Print Thread
Dock/Fishing Lights #12976009 11/26/18 02:25 AM
S
Skippy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Does anyone know anything about fishing lights for a boat dock? My neighbor on Tawakoni has one light that is about two feet over the water that attracts fish like crazy. It seems to just be a normal light. Its not LED, its not green. Its not underwater. Let me know if you have any opinions and/or info. Thanks.

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12976097 11/26/18 06:04 AM
W
Winger Ed. Offline
Angler
Angler
W
They all work to one degree or another. Brighter tends to be better.
The big deal on the green lights is they are supposed to attract fish, but not bugs.
Little fish and larva come near the surface, and predators can see them from below as well as from the outer edge of the light pattern.
A bug zapper out over the water will bring fish too, especially brim.

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11/26/18 06:10 AM.

Enough of this idle chit-chat. This ain't no retirement home.
EVERYONE! Get back to your oars.
The Captain wants to waterski.
Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12976286 11/26/18 02:52 PM
H
honey hole Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
We look for bright non LED lights casting a lot of light IN TO the water. The yellow or orange lights seem to work well also. The green underwater lights are obviously effective as well. I personally have never had great luck fishing over LED lights. Sodium vapor lights near the water work well and is probably what your neighbor has.

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: honey hole] #12976291 11/26/18 02:58 PM
S
Skippy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks for the info. These are the things I was wondering about.

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12976328 11/26/18 03:37 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
I used to fish Green lights all the time on PK. The main problem with green lights is they attract a lot of sand bass. If you like sand bass that is the way to go. You can get stripers on those green lights if the water is deep enough, but the stripers are usually after the perch that are chasing ghost minnows. A few years ago I stumbled on a dock that had some big mercury lights close to the water. These lights did have a few sand bass around them but were chock full of crappie. In the clear water of PK, I assume any crappie smart enough to live to be 10 inches is smart enough not to illuminate itself in that light.

Since this is a white bass thread, I would recommend you getting a green light and put it in fairly deep water if you want stripers. If it's sandies you want 10 feet will do just fine. I've seen the green lights on Gaines bend on OK that are in 10 feet or less have so many sand bass in them that you could not pull a jig across them without catching one,

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12977704 11/27/18 08:42 PM
J
Joe Todd Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Skippy
Does anyone know anything about fishing lights for a boat dock? My neighbor on Tawakoni has one light that is about two feet over the water that attracts fish like crazy. It seems to just be a “normal” light. It’s not LED, it’s not green. It’s not underwater. Let me know if you have any opinions and/or info. Thanks.

I have been fishing Possum Kingdom at night for the last 4 years. ALL of my night fishing is around some form of lighting around docks. In years past the green lights were unheard of. We fished street lights, flood lights, regular outdoor lights that were hanging on docks and had a blast. I do know this---as the water cools off and then gets cold you will catch less sand bass and catch more stripers. When the water gets into the upper 40's to low 50's, you will catch a ton of stripers and a few black bass. Each year has been different. The shallow water lights were the active lights last year (5-15 feet) for most of the winter month's. As the winter rolled on they started moving back to the south end of the lake and in a little deeper water. I have at least 150 spots (lights) that I like to fish all over the lake. Some are green lights and the others are what I mentioned earlier. My opinion on the green lights are as long as they are in the water they are productive.

Once the water warms back up into the upper 50's or warmer then you start getting the pesky sand bass to bite. I usually stop the night fishing around late Feb. I hope this helps

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12977735 11/27/18 09:23 PM
K
Keystone Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
Spotlights

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Joe Todd] #12978424 11/28/18 04:09 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Joe: I look forward to seeing pics this year of your polar bear fishing. I'm hoping my neighbor from canada will go fish with you. As for me, I cannot imagine how cold that ride out to the lights would be. I bet my fingers would be so frozen I would not be able to tie line.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: PKfishin] #12978564 11/28/18 06:21 PM
J
Joe Todd Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by PKfishin
Joe: I look forward to seeing pics this year of your polar bear fishing. I'm hoping my neighbor from canada will go fish with you. As for me, I cannot imagine how cold that ride out to the lights would be. I bet my fingers would be so frozen I would not be able to tie line.
Hand warmers are the cats meow!!!
I am right handed so I dont wear a glove on that hand but I keep a couple of warmers in my coat pocket. It makes a big difference. I keep a warmer in my glove on my left hand. Im starting to show my age because a few years ago I didnt need that sissy stuff!

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12978659 11/28/18 08:12 PM
S
Skippy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks for the info. Ill start with a light on my dock. Based on the way it works for my neighbor, Im very interested in going around the lake looking for lights but Im nervous about running around the lake at night.

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12978871 11/29/18 12:29 AM
J
Joe Todd Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Skippy
Thanks for the info. I’ll start with a light on my dock. Based on the way it works for my neighbor, I’m very interested in going around the lake looking for lights but I’m nervous about running around the lake at night.

A little bit of advice---run around the lake during the daylight and if you have good electronics then map yourself out a course and use it during the night hours. I have been doing the night runs for so long now it is easy for me. Another bit of advice---start your night runs while there is no wind and a moon. It is easy to see during those conditions. Once you have done it a few times it will get easier. A buddy of mine went with me a lot and he bought himself a boat and went out one night with some friends of his and got turned around and hit a rocky point not realizing where he was and luckily nobody was injured but he tore his boat all to pieces.

Be careful!!!!!

Re: Dock/Fishing Lights [Re: Skippy] #12979204 11/29/18 01:11 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
You will find lights out from sky point and anchor inn. Both of those have launches and easy going around those lights. The yellow one near anchor inn is thumb

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide