Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Vietnam War #13022059 01/08/19 01:27 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Given the large number of olds on here, I'd be curious to here everyone's thoughts and opinions. A justified conflict? Did we win or lose? What did we do wrong? Would we do it again? Discuss.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022075 01/08/19 01:47 PM
R
RickS. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
I was born in 71 so my knowledge of the war is limited.
But I will give them props for the whole splinter under the finger nail thing. As someone who currently can't dig a splinter out from under his finger nail. I will say that it was a smart torture tactic. Because this **** hurts

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022113 01/08/19 02:25 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
The Vietnamese leadership on both sides really made things impossible.
When the Vietnamese successfully obtained independence from France, instead of unifying the country under a stable political system, there was extremism, corruption, and power grabbing on both sides.

The Geneva accord didn't help. When French Indo China obtained independence, the accord fractured the region into three different countries, and further divided Vietnam. A recipe for disaster.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022126 01/08/19 02:32 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Found out what it was like to fight an enemy on two fronts, the bureaucrats in Washington were worse than the enemy in front of us.

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022131 01/08/19 02:33 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
From my limited understanding, I think the rationale for going into the conflict at the time was sound. At least 3, possible 4 presidents all generally agreed. The fear of course was a domino effect in the spread of communism. That never materialized, but it's impossible to know whether it would have spread further had the conflict in Vietnam never occurred. As far as a strategy, search and destroy seems fool-hearty. Forcing platoons into the jungle to hunt VC on the their home turf with the only measure of victory being body count. I'd be interested to hear if anyone on the forum actually fought in the war. From what I gather, ground forces rarely physically saw the VC they were shooting at in combat. It was more of find their general location and then spray and pray.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022132 01/08/19 02:33 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
It was basically a civil war within the country, but also a proxy war between the USA and the USSR/China. The notion was that if Vietnam fell to the Commies, the Domino Effect would have other countries doing the same. It was a massive waste of lives, effort, and money. Some will say we could have won it if this was done or that was done, but what would we have won? Afghanistan is looking to be our current Vietnam.

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022135 01/08/19 02:34 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Well lets see what LBJ had to say about it in 64, I feel like a [censored] caught in a Texas hailstorm. I cant run, I cant hide and I cant make it stop.

Does not sound like something we would want to do again.

I have no first hand knowledge, I was born long after the war ended but my Dad was an Air Force pilot. He flew F-4s out of Thailand during the war. He did not talk about it much at all but I do recall him saying "The whole thing was a waste. There were no winners there only losers. We never should have been there in the first place."

Other than talking about the planes and his buddies that was all he ever said about the war as far as political comment or should we or should we not have been engaged type of thing. I always felt he was conflicted by the war...that he was part of it. I recall being a little kid and watching some war show about Vietnam and getting all excited and asking my Dad how many people he killed. BOY I recall to this day the lecture I got on how killing was wrong, and no one wanted to do it, and you don't celebrate or brag on it and violence is never justified.... he went on for a long time. I was like 7 and was like "Note to self, don't mention that stuff again to dad" ha ha.

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022137 01/08/19 02:36 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There are folks here who killed VC, and that rests heavy on their souls. I trained pilots for that war and that rests heavy on my soul.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022173 01/08/19 02:55 PM
RATZ Offline
Activity Coordinator
Activity Coordinator
the biggest loss was the way the Vets were treated when they returned home. That's a scar on our country that hasn't healed.

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022175 01/08/19 02:55 PM
S
Snakeyes711 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I'm only 62.5 years old so I'm too young to be giving my "opinion" on what we should or shouldn't have done in Nam. So I should really just keep my f'kng mouth shut. However I will say from what I recall it was a war that just did not seem win-able. Mostly due to the junglelike terrain of Vietnam. Nixon and Kissinger should have probably gotten us out 1 or 2 years earlier.

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022177 01/08/19 02:56 PM
H
Hog Jaw Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
H
My Dad went to Nam , never talked about it at all , I almost got stationed on a Gun Boat after the US pulled out , we were trying to cut off the Ho Chi Men trail around Cambodia .

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022235 01/08/19 03:33 PM
F
forkduc Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Justified, maybe.
Those of us that fought there felt we won .
Should have been able to fully attack the north and not [censored] foot around Russians.
While there, those of us that were older and educated, realized quickly the politicians and generals were playing with our lives. So many young draftees were sacrificed to an effort that could not be won as fought!
Do it again? Look at history for your answer.

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022237 01/08/19 03:35 PM
P
Patriot Guard Rider Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
From my limited understanding, I think the rationale for going into the conflict at the time was sound. At least 3, possible 4 presidents all generally agreed. The fear of course was a domino effect in the spread of communism. That never materialized, but it's impossible to know whether it would have spread further had the conflict in Vietnam never occurred. As far as a strategy, search and destroy seems fool-hearty. Forcing platoons into the jungle to hunt VC on the their home turf with the only measure of victory being body count. I'd be interested to hear if anyone on the forum actually fought in the war. From what I gather, ground forces rarely physically saw the VC they were shooting at in combat. It was more of find their general location and then spray and pray.

I actually did. I was assigned to an artillery battery with the 4th Inf. Div. and spent all my time in the Central Highlands, usually within eyesight of the tri-country border where Laos, Cambodia and VN met. I was a Sgt. and NCOIC of the fire direction control unit. We saw lots of combat all around us for the 15 months I spent in-country, and our fire bases were attacked quite a few times. We were direct support for an infantry battalion of 4 companies. Two companies would work the field and the other two would provide perimeter defense for us. I don't know that I ever encountered a VC. We were fighting against the North Vietnamese Army in our area, and they were a well trained army. Watch the movie, "We Were Soldiers". It happened in the Ia Drang Valley which was close to the highlands. My unit spent some time there in support of a special operation, a few years after the events of that movie played out. That was the enemy we faced every day.

Nobody won. Everybody lost, and there were tens of thousands of deaths on both sides. This was the first war, I think, where there were "rules of engagement" enforced by the politicians. We were totally hamstrung by them. We were not allowed to shoot into Cambodia and Laos at the NVA who were using the Ho Chi Minh trail to move troops and supplies from the north to the south. By agreement, they were not supposed to be there. I'm not sure what sort of engagement rules were in place for the infantry, air force and naval folks.

The political climate in this country made it miserable for us when we came home. It was a very unpopular war and the troops took an unbelievable amount of the blame for doing what we were ordered to do. I was never spit on, but I was called a lot of terrible things walking thru the airports on my way home. I am so glad that today's military has never been subjected to that, and that thousands of folks have turned out to welcome them home. They have all, for the most part, been treated as heroes.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Family is everything!

Life is precious. We don’t have forever. We have now. This moment. We can choose to love our lives now.

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #13022245 01/08/19 03:43 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
Originally Posted by Jpurdue

I actually did. I was assigned to an artillery battery with the 4th Inf. Div. and spent all my time in the Central Highlands, usually within eyesight of the tri-country border where Laos, Cambodia and VN met. I was a Sgt. and NCOIC of the fire direction control unit. We saw lots of combat all around us for the 15 months I spent in-country, and our fire bases were attacked quite a few times. We were direct support for an infantry battalion of 4 companies. Two companies would work the field and the other two would provide perimeter defense for us. I don't know that I ever encountered a VC. We were fighting against the North Vietnamese Army in our area, and they were a well trained army. Watch the movie, "We Were Soldiers". It happened in the Ia Drang Valley which was close to the highlands. My unit spent some time there in support of a special operation, a few years after the events of that movie played out. That was the enemy we faced every day.

Nobody won. Everybody lost, and there were tens of thousands of deaths on both sides. This was the first war, I think, where there were "rules of engagement" enforced by the politicians. We were totally hamstrung by them. We were not allowed to shoot into Cambodia and Laos at the NVA who were using the Ho Chi Minh trail to move troops and supplies from the north to the south. By agreement, they were not supposed to be there. I'm not sure what sort of engagement rules were in place for the infantry, air force and naval folks.

The political climate in this country made it miserable for us when we came home. It was a very unpopular war and the troops took an unbelievable amount of the blame for doing what we were ordered to do. I was never spit on, but I was called a lot of terrible things walking thru the airports on my way home. I am so glad that today's military has never been subjected to that, and that thousands of folks have turned out to welcome them home. They have all, for the most part, been treated as heroes.

Thanks for sharing PGR, and thank you for your service!

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: The Vietnam War [Re: Jpurdue] #13022274 01/08/19 04:10 PM
retdbasser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
PGR and anyone else who served there. soldier

I was fortunate to get discharged one year before it elevated. flag

Prepare for the future-it will be here tomorrow.
Personal Best Large Mouth Bass 9 lbs. 12 oz 5/13/19.
Herb Stein, who famously reminded us that “if something can’t go on forever, it will stop.”
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide