texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Tate Waller, Jake.Boos, Shadslayer69, Steven Dunnavant, Goodtogo
114095 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 98,583
Pilothawk 80,525
John175☮ 77,868
Bigbob_FTW 68,936
JDavis7873 67,400
Derek 🐝 65,511
Mark Perry 61,375
Tritonman 59,010
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics1,135,396
Posts15,478,391
Members139,095
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Lake Texoma Spillway #13038870 01/22/19 11:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
J
JJ4MEL Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
Is it legal to hike down to the water at the bottom of the spillway? I have tried searching here and Google, but was unable to find any info if it was private property or Corp property and if I could hike down.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13039579 01/23/19 06:05 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 673
red snappa Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 673
There is access to fish both the Texas and Oklahoma side of the spillway built by the Corp of Engineers. What area are you referring to as the "bottom of the spillway"?


I like my fishing like a whino likes his wine!
http://thermoclinelures.com
http://advancedtaxidermy.com
Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13039790 01/23/19 09:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
J
JJ4MEL Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
Spillway, not below the dam. [Linked Image]

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13040502 01/24/19 04:10 PM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 337
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
G
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 337
I would be shocked if the spillway itself was private property, though that's a separate question from if USACE wants you down there. That said, there are several photos on google taken from the lower part of the concrete slab and some of the rocks down there, including people fishing, so I would assume you can, unless you see it signed/posted otherwise.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: Glitchmo] #13040595 01/24/19 05:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
J
JJ4MEL Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
Originally Posted by Glitchmo
I would be shocked if the spillway itself was private property, though that's a separate question from if USACE wants you down there. That said, there are several photos on google taken from the lower part of the concrete slab and some of the rocks down there, including people fishing, so I would assume you can, unless you see it signed/posted otherwise.


Just got off the phone with the USACE. It is Corps property and they said I can hike all around there and fish. I just can't step foot on the concrete spillway itself.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13040738 01/24/19 07:21 PM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 337
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
G
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 337
Well, theres always the direct approach I suppose. wink

Curious whats in there. The lower down areas closer to the river seemed dead when I scoured it once, but that deep pool could be interesting.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: Glitchmo] #13040826 01/24/19 08:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
J
JJ4MEL Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
Originally Posted by Glitchmo
Well, theres always the direct approach I suppose. wink

Curious whats in there. The lower down areas closer to the river seemed dead when I scoured it once, but that deep pool could be interesting.


I will keep you posted on how we do!!

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13041873 01/25/19 08:28 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 33,423
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Nonbinary Gender of the Year 2017
Offline
Nonbinary Gender of the Year 2017
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 33,423
Wasnt there like a 4000 page thread in this section just about fishing the spillway?

I have never fished it but have a friend who does. Lots of large striper and HUGE blue cat there. Its a popular spot.


Originally Posted By: junbengreat
Pulled a gun on his dryer and they caught a bunch of fish.
Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13041934 01/25/19 09:43 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
J
JJ4MEL Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Wasnt there like a 4000 page thread in this section just about fishing the spillway?

I have never fished it but have a friend who does. Lots of large striper and HUGE blue cat there. Its a popular spot.


No, you are referring to the area below the dam where they release. I am referring to the area in the photo above that the lake spills in to during extreme flooding.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13052180 02/04/19 05:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,221
C
CRAPPIEJIGN Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,221
Fished below the spillway many, many years ago.

Caught several black bass and a couple of crappie. I think there were concrete steps or a somewhat worn hiking path on the side closet to the Denison Dam.

Best fishing was on the shoreline opposing the spillway facing. The bottom was a mixture of small golfball sized rock and a hard bottom. The bottom was more like silt in front of the spillway face.

Great place for a 6 ft light action spinning rod. Best lures were Heddon GayBlades. Although a 1/8 ounce RatLTrap may be a good substitute. That lure caught crappie and a couple of the bass. The majority of the bass were caught on a black 4 inch lizard, Texas rigged, with a 1/8 ounce weight.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13752576 11/02/20 12:28 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
R
RCollins57 Offline
Green Horn
Offline
Green Horn
R
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
Hey, trying to revive this thread a bit. I've been scouring the internet trying find any forum of people who have fished this spot and this seems to be the only one.

My family lives about 20 minutes south of Texoma. When I went to visit them this past July, through google maps, I discovered this location, but have been trying to find answers since then if the fishing is any good. Does anyone frequent this spot or have experience catching any monsters out of this spillway in recent years?

I wanna fish this spot with the potential for some good results, but don't wanna waste away a good fishing day with no good catches. Thanks.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: RCollins57] #13753941 11/02/20 09:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
J
JJ4MEL Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,595
Originally Posted by RCollins57
Hey, trying to revive this thread a bit. I've been scouring the internet trying find any forum of people who have fished this spot and this seems to be the only one.

My family lives about 20 minutes south of Texoma. When I went to visit them this past July, through google maps, I discovered this location, but have been trying to find answers since then if the fishing is any good. Does anyone frequent this spot or have experience catching any monsters out of this spillway in recent years?

I wanna fish this spot with the potential for some good results, but don't wanna waste away a good fishing day with no good catches. Thanks.


Kids and I have hiked this spillway on many occasions. Water is mostly clear and LOTS of fish. Just got to find them. Just know, it is a hike to say the least. You can hike down the side of the spillway, but it is steep and slippery in some areas, then you have to trek across some bigger rock (rip rap type) then you still have to find better bank access. You can park at the bridge and hike back in towards the spillway, but it is probably over a mile. However, it is a bit easier.

On a side note, if you have kids or yourself like to hunt for fossils, my kids and I collect a few from this area and some nice pieces or pyrite (fools gold). One of my boys even found a geode back in there.

Re: Lake Texoma Spillway [Re: JJ4MEL] #13756874 11/04/20 08:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
R
RCollins57 Offline
Green Horn
Offline
Green Horn
R
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
Thank you for the insightful response. I think I'll play it safe and park at the bridge and hike over there next time I'm in town. It's really great to hear the fishing is good at this spot. Im excited to hear there are other treasures to look for while fishing, so I'll keep my eyes peeled when I'm out there.

Much appreciated!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3