Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12966105 11/15/18 01:42 AM
lanfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I'm on my 3rd Triton my first one was the 196 which was a walking machine if you didn't know how to drive it. Here is what I was told when learning to drive them. Drive it up to when it first starts to tip and dont trim up until you get the feel for it there the. Just one bumb on the trim till you get it there..so on and so on.. the main thing is watch your trolling motor. You will see it start to dip one way or the other when it's about to start the walk. When you see it start to dip just lightly turn the wheel against it. It will come back and when it dips lean into it again. After a while you will be turning the wheel and wont even realize your doing it.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12966135 11/15/18 02:00 AM
G
G Rod Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Here is a tuturial on setting up and driving a high performance hull. You should find your solution in this explaniation. Thanks and credit to Basscat Boats for the info.

"Engine heights should be raised for hole shot and lowered as soon as the nose drops to improve performance. The engine heights are easily managed with the hydraulic Plate. Steering wheel torque running on the top end (full out) should be just tension to the right, not pulling hard right requiring you to hold or hang onto the wheel. The Gen1 Case is a good efficient case and allows you to manage the torque and gauge it easily. If your having to use your left forearm to hold or pull excessively, your too high on the plate. To stat run it way down, all the on the bottom, till you pick up the handling and seat time.

The height is easy, though overtrimming is the task at hand more so as you will want to play too much with that side, and that is more tapping in VERY short bursts. You have to allow the hull to develop performance which is why the description of driving your Bass Cat with trim and not the throttle comes out in conversation. As the nose drops over, tap the trim up in fast bursts to free the hull, quit when you just free the hull allowing easier bow control with the steering. Now start tapping the trim, tap run a 1/4 mile, tap it again, another 1/4 mile or so, tap it again and keep that process.

Torque is slippage and you want this controlled and lowered to manage prop rotation, which is always pulling the engine right.

Continue taps on the trim slowly till you have no torque and wheel control, holding slightly left. The nose will point just a little bit left, crabbing slightly left when running hard and pushing the envelope. That is propeller rotation compensation in the set up. Since the prop rotates right, the holding it slightly left should be no challenge.

Adjustments to the steering wheel are very slight once you have learned and have the plate and trim adjusted properly for your weight loads. It will require such a slight input from your left hand, held at 10:00 to 10:30 on the wheel, that you barely move the wheel. Movement is extremely soft for straight line operation as long as you dont overtrim.

The fatty portion inside of the heeled your hand, behind the little finger and ring finger, is extremely sensitive and should feel the movement as the propeller slips slightly and the motor mounts compensate. That is when the slight pressure is felt. You will eventually learn to adjust the trim and pressure to keep that bow just slightly, 1 to 2, left of center.

Its all about keeping the engine low, torque manageable and trim to a low enough level you can drive, with your skill set. Driving anything requires a different skill set than jumping in the same vehicle every day. "
BCB

I will also add that a bent, damaged or high pitched prop can make driving and tuning the prop height nearly impossible.

Good luck..

2016 Basscat Cougar FTD, 250 Mercury
www.bcfw.org Bass Club of Fort Worth
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12966145 11/15/18 02:08 AM
kevine80 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
had a triton - mine was the same way ---great boat but was a handful to drive but you will get used to it - i have a skeeter now -you can drive it while eating a donut with a very full cup of coffee

Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: G Rod] #12966163 11/15/18 02:24 AM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: G Rod
Here is a tuturial on setting up and driving a high performance hull. You should find your solution in this explaniation. Thanks and credit to Basscat Boats for the info.

"Engine heights should be raised for hole shot and lowered as soon as the nose drops to improve performance. The engine heights are easily managed with the hydraulic Plate. Steering wheel torque running on the top end (full out) should be just tension to the right, not pulling hard right requiring you to hold or hang onto the wheel. The Gen1 Case is a good efficient case and allows you to manage the torque and gauge it easily. If your having to use your left forearm to hold or pull excessively, your too high on the plate. To stat run it way down, all the on the bottom, till you pick up the handling and seat time.

The height is easy, though overtrimming is the task at hand more so as you will want to play too much with that side, and that is more tapping in VERY short bursts. You have to allow the hull to develop performance which is why the description of driving your Bass Cat with trim and not the throttle comes out in conversation. As the nose drops over, tap the trim up in fast bursts to free the hull, quit when you just free the hull allowing easier bow control with the steering. Now start tapping the trim, tap run a 1/4 mile, tap it again, another 1/4 mile or so, tap it again and keep that process.

Torque is slippage and you want this controlled and lowered to manage prop rotation, which is always pulling the engine right.

Continue taps on the trim slowly till you have no torque and wheel control, holding slightly left. The nose will point just a little bit left, crabbing slightly left when running hard and pushing the envelope. That is propeller rotation compensation in the set up. Since the prop rotates right, the holding it slightly left should be no challenge.

Adjustments to the steering wheel are very slight once you have learned and have the plate and trim adjusted properly for your weight loads. It will require such a slight input from your left hand, held at 10:00 to 10:30 on the wheel, that you barely move the wheel. Movement is extremely soft for straight line operation as long as you dont overtrim.

The fatty portion inside of the heeled your hand, behind the little finger and ring finger, is extremely sensitive and should feel the movement as the propeller slips slightly and the motor mounts compensate. That is when the slight pressure is felt. You will eventually learn to adjust the trim and pressure to keep that bow just slightly, 1 to 2, left of center.

Its all about keeping the engine low, torque manageable and trim to a low enough level you can drive, with your skill set. Driving anything requires a different skill set than jumping in the same vehicle every day. "
BCB

I will also add that a bent, damaged or high pitched prop can make driving and tuning the prop height nearly impossible.

Good luck..

Engine low on a bass cat may be fine but not on an HP Triton, they like the engine high, most of them run best 2 1/2 inches prop to pad, I am assuming you mean engine heighth when you say keeping the engine low.

[Linked Image]
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: kevine80] #12966188 11/15/18 02:46 AM
Caymas Cx 21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kevine80
had a triton - mine was the same way ---great boat but was a handful to drive but you will get used to it - i have a skeeter now -you can drive it while eating a donut with a very full cup of coffee

I can do the same thing in my Triton and set my coffee in the cup holder and wave to you as I drive by. bolt

Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: Okie Poke] #12966195 11/15/18 02:52 AM
Caymas Cx 21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
What a beating. I will never own a Triton.

Frank, do you even fish? No way you could as much time as you spend bashing Cowboys.

That surprises me. I thought Tritons were heavy hulls. My buddy owns a 20X2 2008 model and that sucker will fly and also cut through some of the nastiest wakes on the water. It seems very heavy. I would take the advice of some on here and get somebody that knows those boats to go out with ya. GL!

The X2 models up to the XS and TRX models are heavier and ride great, especially in rough water. The HP hull the op is talking about is lighter and faster, Spike Stoker is running 75-78 depending on the load but you have to drive it. Great boats, fish well, lots of storage and fast, wish I had kept the one I had.

Last edited by 21xs Elite; 11/15/18 02:52 AM.
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: Happykamper] #12966221 11/15/18 03:16 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I have owned 8 Tritons and have a 2017 21TRX with a 300XS on it right now, it will run 80 plus, it drives like it is on tracks, the only one I had that gave me fits was the first one, a 1998 TR21, I did not know how to handle a high performance rig coming out of a Ranger, I think 90 % of the problem is the set up, if that engine is too low in the water it will be a bear to drive, my son has my 2012 HP, it is just like your boat, no problem driving that rig, we run a worked 26 Tempest in the cool months and drop to a 25 when hot, the engine prop shaft sets about 2 1/2 - 3 inches below pad depending on load. I had a 2008 20 XHP with a 250, it would run 81 gps, could drive it with one hand, I think it was the best boat Triton ever built. If that thing is squirrely at 60 I will bet a beer the engine is set way too low.

This guy should know.

Engine height, prop selection, motor mounts, steering play, and a few other things all play a role in how a boat handles at high speed.

I've only owned 3 Tritons but I drove Allisons & Bullets before them so learning the Triton was pretty easy for me. I am happy to help you with your boat. I have taught a bunch of folks how to drive their boats. Had a couple guys swear to me their motor was mounted crooked and their boat was undrivable at 60+. Turns out it was old motor mounts, sloppy steering, wrong prop or a combo of them all.

You do own one of the faster Triton hulls ever made but it is manageable if you want to take the time & effort to learn how to do so. Even once you get it set up right, it will still require Driver Input. All true hi-perf boats do.

I'm down in your area once a month. As a matter of fact I just drove through Temple on my way home from Austin about 3 hours ago. I'll be back through in a couple weeks.

Shoot me a PM if you want me to help. Going out in the boat with someone that can show you what to do when the boat starts oscillating on the pad will greatly shorten your learning curve.

Last edited by Ken A.; 11/15/18 03:22 AM.

Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: kevine80] #12966234 11/15/18 03:23 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kevine80

Maybe Im just lazy but thats how I prefer to roll! Those HP bulls are fast for sure! Lots of great info here to help ya out!

Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: Ken A.] #12966236 11/15/18 03:25 AM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I have owned 8 Tritons and have a 2017 21TRX with a 300XS on it right now, it will run 80 plus, it drives like it is on tracks, the only one I had that gave me fits was the first one, a 1998 TR21, I did not know how to handle a high performance rig coming out of a Ranger, I think 90 % of the problem is the set up, if that engine is too low in the water it will be a bear to drive, my son has my 2012 HP, it is just like your boat, no problem driving that rig, we run a worked 26 Tempest in the cool months and drop to a 25 when hot, the engine prop shaft sets about 2 1/2 - 3 inches below pad depending on load. I had a 2008 20 XHP with a 250, it would run 81 gps, could drive it with one hand, I think it was the best boat Triton ever built. If that thing is squirrely at 60 I will bet a beer the engine is set way too low.

This guy should know.

Engine height, prop selection, motor mounts, steering play, and a few other things all play a role in how a boat handles at high speed.

I've only owned 3 Tritons but I drove Allisons & Bullets before them so learning the Triton was pretty easy for me. I am happy to help you with your boat. I have taught a bunch of folks how to drive their boats. Had a couple guys swear to me their motor was mounted crooked and their boat was undrivable at 60+. Turns out it was old motor mounts, sloppy steering, wrong prop or a combo of them all.

You do own one of the faster Triton hulls ever made but it is manageable if you want to take the time & effort to learn how to do so. Even once you get it set up right, it will still require Driver Input. All true hi-perf boats do.

I'm down in your area once a month. As a matter of fact I just drove through Temple on my way home from Austin about 3 hours ago. I'll be back through in a couple weeks.

Shoot me a PM if you want me to help. Going out in the boat with someone that can show you what to do when the boat starts oscillating on the pad will greatly shorten your learning curve.

Great offer Ken, and you have forgot more than what I know about driving a high performance boat. thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12966265 11/15/18 03:56 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Get you a 97 model TR21 w/ a 225 efi. Add second set of butterflies to the intake, 300PM heads, solid motor mounts, drill two more 2 holes in the intake portion of the cowling, cut the exhaust liner out, add nose cone with low water pickups and set propshaft to 1/4 above pad. Find a 28 Yamaha HP semi-cleaver prop and send it off to Tillmans to cup it to 30. When you learn to hang it out to the rev limiter @ 90mph then you can go back to your HP hull and be able to drive it with 2 fingers.

Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: Happykamper] #12966276 11/15/18 04:10 AM
G
G Rod Offline
Angler
Angler
G
HappyKamper, I think BCB meant to start with the jack plate high for hole shot and run it down to the pre-determined height for max speed. Engine trim process was the portion I thought the OP could benefit from.

2016 Basscat Cougar FTD, 250 Mercury
www.bcfw.org Bass Club of Fort Worth
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: G Rod] #12966359 11/15/18 12:10 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
[quote=G Rod]HappyKamper, I think BCB meant to start with the jack plate high for hole shot and run it down to the pre-determined height for max speed. Engine trim process was the portion I thought the OP could benefit from.

thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: Ken A.] #12966495 11/15/18 03:05 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

This guy should know.

What an awesome offer!

Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: COWBOYSFAN008] #12966539 11/15/18 03:46 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I've owned quite a few Triton TRs, both 21 and 22. My 21HP is a different animal. It is the one the pros wish Triton still made. You do have to drive it, but it is fast. I've been around hot boats my whole life so driving a Triton is second nature to me. What Happykamper said is true. The first thing to look at on a chine walking boat is engine height. When the prop is too far down in the water, it tries to lift the boat, but it lifts it out of the water and it falls down on a chine. When you get the height set, just start bumping the trim up til it becomes uncomfortable. Keep a steady pressure on the steering wheel to the right. When you feel it starting to walk, lightly pull it to the right. It should pull it out of the walk. As you get the feel of this, you can bump the trim up, and keep using this maneuver till you can trim it to its optimum. It can be over trimmed. With a 26p you'll be running 75 before you know it.

Last edited by furim2; 11/15/18 03:54 PM.
Re: Triton 21HP Chine Problem [Re: furim2] #12966602 11/15/18 04:53 PM
D
daddystog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: furim2
I've owned quite a few Triton TRs, both 21 and 22. My 21HP is a different animal. It is the one the pros wish Triton still made. You do have to drive it, but it is fast. I've been around hot boats my whole life so driving a Triton is second nature to me. What Happykamper said is true. The first thing to look at on a chine walking boat is engine height. When the prop is too far down in the water, it tries to lift the boat, but it lifts it out of the water and it falls down on a chine. When you get the height set, just start bumping the trim up til it becomes uncomfortable. Keep a steady pressure on the steering wheel to the right. When you feel it starting to walk, lightly pull it to the right. It should pull it out of the walk. As you get the feel of this, you can bump the trim up, and keep using this maneuver till you can trim it to its optimum. It can be over trimmed. With a 26p you'll be running 75 before you know it.

I had a 2006 21HP and this always worked for me , just a little steady pressure to the right on the wheel and if you feel her try to drop in turn to the right a little more, it's a feel thing
get the hang of it and she's a 73 MPH sweet ride

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide