Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #12978749 11/28/18 09:45 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I quit smoking for 15 years then 5 years ago I started dating a woman that smoked. Swore I would never date anyone who smoked but I did and ended up marrying her. Needless to say like a dumb@$$ I started smoking again myself for 5 years. Thankfully we both quit a few months ago. Wasn't too difficult for me but it was definitely a challenge for her.

Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #12985937 12/05/18 05:42 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I quit cold turkey 11/8/94 and its the best thing I've ever done. Three packs (Marlboro/Camel) a day for 23 years was not an easy thing to do. I craved them nasty things for over a year and now, I can't stand the smell of them or the smell of the person smoking them. I also quit all the drugs I was smoking, snorting, and taking on the same day. The hardest of them all to quit was the cigarettes. I know its not easy but YOU can do it. The money you save will buy a boatload of tackle, thats a bad habit too but its a lot healthier.

Last edited by Topwater2; 12/05/18 05:43 PM.

FishKen
Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #12989659 12/09/18 12:55 PM
M
MarcM64 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I have never smoked, but dipped for over 30 years. Tried several times to quit. Found an alternative called Hooch Herbal snuff! They have several flavors and is as close to the real thing as anything! Quit over a year ago and have'nt looked back!

Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #12991724 12/11/18 12:52 AM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
My decision to quit was easy- I had a heart attack on Jan. 7, 2017. Halfway to heaven when they shocked me back to life. My grandson was due in June and I decided Id rather stick around and see him grow and just did it. It was not easy. My advice is go via a medical doctors advice.

Re: Here I go again [Re: tmd11111] #12995952 12/15/18 10:48 AM
R
RickS. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by tmd11111
I quit smoking for 15 years then 5 years ago I started dating a woman that smoked. Swore I would never date anyone who smoked but I did and ended up marrying her. Needless to say like a dumb@$$ I started smoking again myself for 5 years. Thankfully we both quit a few months ago. Wasn't too difficult for me but it was definitely a challenge for her.

My dad quit for several years. Started back up when he remarried my mom. Who still smoked.

I quit in 2014 for 33 days. That went out the window when I found out my ex was cheating. I was weak for a brief moment, and that was all it took. I'm working on quiting again. Slowed down but still smoking. I think I'm going to try the vape route but with CBD instead of nicotine. Sounds far fetched, but my thinking is vaping CBD will place the CBD directly on the lungs. Hopefully help clean them up in the same process. But I'm planning on doing it when the dispensaries open up here after the new year. That way I can get better quality CBD. The OTC stuff is alright. But I prefer marijuana based over hemp based. If that fails. I'm going to break my code of not seeing doctors, and go get some Chantix. May as well. I pay for insurance. I should use it every few years.

Health isn't even my motivation. I've been a painter for over 20 years. That **** can kill me just as fast. Money is my motivation. Over $6 a pack here in the rust belt. Two people a pack a day each adds up. Over five grand a year.
Mentally I'm using the same approach I used over a decade ago. When I decided I needed to leave the party life behind. I'm making myself hate it. Once it really sets in and it ****es me off enough. I'll just say eff it and quit. Im getting closer every time I buy some and the price has gone up. Or every time I'm in a smoke free environment, and I can smell it on me. The **** stinks.
It's a mental game mainly. Make yourself hate it as much as you hate anything you may hate.

Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #13000988 12/20/18 10:02 PM
M
mikereils5er Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Just saw this thread, it hits home with me. I am 29, I dipped from 17 years old until Christmas of last year when I was 28. I tried quitting many times during my 20's but being a college baseball player and eventually a high school coach, it was hard for me to get rid of it in my life. One thing that has help since I quit last year, is to stay busy are meals. I also like to keep my mouth busy in tough times including fishing and even watching the rangers, this includes coffee candy and gum.

I will say this, and everyone has there stories with tobacco. I am pretty convinced I got a immune disease from chewing. In late 2016, I was diagnosed with alopecia areata. It is immune disease that causes patchy hairloss on your body. Mine affected mostly my head. As I had several quarter size and bigger spots missing. I had to shave my head for around 1.5 years. I am pretty surre the chemicals and stuff cause leaky gut along with my diet.
Today, I almost have a full head of hair, besides on little spot.
To anyone reading this mulling over to quitting dip, do it. It is the hardest thing youll ever do. But its worth it and it continues to be worth it.

Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #13003197 12/23/18 06:10 AM
R
Rocky Robison Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Glad to hear all these success stories and especially glad to hear others are trying to quit!
824 days and don't even think about it till I see this thread!
Keep stacking 'em folks!

Re: Here I go again [Re: Tidwell77] #13007004 12/27/18 03:49 PM
T
TexasZman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted by Tidwell77
I need to jump on this band wagon too. I need to find a replacement for them smokes and a vape isnt the way for me cause i ended up back smoking. Kudos to everyone who has defeated the monster too.

You don't need a "replacement", you just need to quit.

I quit 29 years ago, cold turkey. The hard part was at work. When I triggered, I used to go the Smoking Area, hang out with everybody and have a smoke or two. When I decided to quit, those times I triggered, I had to do something else. Instead of walking to the Smoking Area, I walked to the water fountain and drank water. Then I'd walk for about 10 minutes. After that, I'd go back to my work space.
I had to stop going to bars and clubs with my friends, but it was worth it because I stopped.
Yes, there were many times in the following years that I would feel that trigger or urge to smoke. It gets easier after the first day, the first week, the first 6 months, the first year, etc. One day at a time, but stay confident.

Be Inspired, Inspire those around you.
Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #13007575 12/28/18 02:19 AM
DanDaBald Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
TexasZman hit it right square on the head:

Change your mind first - because as long as you're looking for a replacement that's what you'll be satisfied with. Get to the point where you can say "No More". It's a mental thing and what I did was plan my quit for 2009. I started in January shuffling my triggers up. I'd wait until _after_ my coffee in the morning for the first smoke. I'd suck on a sugar-free cough drop instead of meeting the group on the smoke dock at 10, 2 and 4. I'd walk around the building. I quit smoking in my truck every time I got in it. It took me nine months but I finally had my last cigarette at 10PM on 9/10/2009. I crushed beyond recognition the last 5 butts in the pack so I wouldn't be tempted in the morning.
I decided that if the survivors of those who perished in the attack of 9/11/01 went on without their loved ones I could go on without cigarettes.
Promise yourself that nothing passes your lips. Not tobacco smoke, not vape, not chew, not dip. Nothing.
Sugar-free cough drops last about as long as a cigarette and they give your mouth something to do.
Chew on a pen top or a pencil or a Popsicle stick to get your hand involved in the old ritual.
The serenity prayer will remind you of the things you can control.
Stack up the days one at a time - WITHOUT caving in to the old habit.

Check back with us in about a month - you'll be surprised at your results once you put your mind in the right place.

Lesser folks than you have stopped smoking, you CAN too.

flag NEVER FORGET 9/11/2001 flag
Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #13007592 12/28/18 02:26 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I quit smoking in 1990 but started dipping instead thinking it was not as harmful. Wrong and quitting dip was harder than quitting smoking. Sunflower seeds helped my stop dipping and now the only habit I have is jelly beans. If it ain't one thing it's another.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Here I go again [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #13012645 01/01/19 03:17 AM
DanDaBald Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
If it ain't one thing it's another.

The trick is to pick something that won't kill you.

Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #13035892 01/20/19 03:43 PM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I'm tired of smoking.Horrible habit. My daughter just got married and I want to see my grandkids grow up.
Are there any "safe" e-cig options for me to try for the first couple weeks after putting the cigarettes down, for the times when I'm tempted to light up?

Re: Here I go again [Re: McLovin’] #13036684 01/21/19 02:17 AM
S
steveiam Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Mudbone
I'm tired of smoking.Horrible habit. My daughter just got married and I want to see my grandkids grow up.
Are there any "safe" e-cig options for me to try for the first couple weeks after putting the cigarettes down, for the times when I'm tempted to light up?

Hey Mudbone, I cant right now, but tomorrow Ill send a PM about my situation.

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #13037032 01/21/19 12:50 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Stay away from vaping, its starting to look like it could be worse than smoking.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Here I go again [Re: Rocky Robison] #13037834 01/21/19 11:08 PM
DanDaBald Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I'm personally of the opinion that there is nothing "safe" that you can put in your lungs outside of good old-fashioned air that the Good Lord put on this earth for us to breathe.

Just quit. If you need a substitute for when you feel tempted to light up, here's a couple of thoughts:
>Don't buy a pack of coffin nails "just in case".
>Throw away all of your matches and cigarette lighters - this goes for the lighter in your vehicle too.
>Have a substitute readily available for when the "urge" hits you - as documented several times in this sub-forum and in this thread on the previous page, I successfully used (and still do) sugar-free cough drops - they last about as long as a cigarette and they are 100% legal anywhere, even in a trans-oceanic airplane.
>If someone or something is giving you that shaky feeling and you feel you must light one up, politely excuse yourself and pop a cough drop, chew on a stir stick and take a walk around the block.
>Nicotine patches, gums, lozenges only replace an addictive compound with an addictive compound. They do not work.
>Most people who have quit smoking will tell you that you need to change your mind first, then stopping smoking (or dipping or chewing or whatever) is easier.

If you think you can or you think you can't . . . . . . . . . . . you're probably right.

If you want to see those grand-babies and enjoy what they will bring to your life, what's more important?

Lesser folks than yourself have quit smoking - I'm one of them, working on my tenth year without a smoke.

I know you can stop smoking if you put your mind to it.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide