texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,878
Posts13,954,690
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's #12912372 09/26/18 12:52 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Every Tuesday night in October, the Dallas Fly Fishers will be offering fly tying lessons at the Allen Cabela's.

Multiple DFF members will be available and we'll each be tying different patterns. The patterns will range from beginning to advanced. You can pick which pattern you want to tie.

We'll get started about 5:30 to 6:00 and we'll tie closing. Bring your vise and tools if you have them, or we'll have some available for you to use. Every session is free, you just need to show up. Materials will be provided.

We'll be in the Allen Cabela's meeting room near the cash registers.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's [Re: RexW] #12919852 10/02/18 01:17 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
This starts tonight. I don't know each night's schedule, but we usually have people teaching from beginning level to advanced level fly patterns. These sessions are appropriate for all skill levels of fly tiers. I think there are 6 or 7 instructors planning to attend tonight. At least one of us should be tying something that will interest you. smile

So, whether you've never tied a fly or just want to learn something new, you're invited to come join the Dallas Fly Fishers at the Allen Cabela's tonight for some fly tying.

I plan to be there tonight and I plan to tie some simpler patterns that catch fish, including "Dale's Psychedelic Spider" pattern. If there is interest, I'd like to tie some intermediate level streamer patterns during the future weeks.

Come join us!

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's [Re: RexW] #12920742 10/03/18 02:33 AM
F
fshng84 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: RexW
This starts tonight. I don't know each night's schedule, but we usually have people teaching from beginning level to advanced level fly patterns. These sessions are appropriate for all skill levels of fly tiers. I think there are 6 or 7 instructors planning to attend tonight. At least one of us should be tying something that will interest you. smile

So, whether you've never tied a fly or just want to learn something new, you're invited to come join the Dallas Fly Fishers at the Allen Cabela's tonight for some fly tying.

I plan to be there tonight and I plan to tie some simpler patterns that catch fish, including "Dale's Psychedelic Spider" pattern. If there is interest, I'd like to tie some intermediate level streamer patterns during the future weeks.

Come join us!

Made it out there this evening; learned some new tips and techniques! Thanks for the post!
...at Cabelas in Allen.

Re: Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's [Re: RexW] #12920764 10/03/18 02:43 AM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Couldn't make it this evening but hope to make it to one of the remaining nights.

Re: Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's [Re: RexW] #12923428 10/05/18 02:05 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Fishing84, thanks for joining us. I did not realize that you were there, I hope you had fun.

We had some very talented tyer's teaching this week. I'm not sure what everyone else was tying, but I know had at least one expert with dry flies and some folks that tie a wide range of patterns. I'm not sure how I got seat with this group, but I plan to come back anyway. smile

I tied three patterns last Tuesday, a foam spider, a multi-color Brassie nymph, and an ant pattern. All of these patterns catch fish and they each involved different tying techniques. Next Tuesday, I plan to continue with the "fish catching" fly pattern theme and I'll post the specific patterns later this weekend. If I have the right materials on hand, I plan to tie one of my favorite bass flies.

Come join us next Tuesday, everyone is welcome!

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's [Re: RexW] #12925837 10/07/18 09:13 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
I don't know what everyone else plans to tie Tuesday, but this week, I plan to tie a variation of Blanton's "Flash Tail Whistler" and a variation of the "Near Deere" that Carey Thorn has made famous. If these patterns don't interest you, we'll have 4 or 5 other folks available tying different patterns.

Dan Blanton created the "Flash Tail Whistler" as a Striper fly. It works on Texoma, but other patterns work better. However, this version is a killer large mouth bass fly on the lake.

OK, I don't have clue what Carey's version of the "Near Deere" actually looks like. You'll need to go fishing with him if you want see one. The version I plan to tie is the pattern that we were fishing successfully at Beaver's Bend before Carey perfected it and named it. All I know is that this is a very effective pattern for both trout and bluegill. This fly just plain catches fish and is really easy to tie. We'll be tying two versions, with hackle and without. I'm not convinced that the hackle is needed, but other people disagree with me, so, let's just tie both versions. smile

Whistler (size 2):

Near Deere (more or less):

The other version of a Near Deere (both are 1/80 oz on size 10 hooks):

Come join us Tuesday and tie some flies. laugh

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's [Re: RexW] #12926019 10/08/18 12:08 AM
F
fshng84 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Fishing84, thanks for joining us. I did not realize that you were there, I hope you had fun.

We had some very talented tyer's teaching this week. I'm not sure what everyone else was tying, but I know had at least one expert with dry flies and some folks that tie a wide range of patterns. I'm not sure how I got seat with this group, but I plan to come back anyway. smile

I tied three patterns last Tuesday, a foam spider, a multi-color Brassie nymph, and an ant pattern. All of these patterns catch fish and they each involved different tying techniques. Next Tuesday, I plan to continue with the "fish catching" fly pattern theme and I'll post the specific patterns later this weekend. If I have the right materials on hand, I plan to tie one of my favorite bass flies.

Had a great time; hope to make it again; this Tuesday is tough... day job has me on the road but returning in the evening. If able, will stop by for another round of lessons!

Re: Tying Lessons Tues Nights Allen Cabela's [Re: fshng84] #12930066 10/11/18 02:01 AM
F
fshng84 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: fshng84

Had a great time; hope to make it again; this Tuesday is tough... day job has me on the road but returning in the evening. If able, will stop by for another round of lessons!

Great time yesterday learning more fly tying patterns and tips from the Dallas Fly Fishers. Shout out to RexW and Team... Thanks and glad to meet ya'll!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide