Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #13053606 02/05/19 10:24 PM
G
Gourdbuster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
We're all part of the same compost heap.
We're the all singing, all dancing [censored] of the world.”

-Chuck Palahniuk

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: Jpurdue] #13053662 02/05/19 11:36 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I do agree the odds are pretty narrow. But the number of lottery tickets you can buy are VAST beyond reckoning. We now know virtually every star has planets. One in five of those starts has an earth like planet that could potentially support life. There's something like 200 billion stars in our galaxy. So let's call it 40 billion earth like planets in the Milky way. Now multiple 40 billion by 2 trillion (galaxies in the observable universe). That's eighty septillion, or 80,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 earth like planets in the universe. That's a big pile of lottery tickets.

You are only calculating the odds of finding another planet that might be similar to earth...not that that planet did all of the things necessary for intelligent life to evolve. Those odds are numbers we don't have names for. Could there be other intelligent life in the universe? Sure. It's a REALLY big place, but unlikely.

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #13053670 02/05/19 11:44 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If you remove "intelligent " from your post the odds would probably be reduced by millions of life on other planets or the universe. Frankly, if there is other life forms out there I'd just as soon as they stay there. We got all the life forms we can handle right here.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #13053675 02/05/19 11:53 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Ive listened to George Noory before. When he and his callers start making sense, I just change the channel. I advise yall do the same.

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: Jpurdue] #13053679 02/05/19 11:55 PM
Westside. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I sometimes wonder if these people just got into a mess of psychedelic mushrooms.

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #13053685 02/06/19 12:01 AM
R
ReelBusy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
If you remove "intelligent " from your post the odds would probably be reduced by millions of life on other planets or the universe. Frankly, if there is other life forms out there I'd just as soon as they stay there. We got all the life forms we can handle right here.

If they monitor our air waves chances are they won't come here.

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: ReelBusy] #13053697 02/06/19 12:10 AM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by Hancock

If they did they would have figured out faster than light travel. That would be cool. Ludicrous speed.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: John175☮] #13053720 02/06/19 12:28 AM
R
ReelBusy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by John175
Originally Posted by Hancock

If they did they would have figured out faster than light travel. That would be cool. Ludicrous speed.

Ever get stuck in a black hole?

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: Jpurdue] #13053730 02/06/19 12:37 AM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Interesting thing to think about... So, where are they? Given the age of the universe the place really should be crawling with advanced civilizations. There's three main possibilities. 1. Life, or at least advanced civilizations are really rare. Maybe we don't see them because we are the only ones in the galaxy. Other galaxies are so far away that even travel at the speed of light doesn't do you any good. 2. Advanced civilizations quickly get to the point they become intentionally or otherwise "invisible to us." Maybe they upload themselves into computers, or they treat us like we treat the people on Sentinel island. A third possibility is a "great filter." Maybe virtually all advanced civilizations wind up destroying themselves before they reach the point they can branch out into the galaxy. Maybe they create AI which kills them. Maybe nuclear war. Maybe some science experiment that goes wrong and kills everybody (think large hadron collider) etc...

Maybe FTL travel is just impossible, and so stellar civilizations are forever separated from one another by impossible distances.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: Jpurdue] #13054444 02/06/19 06:16 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I sometimes wonder if these people just got into a mess of psychedelic mushrooms.
The ones that wrote the bible?

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #13054479 02/06/19 06:55 PM
B
Bug-e Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Interesting thing to think about... So, where are they? Given the age of the universe the place really should be crawling with advanced civilizations. There's three main possibilities. 1. Life, or at least advanced civilizations are really rare. Maybe we don't see them because we are the only ones in the galaxy. Other galaxies are so far away that even travel at the speed of light doesn't do you any good. 2. Advanced civilizations quickly get to the point they become intentionally or otherwise "invisible to us." Maybe they upload themselves into computers, or they treat us like we treat the people on Sentinel island. A third possibility is a "great filter." Maybe virtually all advanced civilizations wind up destroying themselves before they reach the point they can branch out into the galaxy. Maybe they create AI which kills them. Maybe nuclear war. Maybe some science experiment that goes wrong and kills everybody (think large hadron collider) etc...

Maybe FTL travel is just impossible, and so stellar civilizations are forever separated from one another by impossible distances.

Yep. By the time we see signs of civilization associated with a planet that we can detect (like atmospheric pollution, etc.) that civilization could have been dead for thousands to millions of years. The universe is unimaginably big and the number of stars with planets is apparently in the billions. The odds of even detecting a civilization that will be extant is super low, much less actually visiting.

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: Bug-e] #13054489 02/06/19 07:03 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by Bug-e
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

Yep. By the time we see signs of civilization associated with a planet that we can detect (like atmospheric pollution, etc.) that civilization could have been dead for thousands to millions of years. The universe is unimaginably big and the number of stars with planets is apparently in the billions. The odds of even detecting a civilization that will be extant is super low, much less actually visiting.

I gots a big imagination.

Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #13054538 02/06/19 07:42 PM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Seems ridiculous and small minded to believe we're the only life in all of space

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #13054556 02/06/19 08:02 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have some aliens living on my street, anybody's guess which planet they came from or how they got here. I know they shop at Walmart cause the plastic bags keep ending up in my yard. Best guess is they're from Uranus.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Do you beleive in ET ? [Re: txmasterpo] #13054583 02/06/19 08:25 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by txmasterpo
Seems ridiculous and small minded to believe we're the only life in all of space

Every galaxy has a habitable zone where conditions permit life may exist. That eliminates a massive amount of those stars the pinheads throw into the equation. We are freakishly rare. When you throw in the timeline of our existence the snapshot of here and now is incredible. Odds favor life elsewhere but precise conditions requirements narrow those odds. I'm sticking with ET does not exist at this current time. If he lands in East Texas and publicly dismembers a cow I might believe at this time they do exist. The math indicates the odds favor that there is life elsewhere but it does not prove there is life.

"If advanced, space-faring alien life exist anywhere in the Milky Way, odds are they will live in the Galactic Habitable Zone (GHZ). And if they want to explore the Milky Way searching for other life-bearing planets, similar to Earth, they would only have to explore the GHZ, not the whole of the Galaxy."

<snip>

"In between, there is the GHZ, that is just right for life, with our Solar System sitting near its center. We live in a particularly favorable location in the Milky Way for life. We also live at a special moment in the Milky Way for life. Until about 5 billion years ago, even apart from the shortage of metals needed for likes origin, the activity of star birth and the supernovas would have made life hazardous.

It has taken almost all of 5 billion years for intelligence to evolve on Earth, and if that is typical, we may be one of the first intelligent civilizations in our Galaxy. There is indeed something that appears to be unique about our place the Milky Way, in both time and space."

https://dailygalaxy.com/2019/02/kep...existence-of-advanced-space-faring-life/

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide