Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Solix vs HDS live #13055822 02/07/19 09:46 PM
Fence Guy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Guys. Im trying to decide between the Solix and the HDS Live. The Helix looks awesome but the touch screen user interface has it pretty much ruled out. Anyone have experience with either? In the shop on DEMO MODE there is a slight edge to the HDS for the sonar overlay in DI, networking compatibility with other units, and overall speed. But the Solix just seems so easy to operate and save waypoints while in side imaging. I just dont know anything about lowrances mapping. This will be for my main console unit in 12. This 3k investment will be with me for a while so Im really stressing over this decision. So any comments about real world experience would be helpful.

Re: Solix vs HDS live [Re: Fence Guy] #13055849 02/07/19 10:20 PM
D
Dayne Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I have been a Lowrance guy dating back to black and white block screens. I have been fighting issues with my HDS Gen 3 units and getting no help from Lowrance. I also decided to get a self stow trolling motor. The Minn Kota Ulterra was the only option. I have run it for a few months and decided I wanted more out of it so I bought a Solix 10 to use for mapping and linking with the MK. I have found it to be a good unit and plan to pull the flush mounted Lowrance out of my boat and put another Solix 10 in it. So in a few words I have lost confidence in Lowrance and am tired of fighting so I am just going to switch.

Re: Solix vs HDS live [Re: Fence Guy] #13055876 02/07/19 10:49 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Lowrance Live with Active Imaging. Great touch screen, Active Imaging Side Scan is very good, Fish Reveal that you refer to, 12" screen will have your one touch keys for ultra quick weigh-points, screen shots and customized screens (up to 8-quick key access). The real-time LiveSight transducer coming out in April & if don't already have a new trolling motor - WAIT...

I suggest a visit to a Bass Pro or Cabelas when representatives are going to be there. If you can make a connection with a pro-staffer, get a business card, this is a wow factor for help when you need it.

Rob Jasper
Re: Solix vs HDS live [Re: Fence Guy] #13055883 02/07/19 10:56 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I started with 2 Helix's, went to a Helix and Solix, then experimented with an HDS Gen 3. Now I am back to the Solix console and Helix bow until i can replace the helix with another Solix. I tried the HDS out for a few months because I ahd heard how much better the 2d was, but I didnt notice a big difference and the lack of communication between console and bow just aggravated me. I am sure the HDS Live is nice, and if you are familiar with Lowrance it is probably great, but I am just more comfortable with HB and I absolutely love the Solix. Nothing negative to say about Helix, they were great units but I switched to the Solix on console because of the waypoint marking. As far as networking, the Solix networks great with other HB's, especially other Solix's because you can share one map card, as well as MK products. It does take an additional piece of equipment (5 Port) with HB, but I am not familiar enough with Lowrance to know what is/isn't required in there networking.

Re: Solix vs HDS live [Re: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff] #13055885 02/07/19 10:58 PM
Fence Guy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Awesome. Im already running an Ultrex. Not really concerned about the I Link. I just need easy user interface, and on the water, and easy to decipher images, and reliability. Im planning on making my self a better off shore fisherman this uear

Re: Solix vs HDS live [Re: Dayne] #13055896 02/07/19 11:09 PM
Fence Guy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Ive heard the HB customer service is great!
Originally Posted by Dayne
I have been a Lowrance guy dating back to black and white block screens. I have been fighting issues with my HDS Gen 3 units and getting no help from Lowrance. I also decided to get a self stow trolling motor. The Minn Kota Ulterra was the only option. I have run it for a few months and decided I wanted more out of it so I bought a Solix 10 to use for mapping and linking with the MK. I have found it to be a good unit and plan to pull the flush mounted Lowrance out of my boat and put another Solix 10 in it. So in a few words I have lost confidence in Lowrance and am tired of fighting so I am just going to switch.

Ive heard HB customer service is great.

Re: Solix vs HDS live [Re: Fence Guy] #13056092 02/08/19 02:00 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Ive had both Helix units, HDS units(older), and now Carbons.

IMO, the Carbons with the Active Imaging is a much better picture than my Helix Mega SI unit.

As for easy to use? Well. The Helix units were the easiest to use, that said, they lacked the ability to be really well adjusted. The user friendliness of them was their downfall. The Carbons, with the 18.3 update, is very easy to use. Easy to use AND still have full adjustability. The Lowrance stuff is easier to network too...only need an inexpensive Ethernet cable of the appropriate length. The Carbons also have the ability to run a separate sonar transducer in hull and a separate SI/DI on the same unit. Keeping the expensive SI transducer mounted safely above pad and the sonar working while on pad.

Also, the Carbon and Live units are dual core processor units. They are fast. Really fast.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Solix vs HDS live [Re: Fence Guy] #13056383 02/08/19 01:54 PM
BlueTuna Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have one of the first Ulterras out on the market and it has ILink installed and never had a problem with it. I had it paired with the Onix. Shortly after the Solix came out I bought it and love it. I am a fan of the touch screen too. I love the way the Solix and Ulterra network together with Lakemasters chip to allow for the total boat control. Wouldnt go back to change a thing except to upgrade the Ulterra for the newer transducer. I would love to have livescope, but I want to see how the market and competitors react to produce units similar.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide