Print Thread
Page 220 of 398 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 397 398
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13057749 02/09/19 05:45 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
The barometer reading is still somewhat high, it is at 30.51 and slowly falling. I have a friend who just called me to see if I wanted to go but I'll wait till I hear back from him. I'm thinking the bite is off right now due to the high reading, but tomorrow might be good. The cold water will cause the fish to hunker down in deeper water pocket. A very slow bait run under their nose will get you bit. The trick is finding that special hole they are stacked up in. Now that I have the white bass fever from having a few good days on the water I'm tempted to go out today myself. Maybe tomorrow I'll go.... Not so crazy about the high barometer reading. This is something I am keeping track of this year to see how much it affects these fish. Also when driving to an area to fish, look at the cows, yes the cows. If they are standing up and feeding, fishing will be good. If they are laying down chewing their cud, the fishing is bad. Check this out next time and you will see that this is true. Google it too, it will explain what is going on. This cow thing also applies to deer hunting. Now that you have read this you have learned something new today. LOL
Have a great day, stay warm. Fishytx.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: Jing] #13057756 02/09/19 05:49 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by Jing
At Newmans Bottom, do you have to walk one mile from the gate to the bridge?

From the gate to Newman's Bottom is exactly a mile, so your answer is YES.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13057870 02/09/19 08:19 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
J-Moe is telling me that there is an awesome bite today. A lot of crappie and big whites are being caught as we speak. Limits of fish have been removed from the creek. I just put new line on two reels, I might have to pack it up and head that way. I was going tomorrow, but I might have to squeeze in a trip this afternoon just for the heck of it..... These fish caught were morning caught fish so I hope the bite is still on. I have another friend who just got there and maybe he will shed some light on this as well. I hate going fishing when I wasn't planning on it, but some times that's the best trips...

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13058722 02/10/19 08:22 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
I went out to Newman Bottom on Wednesday and caught 21 white bass. I went back this morning and caught 20. The fish were hunkered down on the bottom and in the middle of the creek. Which of course led to lots of lost flies today. In general, with the lake being so high during the early part of the run Newman has been poor to average fishing. Last year I was catching 35 to 40 every time I went down there at this time of the run.

As typical though, as the water is receding there are more fish moving back downstream towards Newman. 2 weeks ago the majority of the limits were being caught upstream of Irwin Bridge. This last week the majority of the limits were caught between Irwin and Newman.

The good news is the water has cleared up quite a bit and there is good flow at the trail way bridge now. The lake is just under 4 foot high and still receding at approximately 1/4 foot per day. The last 2 years the peak of the run has been around the 21st of February so if everything follows suit the lake should be back close to normal and the fishing at Newman should be excellent again.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13059130 02/11/19 02:54 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I would rather the water come back up and let the fishing be at Irwin bridge myself, not a big fan of that mile walk in at Newman's. LOL

But thanks for the report J-Moe..

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13059159 02/11/19 03:25 AM
M
ML56 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Not sure how long it will last but, drove across dam at about 5 p.m. today, gates completely closed and parking lot at spillway barricaded closed and has stay out signs all over it.
Lake may not drop anymore till they get whatever work they are doing finished. Not sure if they are re working rip rap or what, area looks scoured out. Noticed some heavy machinery parked behind some brush along the discharge area, maybe working on erosion? Looks weird with so little water in creek channel.

See Me for a SPLASHER PROP Mike @ 979 two ,five, one, 62, thirty five or web page https://my-site-103001.square.site
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: ML56] #13059174 02/11/19 03:46 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by ML56
Not sure how long it will last but, drove across dam at about 5 p.m. today, gates completely closed and parking lot at spillway barricaded closed and has stay out signs all over it.
Lake may not drop anymore till they get whatever work they are doing finished. Not sure if they are re working rip rap or what, area looks scoured out. Noticed some heavy machinery parked behind some brush along the discharge area, maybe working on erosion? Looks weird with so little water in creek channel.

Thanks for the information Mike. I hope it doesn't take them months to complete the work like it did last time.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13059486 02/11/19 03:38 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I thought about something J-Moe. I wonder if these fish have spawned out and are on their way back towards the lake? I know it's early for this to happen but we had some crazy warm weather and the females have been spawning during the night and early in the mornings. I have had several anglers tell me that they were spawning everywhere in the mornings and I don't get there early enough to see it first hand, but sounds like it was really going on strong. Once those egg sacks are depleted those females have no reason to stay in this creek, it's time to turn around and get back to the lake and chase shad.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: fishytx] #13059627 02/11/19 05:22 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by fishytx
I thought about something J-Moe. I wonder if these fish have spawned out and are on their way back towards the lake? I know it's early for this to happen but we had some crazy warm weather and the females have been spawning during the night and early in the mornings. I have had several anglers tell me that they were spawning everywhere in the mornings and I don't get there early enough to see it first hand, but sounds like it was really going on strong. Once those egg sacks are depleted those females have no reason to stay in this creek, it's time to turn around and get back to the lake and chase shad.

I really doubt it. I only saw a small amount of spawning; not full blown spawning. Last year was the same. They had Newman Bottom closed during the early part of the run and as the water receded I kept having to walk farther and farther downstream to find fish. Checking my log and even Ben's videos it has been pretty consistent that the peak of the spawn has been around the 3rd week of February. The huge 16 inch females didn't even show up until about this time last year.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13059993 02/11/19 10:48 PM
E
EllerTroy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I again with J-Moe, I have not seen any of the big females in the creek yet.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13060198 02/12/19 02:14 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by J-Moe
Originally Posted by fishytx

I really doubt it. I only saw a small amount of spawning; not full blown spawning. Last year was the same. They had Newman Bottom closed during the early part of the run and as the water receded I kept having to walk farther and farther downstream to find fish. Checking my log and even Ben's videos it has been pretty consistent that the peak of the spawn has been around the 3rd week of February. The huge 16 inch females didn't even show up until about this time last year.

That is good to hear because I was getting my information second hand.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13060205 02/12/19 02:24 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
So I went out today to get my own information and did really well at Irwin Bridge. One of my fishing buddies I showed how to catch white bass put a good ole butt whipping on me this afternoon, he was catching five to my one. Glad he did because I had gotten there an hour and half before he did and managed a limit. He too caught a limit, so we hauled out two limits of fish this afternoon in a some what short time frame. When I first arrived I was nine for nine cast which was awesome. Only issue was the smaller fish I was catching, I only kept four of those nine. After I got the small ones out of the way then I started catching some decent fish. I fished for at least three hours, my buddy was there for one and half hours. I'm telling you man, he was on them big time. And I was standing right next to him while he was doing this. But that's what it took for both of us to limit out like we did. Once I got my limit I was going to help him out, but I never could get those last few I needed. I was catching fish but man where they small, all under size or right at it. We didn't keep anything under a eleven inch fish.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13060283 02/12/19 04:03 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Weather , floodwater, length of daylight coupled with the phases of the moon contribute to the timing of peak spawning activity.

On the Yegua the whitebass spawn peak generally occurs between the second and third cycle of the full moon (from the beginning of the year.)

This information is only good for determining when the most whitebass will be up the creeks and rivers to spawn.

When the fish will feed is another question altogether and it varies much more than seasonal spawning activity.

Unfortunately most of us can only fish around work and life schedules so catching fish is as much a matter of luck as it is skill because everything has to come together at the right time and place.

The best advantage is having a history on the water you are fishing and knowing where fish were caught before, otherwise you are going in blind.

I doubt you will see me on the creek this month or even next month.. I've got too many irons in the fire already so best of luck to you all.. smile

The flu shot I got in September must also prevent whitebass fever.. wink

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: hook-line&sinker] #13060522 02/12/19 02:35 PM
B
BayouFennec Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
that's too bad Ben, i always look forward to watching your videos of the white bass run. maybe some crappie fishing videos in the spring?

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13060543 02/12/19 02:49 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
That was a fun trip yesterday, now I have to find some extra time to get back over there and try to do this again. The weather later in the week is going to get better so the bite should be even get better in couple more days.
I have been doing this white bass spawn fishing thing for a bunch of years now and I can say this, I never get tired of it. In fact I look forward to every new year it starts. This will be my 46th year straight fishing for these guys. I have yet to skip out on a spawn. Even when I was living out of Texas I always took my vacation time during the white bass spawn. LOL I had the pleasure of fishing for these guys when there was no limit on how many you could keep. So on my vacation I could catch enough fish to last my family all year. White bass is the only type of fish I keep in my freezer. All other fish I catch are released for other anglers to catch and enjoy. (black bass)
Hope to see some of you on water soon, I think I'm going to have a chance to fish Wednesday.

Page 220 of 398 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 397 398
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide