Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ulterra vs Ultrex: Pros & Cons?? [Re: 9094] #12873528 08/23/18 12:01 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 9094
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: El_Rey
This has been a good discussion. I'm upgrading from a 2000 Minn Kota Maxxum 74#, so anything will be an improvement. It's good to hear that folks fish shallow water near stumps with no problems cuz I fish a good mix of water.

2000 Skeeter Zx202 w/225 Yamaha VMax

Get ready to patch some holes if you're replacing a Maxxum with a Ulterra. A Ultrex will mount using the same holes as the Maxxum. I've had a Ultrex for close to a year with no problems and the stow and deploy is not a problem with the lift assist. I've only used the remote to program the trolling motor after I installed it. The foot pedal on the Ultrex is magic as are the other features. As they say, it's a " game changer".

Not if you use the MK 47 plate. Use the old holes on the bottom plate. Mount the motor to the top. I think Blue Nitros plate might be the same.

Or you could paint a 1x4 the same color of the boat and mount the trolling to that. rolleyes
Not a good look improvising to cover some holes.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ulterra vs Ultrex: Pros & Cons?? [Re: El_Rey] #12873555 08/23/18 12:24 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
It's 2 holes, Just fill them and then mount a pad before mounting the trolling motor to the boat. If you don't like that option then you just use the sliding bracket which uses the original holes. I hear people talk about the Ulterra and terrovas having poor mounts but when was the last time you heard of someone breaking the mount? I never have. I could have chosen the Ultrex or the Ulterra and I went with the Ulterra and haven't regretted it one time.

I fish solo 90% of the time. For that reason alone you could never make me give up the Ulterra. I launch it by myself while sitting int he truck and pick myself up at the dock. When it is extremely windy and I am close to rocks or docks, I simply sit down crank the big motor and once I am ready click the stow button and drive away. When I see structure on my screen, I hit the deploy button and start steering my boat into position while still watching the structure on my console screen. Get too shallow, push a button to trim the motor up. Get too windy out deep, push a button to trim motor deeper.

If you like using a foot control the the Ultrex is for you. If you are like me and despise foot controls then the Ulterra might be for you. Either one is a good choice and either one fishes just fine in a bass boat regardless of stumps etc. You have to remember many of the people complain about steering, accuracy of spotlock , etc. use old equipment at one time and can't wrap their heads around the fact that thing s have changed and been upgraded since then.

Re: Ulterra vs Ultrex: Pros & Cons?? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12873565 08/23/18 12:35 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: 9094
Originally Posted By: El_Rey
This has been a good discussion. I'm upgrading from a 2000 Minn Kota Maxxum 74#, so anything will be an improvement. It's good to hear that folks fish shallow water near stumps with no problems cuz I fish a good mix of water.

2000 Skeeter Zx202 w/225 Yamaha VMax

Get ready to patch some holes if you're replacing a Maxxum with a Ulterra. A Ultrex will mount using the same holes as the Maxxum. I've had a Ultrex for close to a year with no problems and the stow and deploy is not a problem with the lift assist. I've only used the remote to program the trolling motor after I installed it. The foot pedal on the Ultrex is magic as are the other features. As they say, it's a " game changer".

Not if you use the MK 47 plate. Use the old holes on the bottom plate. Mount the motor to the top. I think Blue Nitros plate might be the same.

Or you could paint a 1x4 the same color of the boat and mount the trolling to that. rolleyes
Not a good look improvising to cover some holes.

Have actually owned an Ulterra or Terrova or mounted one? The plate is designed for that it not an improvision. One should not comment on something one doesnt know $hit about.

Last edited by 9094; 08/23/18 12:37 AM.
Re: Ulterra vs Ultrex: Pros & Cons?? [Re: 9094] #12873577 08/23/18 12:49 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Get ready to patch some holes if you're replacing a Maxxum with a Ulterra. A Ultrex will mount using the same holes as the Maxxum. I've had a Ultrex for close to a year with no problems and the stow and deploy is not a problem with the lift assist. I've only used the remote to program the trolling motor after I installed it. The foot pedal on the Ultrex is magic as are the other features. As they say, it's a " game changer". [/quote]

Not if you use the MK 47 plate. Use the old holes on the bottom plate. Mount the motor to the top. I think Blue Nitros plate might be the same. [/quote]9094

Not a good look improvising to cover some holes. [/quote]Gig'em Aggies

Have actually owned an Ulterra or Terrova or mounted one? The plate is designed for that it not an improvision. One should not comment on something one doesnt know $hit about. [/quote]9094
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes sir your highness. flehan

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 08/23/18 02:01 AM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ulterra vs Ultrex: Pros & Cons?? [Re: DBFishing83] #12873640 08/23/18 01:26 AM
J
javelin150 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: flukeman83
Originally Posted By: javelin150
Depends on what kind of boat you are running and how you fish.

If you have something other than a bass boat and fish away from cover (stumps, trees, rocks), you will be fine with an Ulterra and all its benefits.

If its going on a bass boat and you fish shallow, go with thE Ultrex. It has a better mount, lift assist to help reduce the weight of the motor, the exact same ipilot features as the Ulterra and a more responsive steering system.

Whoa there spear chukker >>> not so fast.

in whos opinion is the steering "MORE" responsive ? NOT MINE
Mine Ulterra is on a 21foot Triton BASS boat and all I do is fish shallow.

Yeah the Ulterra is a better alright. Thats why you see them on every FLW/Elite series boat.....yeah right

The Ulterra is a great motor but other than the auto stow/deploy and trim feature, the Ultrex is superior in all other features.

Slam both motors around some stumps and see which mount last longer.

Ever read the instructions on what you have to do if the Ulterra loses power while deployed? Better have a small tool kit handy and be ready to take the mount apart to access the parts needed to stow the motor. Guess what happens if you Ultrex loses power....you pull the handle and stow the motor like normal....

Re: Ulterra vs Ultrex: Pros & Cons?? [Re: javelin150] #12873660 08/23/18 01:39 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: flukeman83
Depends on what kind of boat you are running and how you fish.

If you have something other than a bass boat and fish away from cover (stumps, trees, rocks), you will be fine with an Ulterra and all its benefits.

If its going on a bass boat and you fish shallow, go with thE Ultrex. It has a better mount, lift assist to help reduce the weight of the motor, the exact same ipilot features as the Ulterra and a more responsive steering system.

Whoa there spear chukker >>> not so fast.

in whos opinion is the steering "MORE" responsive ? NOT MINE
Mine Ulterra is on a 21foot Triton BASS boat and all I do is fish shallow.

Yeah the Ulterra is a better alright. Thats why you see them on every FLW/Elite series boat.....yeah right

The Ulterra is a great motor but other than the auto stow/deploy and trim feature, the Ultrex is superior in all other features.

Slam both motors around some stumps and see which mount last longer.

Ever read the instructions on what you have to do if the Ulterra loses power while deployed? Better have a small tool kit handy and be ready to take the mount apart to access the parts needed to stow the motor. Guess what happens if you Ultrex loses power....you pull the handle and stow the motor like normal....

Not saying Ultrex isn't a great motor but enough with the mount comparisons. Who has ever seen a terrova or Ulterra mount break? I haven't ever hear about it but if we were going to get into a slamming contest around stumps I'd suggest scheduling ahead of time for an appointment to have the shaft replaced on the Ultrex. What are these features that the Ultrex is more superior in? One has auto deploy/stow and one has cable steer. Other than that they perform the exact same functions.

Re: Ulterra vs Ultrex: Pros & Cons?? [Re: El_Rey] #12876112 08/25/18 02:19 AM
J
Jobucko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I have seen a number of posts cautioning against using the Ulterra/Terrova if you fish stumps/shallow. Apparently there is a belief that these TMs aren't capable of taking a pounding which is totally untrue. Both are incredibly rugged trolling motors and the mounts are rock solid.

When I upgraded to the Gen2 Ulterra two years ago I sold my 3 year old Terrova to a buddy and helped him install it on his new Tracker 175. Two weeks ago he told me he took a friend fishing and the friend did not actually lock the Terrova in its mount properly. He did not notice it until at 35mph the Terrova self deployed drenching both of them as he quickly stopped the boat. The Terrova was 100% OK, mount and shaft were totally unharmed but it slightly bent/bulged his front deck. If it can take that kind of punishment it can handle any stump field on any lake. Is the Ulterra that tough? I really don't want to find out but I suspect it is since they share most of the same components except for the Ulterra's self deploy/stow mechanism.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide