Page 1 of 2 1 2
Venice Guides -- short days? #12964167 11/13/18 01:55 PM
P
Pete Robbins Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
In 2014 a friend and I traveled to Venice to fish for redfish with a well-known lodge. We did really well on the big bulls, but we were disappointed that the guide came in promptly at 2:30 every afternoon. We’re used to fishing all day and we could have stayed at home if we wanted to spend nearly an entire afternoon on the couch watching football.

I wanted my wife to catch her first redfish, so this year we shopped for another outfitter. There was one that was highly recommended by multiple friends and we were told that they fished “all day.” We booked two days with them.

On Saturday, our guide got us out around 6:30. The wind was blowing 30mph, the marsh was drained, and the action was slow. That’s fishing – nothing he can do about that. What surprised me, though, was that around noon he started to comment on boats coming in. At 1:09, he said “Let’s go to the house.” I asked, “Really?” and he did not reply, just motored to the ramp. We were back at the camp by 1:30, which left 5 hours to kill until dinner.

The next day that guide had duck hunting clients, so they switched us to a different guide. As we sat waiting for him to arrive, we talked to the head guide about our disappointment from Saturday. “Well,” he said. “From 6:30 to 1:30, that’s 7 hours, a pretty standard day.” I guess if that’s what’s expected, and it’s the norm down there, maybe we shouldn’t have been shocked?

Our Day Two guide worked much harder (despite winds that were still strong) and kept us out until 3. Still a short day by my standards, but much better.

Am I wrong to be disappointed? Have I been spoiled by guides elsewhere who will fish daylight to dark if you want?

I’m disinclined to go back to Venice, spending all that time and a not-insubstantial amount of money. Even if the fishing is great, I want to stay out while they’re biting. Does anyone know a guide down there who stays out longer or am I asking for something that doesn't exist?

Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #12964238 11/13/18 02:58 PM
J-2 Online Content
"Hotblack Desiato"
Online Content
"Hotblack Desiato"
I was surprised by that as well. It is pretty standard to end your day around 12:30 - 1pm. We fished with a 38 man group and all were back at the lodge by 1pm. Most of the time your limited out by then so I think they have just gotten accustomed to it. I will say this...one of our groups braved the wind (well the guide did) and they stayed out until almost 3pm catching Bulls. Part of that was one of the guys in the boat was a long time customer and known to tip very well. They ended up with 11 bulls.

As to your original question, I was paired with David Miles and he did an awesome job for us. We had a limit (3 man group) and each of us had a big bull. He didn't leave until we caught our limit. His boat is clean, his equipment is top notch and he works his tail off. He was born and raised in Venice and knows those waters inside and out. PM me if you want his number.

Good luck

Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #12964358 11/13/18 04:23 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Depends on the guide, there are some that are ready to get back as you stated, some running two trips so they need to get back, yet plenty of others that are like us that will fish all day. Granted starting at 630 and ending at 230 is the 8 hour industry standard for summer and fall. Now that we're into 'Winter' some guys will start 7 or 8 and fish all day. You have to research your outfitters ahead of time and get good recommendations. You can also talk to the outfitter ahead of time and come to an agreement.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #12967970 11/16/18 11:04 PM
M
Mo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
A full day with most Guides is 8 hours, and priced as such. If you want a 10-12 hour trip, make this known when you book the trip so there
are no misunderstandings .

With all a Captain does before and after the trip , a 12 hour trip makes for a short night.

good luck

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #12968408 11/17/18 02:38 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Venice guides are the most expensive in the country. We paid around $900 for a guide and $250 additional for a follow boat (inshore). I can't remember what time it was, but before noon, the guide took off while we were on fish and ditched us. I've heard of $100 for a follow boat, but when you are paying $250, the SOB should be paying attention and making sure the follow boat is still there. The guide we had was also a total dud. We tried to spark conversation with him at the dock before we left and he hardly said a word.

Can't say I'm impressed with the guide situation down there.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #12968673 11/17/18 10:35 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Saltwater guide usually is 2pm or so at the latest. Pretty much the norm anywhere I have fished in the country. I fished with a number of bass guides over the years where I quit before they did.

Venice inshore guides are over priced. Somehow they can keep getting it. We take our own boats when we go there. We usually go after the trout. The redfishing can be kind of boring when you get into them and there is one on every cast.

The whole "we limited" thing on redfish there drives me crazy. If you get on the right spot that's five casts per person in the boat. It's as good as it gets for redfishing. They should always go for trout too if they get a early limit of redfish. Some do but a lot get away with just catching the redfish. It's like in south Texas where 5 trout is a limit. That can be 10 minutes.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 11/17/18 10:56 PM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #13040021 01/24/19 01:23 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Having been on both sides of this equation as a full-time guide and a client I would like to offer some friendly advice.

If you hire a guide over the phone without thoroughly questioning him before your trip it is on you. It is all about setting expectations before you book them. I have been to Venice no less than 13 times over the years and fished with numerous guides down there. A couple were duds as you described but I was a guest on the trip, having no involvement in the details of booking the trip.

It is 26 miles from Venice Marina to SW Pass near the mouth of the Miss. That's about a 40 min boat ride normally. If you wanted to fish until 5 or 7 pm you should have made that known to the guide before you showed up. Yes, it will cost you a couple hundred dollars more but at least you know what to expect.

The last six or seven trips I have been down we have a system worked out with our guide. We show up about 1 pm at Venice Marina and hit the river. We fish relatively close by that afternoon until 30 mins before dark. That gives us time to get back to the marina safely.

The next morning we meet our guide at 6 am and run downriver to SW Pass or somewhere near the mouth. We fish our way back to the marina but allow enough time for the guide to clean a few smaller reds and cook for us. That is a LONG day and we normally finish dinner around 9 pm.

The next morning we meet at 6 or 6:30 am and fish close by again until 11 or noon. We head back, shower up and drive back to NOLA for our flight.

Please do not take this the wrong way. I am not trying to come across as some know-it-all but you guys need to understand it is all about setting the expectations upfront. Venice is more expensive to book a guide than most places but the redfish fishing is off the charts if you get the right guide. Feel free to send me a PM and I will give you the name of the guide I use. He is a native of Boothville/Venice and knows that river like the palm of his hand.

Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #13040447 01/24/19 03:30 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Our trip was until 2pm. The guide ditched the follow boat at noon. That's a BS move when you paid $250 to have a follow boat ... and we still tipped him.

Yes, our mistake was going out with a guide we didn't know. I also learned that you don't need a guide to catch redfish in Venice.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #13041188 01/25/19 03:16 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
You guys got a raw deal no doubt JP. I would not have tipped the guy a penny and I’m always the first to argue for the guide. And I agree you don’t need a boat to catch redfish in Venice however, for the cost of my share of a trip with four guys it is worth it to me to not have to drag a boat and mess with all the associated trouble.

Put a pencil to the added expense of dragging a Boat and using your own Tackle. I’m not sure you would be saving as much money as you might think.

Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #13041670 01/25/19 05:33 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
My plan is to stay at Port Eads next time we go and mix redfish with offshore. If you fish 5 days, I'm sure it's less expensive to tow your own boat, plus it doesn't make sense to own the type of boats you need for inshore and offshore and not bring them with you ... and, I have a lot more fun finding my own fish than I do with a guide. I love trying to figure out a new place. I like the research you do a month before going and I like finding areas I identified on a map at home when I am on the water, especially when they pan out and produce fish.

Don't get me wrong, guides can offer some excellent education and if you only have a few days, a guide may be the best way to go.

[Linked Image]
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #13041759 01/25/19 06:50 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Five days?!! eeks

I’m lucky to get 5 hours to go fishing!

Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Ken A.] #13041895 01/25/19 08:53 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Five days?!! eeks

You may need to slow down and enjoy yourself.

laugh

[Linked Image]
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13041943 01/25/19 09:53 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Five days?!! eeks

You may need to slow down and enjoy yourself.

laugh

That may not happen for a while.

Long Story..... ugh

Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: Pete Robbins] #13043222 01/27/19 08:46 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Gotta love South Louisiana! Great fishing, food, and people. But yea, we end up quitting early and not by choice down there. It forces me to quit fishing and go do some things in New Orleans that my wife enjoys so it works out.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Venice Guides -- short days? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13045258 01/29/19 01:39 PM
C
Calmday Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Venice guides are the most expensive in the country. We paid around $900 for a guide and $250 additional for a follow boat (inshore).

Wow $900 for a redfish trip is absurd. That's two trips in Texas.

A.R.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide