Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Choke Canyon [Re: doctorb] #12952811 11/01/18 11:57 PM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: doctorb
Caught that fish on the South Shore. Really of tough day of fishing until I ran into that group of fish. Started the morning out with ice on the boat but it warmed up considerably that day. Fishing solo. Didn't get a bite until around 11 or so. Then I ran into a group of big fish that were staging up getting ready for the spawn. Lost 2 fish that were pulling drag like a freight train under the boat before I caught that big one. Smallest fish I pulled off that spot was 4 pounds. Almost all of them were caught on a crank bait. They wouldn't hardly touch a soft plastic. That group of fish stuck around for 2 weeks on that spot. Side note I also caught a 12 pound bass in June of that same year out there. That fish came off the north shore.

Thank you!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Choke Canyon [Re: Minner Bucket] #12952846 11/02/18 12:31 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Minner Bucket
Caught that fish on the South Shore. Really of tough day of fishing until I ran into that group of fish. Started the morning out with ice on the boat but it warmed up considerably that day. Fishing solo. Didn't get a bite until around 11 or so. Then I ran into a group of big fish that were staging up getting ready for the spawn. Lost 2 fish that were pulling drag like a freight train under the boat before I caught that big one. Smallest fish I pulled off that spot was 4 pounds. Almost all of them were caught on a crank bait. They wouldn't hardly touch a soft plastic. That group of fish stuck around for 2 weeks on that spot. Side note I also caught a 12 pound bass in June of that same year out there. That fish came off the north shore.

Thank you!

The stuff we dream of, a school of lunkers.

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12952904 11/02/18 01:29 AM
S
southtexascracker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Well this one brings back a lot of memories.

I fished that bass champs yall are talking about and watched both fish weighed. Elroy had a similar wiegh time to us and I remember almost falling out of the boat when he lifted his 2 sacks of bass out of the boat while I unloaded our measly 15 lbs (we didnt sniff a check).

Caught my biggest fish, 8-13, on that lake on the creek channel bend a cast distance from the south side of 99 bridge at possum. An hr before my buddy hung a 7.5 on the top of a log, out of the water, in kitchen creek, and we were able to land it. Right then a game warden motors into the creek on a jet ski of all things. After he checked us he ran his ski aground on one of the bars that flanked the creek at the mouth and got stuck. We had a 35 lb stringer that day.

Even though I havent fished there in 5 yrs, I still consider it my home lake. I always did well in club tourneys there during the short time I fished clubs. Even won a few.

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12952915 11/02/18 01:36 AM
S
southtexascracker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Also, Choke always seemed to me, more than any other lake, to be a lake where you needed to know very small, specific, pieces of structure that would hold fish. Small rock piles, humps, channel bends, brush piles, isolated pieces of hydrilla, one tree that held fish over all the others etc. finally by the time Id fished the lake 5 yrs or so I had a bunch of these at diff levels I could run and catch 1-2 fish off each one and string together a good day.

I think this is part of what makes some guys who want to put the TM down and fish a whole shoreline or point or cove think its a tough lake. Putting your time in on that lake makes more of a difference than most.

Last edited by southtexascracker; 11/02/18 01:39 AM.
Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12955312 11/04/18 10:22 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Public Service Announcement: Dont waste your time bass fishing up at 99, no fish up there.

But it sure did look good, maybe next year... or the year after, when theres actually a population of fish.

If you do go, Id recommend not taking inexperienced casters with you. Its pretty much a flipping needle threading type of cover up there.

Do any of you guys know which creek was known as Bo Derek creek? Seems to be a given name, not shown on the maps.

Last edited by grout-scout; 11/05/18 02:23 AM.
Re: Choke Canyon [Re: grout-scout] #12955612 11/05/18 05:14 AM
W
Will.i.am Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Public Service Announcement: Dont waste your time bass fishing up at 99, no fish up there.

But it sure did look good, maybe next year... or the year after, when theres actually a population of fish.

If you do go, Id recommend not taking inexperienced casters with you. Its pretty much a flipping needle threading type of cover up there.

Do any of you guys know which creek was known as Bo Derek creek? Seems to be a given name, not shown on the maps.

Bo Derek is a pretty good ways away from the 99 bridge (north) prolly not enough water to get anywhere near it right now. Ill snap a pick of it on the map for ya tomorrow when I get to my boat.

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12955703 11/05/18 01:28 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Will, thanks. You can just tell me if its past San Miguel or before it, east or west side. cheers

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12955982 11/05/18 05:42 PM
D
doctorb Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Bo Derek creek is up the Frio River arm past the Daughtrey boat ramp on the left hand side. The lake has to be pretty darn full to fish in there. That area was really good a long time ago. I used to wade fish from the Daughtrey parking lot and caught a bunch of really big fish in that area. That was a long time ago though. Duck hunting up in there was world class. That was before anyone knew about it.

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: doctorb] #12956013 11/05/18 06:19 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Bo Derek creek is up the Frio River arm past the Daughtrey boat ramp on the left hand side. The lake has to be pretty darn full to fish in there. That area was really good a long time ago. I used to wade fish from the Daughtrey parking lot and caught a bunch of really big fish in that area. That was a long time ago though. Duck hunting up in there was world class. That was before anyone knew about it.

You "wade fished" in Choke Canyon?! You're braver than I am! Haha.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Choke Canyon [Re: doctorb] #12956029 11/05/18 06:41 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G

thumb

Yesterday as I was fishing the jungle of trees where someplaces you couldnt even think about getting a bait too if you wanted, it dawned on me. Where in the world did all the bass come from when Choke first filled up? A tiny little brush filled river couldnt have been too populated. How many years did it take to get good from the time it filled?

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: bigbass94] #12956033 11/05/18 06:52 PM
D
doctorb Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: bigbass94

You "wade fished" in Choke Canyon?! You're braver than I am! Haha.

Wade fishing is one heck of a way to catch a lot of bass. I just didn't have a boat back then. You can really pick apart the cover way more effectively than in a boat and get to areas that a boat just can't get to. And it's amazing how close you can catch a bass to yourself when wade fishing. Having grown up in SE Texas I really didn't worry about the alligators too much.

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: grout-scout] #12956197 11/05/18 10:43 PM
C
Chad Miller Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C

Yesterday as I was fishing the jungle of trees where someplaces you couldnt even think about getting a bait too if you wanted, it dawned on me. Where in the world did all the bass come from when Choke first filled up? A tiny little brush filled river couldnt have been too populated. How many years did it take to get good from the time it filled? [/quote]

from the earthen tanks in the 3 fingers area that were stocked well in advance of construction of the dam.

www.facebook.com/ashoparoundthecorner
www.facebook.com/gaertnerleasing

Find me on LinkedIn!

My Idol, My Hero, My Dad. 11/3/1944 - 9/12/2014

There are those who love to catch fish, and those who will fish for the chance to catch.
Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12956222 11/05/18 11:28 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
TP&W stocked a lot of ponds in the Choke Canyon basin. At one point, the fish were growing and the lake wasn't and they opened it up for people to come catch the fish out of the ponds.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12968780 11/18/18 12:34 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
I have seen this lake fish tough a few times over the years, this is the hardest Ive seen it. If someone can catch them here now, they need to join bassmasters. Disbelief.... I think Canyon might fish better right now.

[Linked Image]

Re: Choke Canyon [Re: spacejunkie] #12968830 11/18/18 01:29 AM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Mike have you fished out deeper yet or have you just been up in the jungle? I havent been since all the new water but Ive been thinking if I go, I wouldnt touch the new stuff, they have to be way too spread out in that stuff. Maybe they are grouped up off shore somewhere, idk...

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide