Print Thread
Need help on Texoma #13042466 01/26/19 05:46 AM
D
Dirk Parson Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I finally have a boat that is capable of fishing such a big lake, have been restricted to other lakes and species. I don't want to know anyone's exact spots, but could anyone tell me an area to start this time of year. I don't know if the upper, middle or near the dam is where to start, steep banks or flats. Really don't know much to any about stripper fishing but want to try it out.

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13043142 01/27/19 03:45 AM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Put in at Platter Flats, go out to main lake and use binoculars to look for diving sea gulls, any others boats around is also a good place to start just don't run the big motor right into them.
If you don't see anyone or any birds work your way north toward the bridge keeping an eye on the shallow coves to your left.
Take your time in this area as it's a timing thing. Once you at the bridge scan north and west towards the next bridge for boats or birds.
Work your way back down lake around the point on the right and to the west towards the cross and between the north islands to your left. Again Stop and use binos scanning back to the left and towards the dam for boats and birds.

The other "pattern" is to use your graph and lake map and sit on structure, drops humps creek bends etc. and wait from them to come under you.
4" Sassy shad in pearl or chart. 1/2 Oz or 3/4 Oz head cast and counted down to just above the fish on your graph.

Drop the bait under your transducer and watch it fall while you count to get a close idea of actual fall times when casting and retrieving.
Too heavy a head and your bait will fall too fast when you reel and stop and they won't hit it... it almost has to be swimming horz. and the longer at a specific depth you can keep it the more fish you'll catch.

Hope this helps.

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Denny Crane] #13043180 01/27/19 04:40 AM
C
Chaparro75 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Great info

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13043192 01/27/19 05:17 AM
D
Dirk Parson Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Thanks fort he info. Is there a dock at Platter Flats never been over that way and do you need a OK licence if you unload your boat in OK.

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13043702 01/27/19 09:22 PM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
You need a Texoma License anytime your on Texoma as it's ridiculously hard to know - and argue your in texas waters.
Yes, there is a dock.
Plan B is launch at Ike's, Grand Pappy's highport etc. but you'll be fishing at eastern most the Cross area and west under the 377 bridge.
Go out of any of those and hit big water and look with binos for birds n boats.
Most of the fish this time of the year are moving north and west to hit the creeks/rivers. It's why we fish PF areas, otherwise after spring we stay around the islands/cross and to the lil big mineral west, rarely going past 377.

There are fish under and to the sandy bank on the right past 377, a lot of big sandies and fast moving schools of box fish.
It's also a good area to use binos and watch for gulls.

Let us know how you do and all I ask is that you share what you learn with others.

DC

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13043953 01/28/19 03:01 AM
D
Dirk Parson Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Well I learned one thing today on Texoma, you can burn alot of gas. I launched at HP and took Denny's advice in reverse, found boats north of the Islands, just past the boats were gulls feeding and my son caught 1 24in stripper and my daughter missed several more. Than drove around with no more success. Went all the way to the RR bridge around to Little Mineral than almost to the 377 bridge. In all good times with my kids.

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13043981 01/28/19 03:42 AM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Great glad I could provide a little insight. From other's it sounded like the morning bite was the best and it died off as the day wore on.
I can't emphasize enough, you have to keep moving until you find them.
If you come up on Gulls sitting on the water, the feed just ended but the fish are still around, it's time to get on the graph and dead stick 'em.
Also, just because the school moved off and boats are chasing them doesn't mean you can't lag back, fish deeper and slow and catch the biggest fish of your life.
It takes a few times out to see the white birds with bino's so look often and watch where the ones overhead are heading, you can be around 100's going nuts then poof! they've all gone somewhere else.

Denny

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13044026 01/28/19 04:32 AM
D
Dirk Parson Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I asked about the OK licence thing because I have fished in Sabine Lake and you can fish the whole lake with either a TX or LA licence but you better unload your boat where you have a licence.

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13044228 01/28/19 02:31 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Great bigT tips Mr. Crane cheers

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13044940 01/29/19 01:34 AM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by Dirk Parson
I asked about the OK licence thing because I have fished in Sabine Lake and you can fish the whole lake with either a TX or LA licence but you better unload your boat where you have a licence.

That's NOT Texoma.... hence the Texoma license.
If you're below the dam on the Tx side and step in the river you're in Okie land.

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Denny Crane] #13046184 01/30/19 02:10 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Denny Crane
Great glad I could provide a little insight. From other's it sounded like the morning bite was the best and it died off as the day wore on.
If you come up on Gulls sitting on the water, the feed just ended but the fish are still around, it's time to get on the graph and dead stick 'em.
Also, just because the school moved off and boats are chasing them doesn't mean you can't lag back, fish deeper and slow and catch the biggest fish of your life.
It takes a few times out to see the white birds with bino's so look often and watch where the ones overhead are heading, you can be around 100's going nuts then poof! they've all gone somewhere else.

Denny

Originally Posted by Denny Crane

Denny

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13046188 01/30/19 02:11 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Those are awesome tips, thank you so much!

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13046483 01/30/19 01:55 PM
FishBeeLowMe Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Most will dead stick until surface water temps reach 60 degrees! Texoma is fishing GREAT, good luck!

https://moestackleshop.com/dead-stick-fishing-freshwater-striper-lures/

Re: Need help on Texoma [Re: Dirk Parson] #13050329 02/03/19 01:59 AM
J
JB in Ft Worth Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I hope you don't mind me tagging onto the end of this thread...

I've only been fishing Texoma for about a year, and I have to say that fishing such a large lake is somewhat intimidating. You could be anchored miles and miles from the best fishing and not really know it unless you spend 1/2 the weekend cruising around the lake.

I have my boat and camper stored at Big Mineral Resort, which is very convenient for me. However, I've often wondered if I would be better off moving farther east. Most of the success I have had striper fishing has been the area north of the islands and also the cove and flats near Mill Creek. The farthest I have traveled up the lake so far has been a few miles to the north and east of the islands. The open water to the west of Preston Point is about a 30 minute drive by boat from my "home" marina. It's hard to justify going that far to find fish as you burn quite a bit of time and fuel.

So I guess my question is: Am I fishing the wrong end of the lake? Would I find better fishing if I moved my boat and camper and focused on the waters east of Preston Point?

Can you recommend some areas on the western half of the lake? On my last trip I spent a day in the Buncombe Creek area. It looked like a good area based on structure / depths I was seeing on the graph. I only had moderate success that day, but I'm sure I will try that area again soon.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide