me on the Navasota flag me down and we will share fishing stories. Short Video below

https://youtu.be/BnrwSkcCMiM or

I have a Gator Trax with a GatorTail. I need to check out that newer engine you got hanging off of that thing. cool

[Linked Image]

Re: Apology [Re: Fooshman] #13059730 02/11/19 06:35 PM
D
daddyflea Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D

https://youtu.be/BnrwSkcCMiM or

I have a Gator Trax with a GatorTail. I need to check out that newer engine you got hanging off of that thing. cool

No problem. I went from Go Devil to Gator Tail and the only thing i did not like was losing my Rock guard and having to work my props

By the way I reworked the video it is much better now

Last edited by daddyflea; 02/11/19 07:08 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide