Print Thread
Ulterra TM #13021296 01/07/19 11:04 PM
M
mavsfan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I wish there was a search on this web site because I bet this has been discussed before.
Do any of you have a pro or con on the Minn Kota Ulterra.?
I am thinking of ordering one from Cabela's.
Thanks

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13021324 01/07/19 11:21 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Search feature is right between Active threads and Forum Help at the top.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13021338 01/07/19 11:32 PM
M
mavsfan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Thank you..first time I have seen the search

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13022759 01/08/19 11:42 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
PRO- Easy one man unloading of boat. Never have a sore back from dropping and stowing all day. I will see something on SI, throttle down and hit deploy then go back and search for it again while never leaving my seat.

CONS- Mounting an external transducer requires some work around. It can be done but you can't run the cable up the shaft like traditional motors. Must be sure transducer cables are at proper length and don't get in the way because it can cause it to bind when stowing and could damage it. I learned the hard way. If the stow/deploy feature does go out, you can't use the trolling motor until it is repaired.

I made a mistake with the cable and wasn't watching and broke the auto stow soon after buying but it was repaired under warranty. Fixed cable and haven't had an issue again. I bought a HB360 but can't mount it on the Ulterra. there are some aftermarket ones sold but I have tried 2. the most common one was not designed very well and you spend all day retightening it. The other was similar but better built but I found it was too heavy and wanted to cause the stow to bind occasionally. You have to remember to turn the switch on the unit on before you let the boat float into the water otherwise your remote won't work and you'll just watch your boat drift away. Regardless of what some will warn, that it is not any good if you fish in stumps, that is said by people who don't have one. I have hit many stumps and never had an issue. I don't have an issue steering it in a stump field either.

I have had mine for 1.5 - 2 years and I wouldn't trade it for any other motor.

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13022809 01/09/19 12:18 AM
Dwight Hardy Offline
Angler
Angler
I assume that the launching benefit only applies when there is a dock at the launch site.

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13022817 01/09/19 12:23 AM
M
mavsfan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Like anything, it will take getting used to. I just hope buying the Ulterra will encourage me to get on the lake more-since most of my free time is when I am alone-wife doing something else....

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13022876 01/09/19 01:17 AM
D
Dayne Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I have been using an Ulterra for the last few months. My greatest regret is not having done it sooner. I did not get the Ipilot link because I have Lowrance units. I'm going tomorrow to order a Solix and the Ipilot link.

Bobby have you looked at Precision Sonar's cable holder? I have it on my Ulterra with a total scan transducer. It works fine.

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: Dayne] #13023012 01/09/19 02:56 AM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dayne
I have been using an Ulterra for the last few months. My greatest regret is not having done it sooner. I did not get the Ipilot link because I have Lowrance units. I'm going tomorrow to order a Solix and the Ipilot link.

Bobby have you looked at Precision Sonar's cable holder? I have it on my Ulterra with a total scan transducer. It works fine.

The new Solix Gen 2 will be out later this month if you want the newest model

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13023062 01/09/19 04:07 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Dayne, You are correct. I forgot about PS cable holder. I had the 360 mounted and it wouldn't work with that on the shaft. Now that it is off, the PS certainly would work.

Dwight, not necessarily. I slide it in the water, drop the trolling motor and hit spotlock. When I return I drive it to me. If there isn't a dock, I just start it moving to me and then hit stow. the trolling motor will stow and it will "coast" the rest of the way to me and I can slow it by hand or on a soft shore I can let it just slide up. Of course there are conditions either physical or weather that it won't work and then you have to go back to the old way but so far I haven't found an issue.

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13023284 01/09/19 02:43 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I've had my Ulterra for almost a year now and I haven't found a true con IMO. Some don't like the foot pedal but I transitioned from a hand control to the Ulterra so it works fine for me. The stow/deploy is a great feature if you fish by yourself and don't like to get wet. Trim is super helpful if you get into shallow water and the spot lock is the bomb.

I haven't tried to mount an external transducer or hydrowave speaker but they do have mounting brackets to allow these to be used.

As others have stated I just wish I had done it a long time ago

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: Ulterra TM [Re: 44 Diesel] #13023464 01/09/19 04:50 PM
D
Dayne Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by 44 Diesel
Originally Posted by Dayne

The new Solix Gen 2 will be out later this month if you want the newest model

According to my dealer the Solix G2 is what he is getting.

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: mavsfan] #13024972 01/10/19 09:23 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
I have had mine for exactly a year now. I didn't know how many times I have pull on the old rope on the hand controlled TM until I got my Ulterra . I got the saltwater version just to match my white boat, but I should have got the freshwater version so I could use the internal transducer. I have yet to hook up my front depth finder due to having to get a special mount to attach my transducer to the TM.
Spot Lock is the greatest and I have yet to loose my boat at the ramp dumping it in un-manned. Love that feature of just dumping the boat, spot-lock it out of the way, go park and then just retrieve the boat as I walk down to the lake.

Re: Ulterra TM [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13024976 01/10/19 09:27 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JWC Nauticstar
I have had mine for exactly a year now. I didn't know how many times I have pull on the old rope on the hand controlled TM until I got my Ulterra . I got the saltwater version just to match my white boat, but I should have got the freshwater version so I could use the internal transducer. I have yet to hook up my front depth finder due to having to get a special mount to attach my transducer to the TM.
Spot Lock is the greatest and I have yet to loose my boat at the ramp dumping it in un-manned. Love that feature of just dumping the boat, spot-lock it out of the way, go park and then just retrieve the boat as I walk down to the lake.

What if there's no courtesy dock ? Can you still beach it ?

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ulterra TM [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #13024979 01/10/19 09:31 PM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted by JWC Nauticstar

What if there's no courtesy dock ? Can you still beach it ?

Yes, just trying it up as it gets closer to to the bamk

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide