T
Todd™ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa
Originally Posted By: Todd™

This sealed system thing shows you don't know what you're talking about. Only sealed system I know that is service free are bearings.

Your brakes, engine, cooling system, hydralic power steering, transmission, front differential, and rear differential are all sealed system. All require maintenance.

or don't do it so my wife can get her a new yukon

Which is it? Sealed or not sealed?

Not sealed they are all vented. When they get hot air and fluid inside expands and pushes air out. When they cool everything contracts pulling outside air, moisture, dust, dirt, whatever is on the vent in. They don't need to be serviced as often as the oil because they are not dealing with blow-by carbon and unburnt fuel from he cylinders etc. but they do have a finite life span.

Im not big on servicing the differentials but its probably not a bad idea, the transmission is different. Diferential have gears and bearings and that's about it, transmissions have extensive valve bodies clutch packs seals etc and degraded fluid will affect their function.

I know I'm actually messing around by the stated "sealed" and "closed loop" systems. Not confused on what a sealed system is. AC systems are completely sealed system but we service it too. The only "sealed" mechanical part I can think of that does not require maintenance are most of the bearings now days.

Power steering and brake fluids get hurt by outside contaminates more than other fluids and is most of the reasons for servicing them. I'm not saying this isn't an issue with other fluids but it's only part of the reason for needing service. Transmissions, engines, and differentials are exposed as you said but they should be changed for way more reasons than just that.

As you said blow-by and fuel is why we change our engine oil but will add there is metal in that oil too. Automatic transmissions have clutch material on steel plates riding against other steel plates, clutch material on bands that rub and wear on steel, and they have steel gears moving against each other steel gears. The front if 4x4 and rear differentials also have moving steel parts rubbing against other steel parts so that's the main reasons why we change those fluids. Yes where you live is a factor but also how you drive.

I'm not trying to argue your point and agree with you. Trying to argue his off point that even if it was completely "sealed" as he thinks and didn't get contaminated by outside influence, that it still needs to be done.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12937696 10/18/18 05:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
You can even grease many of the "sealed" front wheel bearings by squirting greese in through the abs sensor port... it is rumored to make them last a lot longer.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: redchevy] #12938004 10/18/18 10:02 PM
T
Todd™ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
You can even grease many of the "sealed" front wheel bearings by squirting greese in through the abs sensor port... it is rumored to make them last a lot longer.

It's not a recommended maintenance. roflmao probably because it still has sealed bearings inside the housing and the manufacture likes a nice clean gap between the sensor and reluctor ring for it to work correctly all the time every time. We avoid shade tree fixes because peoples lives are at risk. Sealed bearings have been around a long time and for the most part work great as is.

I'm not sure how you would know if it last longer or not. My truck with sealed bearings (external sensor and reluctor) has had one side replaced at 250k and the other side is original with 330k. I might have tapped a curve once, turned hard right more often, or it just got worn out first. No science behind rumors. There is science behind why we change our fluids.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12938175 10/19/18 12:35 AM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Had it all changed today and found out I already have a transmission cooler on the trk. Shows ya how much I look at the radiator. Did have both hoses replaced and new fluid put in today....another GOOD fuel filter too. Just got back in town from La. A dear person had a Massive stroke.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: redchevy] #12941565 10/22/18 01:25 PM
S
Samsonsworld Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S

I remember when cars had grease zerks. Every time I changed oil, I greased everything.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: Todd™] #12941816 10/22/18 04:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R

It's not a recommended maintenance. roflmao probably because it still has sealed bearings inside the housing and the manufacture likes a nice clean gap between the sensor and reluctor ring for it to work correctly all the time every time. We avoid shade tree fixes because peoples lives are at risk. Sealed bearings have been around a long time and for the most part work great as is.

I'm not sure how you would know if it last longer or not. My truck with sealed bearings (external sensor and reluctor) has had one side replaced at 250k and the other side is original with 330k. I might have tapped a curve once, turned hard right more often, or it just got worn out first. No science behind rumors. There is science behind why we change our fluids.

Far as I know they are still not sealed. If you pull the wheel speed sensor out you can see down in there to grease. Sounds like you have had good luck with them and that's great. Many go out much sooner even before 100k miles. I much preferred the serviceable bearings they had in the 90's and before.

Have put both fronts on one of our d maxes at a little over 100k. Put one on our other at 250k the other is original. Ive never added grease to mine but ive talked to people I trust who grease theirs and have better luck.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12948460 10/29/18 12:09 AM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
When everthing is CVT all of this will become irrelevant over time.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide