Print Thread
crappie jig help #13040460 01/24/19 03:45 PM
R
Ryno Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Crappie fishing is something I'd like to start doing more often. Just hoping for a few suggestions to get my son and I started.
Live bait or no live bait?
I have a few jigs but zero confidence in any of them lol.

I saw on another post some really awesome looking jigs that others use, but not sure where I could pick up those?

Growing up in the midwest, we crappie fished with minnows and slip bobber 98% of the time. Fun but you also have the hassle of getting minners every time.

I use 4# hi vis line on med action spinning rod. Any suggestions to help my boy and I get going is much appreciated.

Thank you Lord for the gifts in my life
Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13040575 01/24/19 05:16 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Congratulations on having your son alongside. A response to the question would take way too much time. Additionally, you'd also IMO get so many varied responses, you would be more confused.

My suggestion is to contact a guide that fishes lakes you are interested in. Many guides are active on this forum. Also, Google is your friend. I would hire a guide and tell him what you are trying to accomplish - not just catching fish, but to learn about equipment and techniques, etc. Foremost, select a guide that seems to be kid friendly - some are, some not. Ask for references. Let the guide know if you have a boat or not.

I'd also consider joining http://crappieanglersoftexas.com. There is a plethora of information provided over the years via video of meetings/seminars for members.

I'm sure others will chip in with more specific information but for my 2cents I would begin with a guide supplemented with research on the web/YouTube. Keep it simple and fun as you branch out.

Good luck.

Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13040638 01/24/19 06:10 PM
Dwight Hardy Offline
Angler
Angler
Good advice from UJC.

As far as jigs they are many that will work and they dont have be works of art. They catch more fisherman than fish sometimes.
Im sure that at times they prefer different colors and size because I read and hear about it but a
good 1/16 oz jig in black/chartreuse or blue/chartreuse has caught a lot of fish for me. About all I fish with any more.
Never a bad ideal to have a few extra colors handy just in case.

Also I suggest starting out using tube jigs and non painted jig heads.
If non painted you know that the color tube you put on is right or wrong. The tubes are way easier to change than tied jigs if you feel the need to change colors.

I fish with a friend that totes Walmart to the lake when we fish together. I cary a Plano waterproof box about 4x8.
He most always ends up using somthing out of my box.

Anyway good luck and enjoy.

Re: crappie jig help [Re: Dwight Hardy] #13040710 01/24/19 07:00 PM
R
Ryno Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Thanks fellas,
I know ice fishing up north, crappies almost always seemed to like a pink and something combination. Are there any popular combinations down here? I've heard a lot about unpainted jig heads.....will give that a try. My son and I have kayaks. Not looking to venture too far out obviously. But just get him on a couple.

Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13040774 01/24/19 07:50 PM
P
pepop Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Ryno, which lakes will you be fishing?

Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13040784 01/24/19 08:06 PM
Dwight Hardy Offline
Angler
Angler
Well I fish five different lakes in east Texas and two rivers.
The two colors I mentioned above work year in and year out.

Re: crappie jig help [Re: pepop] #13040823 01/24/19 08:52 PM
R
Ryno Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Eagle Mountain
Grapevine
Ray Roberts
Lewisville

Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13040939 01/24/19 10:52 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Good colors for year around: white/chartreuse, black/chartreuse. pink/chart, blue/white, solid chart, something in natural shad color and gray. With these colors, one of them will work on any given day.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13041046 01/25/19 01:11 AM
BlueTuna Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ryno, I was in the same place as you, same background when it came to my experience in Crappie fishing when I was a kid. I also sort of made a decision to pursue Crappie fishing differently. First I decided I wanted to learn to use artificial bait. With that decision made I looked around for a guide that could break it down in terms of equipment, styles of fishing, someone that could be a coach for an afternoon, and fish a new lake and have a great time. First, I want to say here at TFF we are blessed to have so many great Crappie guides. I found my guide accidentally. I went looking for plastics, baits, after all I would need some good tackle. I came across a company called Constant Pursuit Outfitters, I had heard good things about their tackle. I read a little about the owner Lane Palmer and was hooked on his story. Long story short, I met up with Lane for a day of Crappie fishing at Cedar Creek. All I can say is, Lane has got it going on, I had a great time catching big black Crappie and he answered every question I could pose! It was so much fun and in that short amount of time I learned enough to whet my appetite more for this part of my fishing life, enough to at least give me a jump start. Lane Palmer, Constant Pursuit Outfitters, he is a great guide, and they build great Crappie baits.

[Linked Image]
Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13041150 01/25/19 02:31 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
A day on the water with Lane Palmer, or Jerry Hancock, Hancock's Guide Service, or Mark Standridge, 3 Nails Guide Service, will save you about 1-2 years of trial and error on your own. And Lane fishes those lakes on the west side of the metromess as well. And I'm sure the advice is free so a phone call to Lane will be well worth it.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: crappie jig help [Re: Ryno] #13041212 01/25/19 03:46 AM
BlueTuna Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ken, thats what lane said to me. I am about to take him up on it!

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide