Print Thread
Any Bowfin in/near DFW? #12816628 07/05/18 12:43 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Been looking around for some time for reliable Bowfin waters, have seen them as an incidental catch in places like Ray Hubbard when fishing for bass/catfish but would like to know whereabouts I could hook one at least somewhat consistently. Any tips would certainly help, AFAIK they're a bit rarer here than they are in the Red, Sabine, and San Jacinto Rivers but still present.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12821835 07/09/18 09:07 PM
S
spazm09 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I have only caught the accidentally while catfish like you mentioned. That on Ray Hubbard. Have never heard of anyone catching them consistently.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12822005 07/09/18 11:26 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
We have them all over the NW cove up above the 2495 bridge on Lake Athens. I have never been out and not seen them rolling up. They are bimodal breathers and surface often. They seem much more casual than other fish species, seem to be totally unconcerned by me in a kayak or canoe. I could reach out and pet them on the dorsal fin.

And, while I think I have hooked them, I have never landed one. The last 3 or so times I have been out, something has grabbed my line, run off with extreme power, then wrap me up in American Lotus stems where they can then break off the hook. It could be catfish . . . I never made visual contact with whatever it is.

Anyway, if you know how to target bowfin, this'd be one target lake! If you decide to give it a go, let me know and I'll send you an aerial and show you exactly where I see them.

Brad

Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12822044 07/09/18 11:55 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Gar and Bowfin are both pretty relaxed by nature it seems. Maybe all those teeth make you a bit less concerned about anything going after you? I've been to Athens, but it's a bit far. If I were to fish it, Bowfin wouldn't be the highest fish on my list but I'll definitely keep it in mind! Thanks!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12822132 07/10/18 01:03 AM
sae Offline
Angler
Angler
45 year,,I have caught 1 or 2 bow fin , gar , 2 or 4 of several species [ acccedental ,when fishing for MYtarget fish
TO target one fish you have to weed thru a lot of bycatch.Good luck on your wish list.

Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: sae] #12822307 07/10/18 02:52 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Thanks, Sae. It's not gonna be an easy task, that's for sure.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12822425 07/10/18 10:35 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
Gar and Bowfin are both pretty relaxed by nature it seems. Maybe all those teeth make you a bit less concerned about anything going after you? I've been to Athens, but it's a bit far. If I were to fish it, Bowfin wouldn't be the highest fish on my list but I'll definitely keep it in mind! Thanks!

I decided to read about what I need to do to actually target Bowfin, looks like one really good option is to use live bait, one article mentioning a bluegill under a bobber works great. The article suggested 30 lbs. braid or larger.

The article went on to describe the nature of the fight, that hooking a bowfin is like snagging the bumper of a fast moving car. It also mentioned the part about Bowfin running down and using objects like roots, etc. to break off the line. It just makes me feel more certain that with all of these incidents, several within the last week alone, that this is likely what is grabbing my line, not catfish.

10 lbs. braid with an 8 lbs. fluoro leader with a wire hook? I'm under-equipped.

I may try to get out this week and if I catch one, I take a pic and publish it.

Brad

Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12822673 07/10/18 02:46 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Looking forward to your post! From what I hear, they're super addicting to catch.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12878764 08/28/18 07:01 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I caught 5 or 6 in one day on Lake Fork this spring. If was super windy and I was up the creeks as far as I could get on the South and West side of the lake to get out of it. I am assuming they were spawning? Anyway, I caught all of them on a light Carolina Rigged lizard (6" watermelon with chartreuse dipped tail). Good luck

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12879991 08/29/18 04:19 AM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I sight fish for bowfin frequently with my fly rod. This won't help you since I'm in Houston, but if you ever make a trip down south before the weather cools, let me know and we can catch them until you're blue in the face.

They aren't really particular in terms of fly selection, I've caught them on wooly buggers, big baitfish imitations, and tiny carp flies. They seem a lot like gar in that if you get something near their face they will instinctively snap at it. However, the hook set is much easier than gar. Also similar to gar they usually don't spook. If you cast too close to a carp all you'll see is a carp shaped mud plume, but a bowfin will sit there wiggling its dorsal fin giving you side eye.

Once hooked, they are very different than gar, and much more like a big bass, they jump and flip at first to shake the hook but tire quickly and are fairly docile when in close. It's a hugely underrated species to fish for, I'm always amazed at how bass have seized the top spot as north america's game fish while carp and bowfin get overlooked.

I'll also add that their coloration is incredible, stealthy and camouflaged on the outside, but with highlights of bright turquoise in their mouth and fins and brilliant reds near the tail. They're a beautiful fish.

Since I'm a long rodder who throws solid colored line, this may not help much, but I will say I never use wire or extra strong tippet, nothing more than typical bass and carp strength and never have an issue with breaking off or fish cutting through line. Although I do check my tippet frequently to be sure it's not abraded.

Re: Any Bowfin in/near DFW? [Re: MassAction] #12879993 08/29/18 04:25 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: ToasterWEyes
I caught 5 or 6 in one day on Lake Fork this spring. If was super windy and I was up the creeks as far as I could get on the South and West side of the lake to get out of it. I am assuming they were spawning? Anyway, I caught all of them on a light Carolina Rigged lizard (6" watermelon with chartreuse dipped tail). Good luck

Thanks! I'll be heading to Fork eventually, so I'll definitely have a rod out for some Bowfin!

Originally Posted By: MassAction
I sight fish for bowfin frequently with my fly rod. This won't help you since I'm in Houston, but if you ever make a trip down south before the weather cools, let me know and we can catch them until you're blue in the face.

They aren't really particular in terms of fly selection, I've caught them on wooly buggers, big baitfish imitations, and tiny carp flies. They seem a lot like gar in that if you get something near their face they will instinctively snap at it. However, the hook set is much easier than gar. Also similar to gar they usually don't spook. If you cast too close to a carp all you'll see is a carp shaped mud plume, but a bowfin will sit there wiggling its dorsal fin giving you side eye.

Once hooked, they are very different than gar, and much more like a big bass, they jump and flip at first to shake the hook but tire quickly and are fairly docile when in close. It's a hugely underrated species to fish for, I'm always amazed at how bass have seized the top spot as north america's game fish while carp and bowfin get overlooked.

I'll also add that their coloration is incredible, stealthy and camouflaged on the outside, but with highlights of bright turquoise in their mouth and fins and brilliant reds near the tail. They're a beautiful fish.

Since I'm a long rodder who throws solid colored line, this may not help much, but I will say I never use wire or extra strong tippet, nothing more than typical bass and carp strength and never have an issue with breaking off or fish cutting through line. Although I do check my tippet frequently to be sure it's not abraded.

+1, it really is hard to believe that bass are the most desired fish here in America. There's so many fish out there that fight better, get bigger, and are much prettier than them! Thanks for the tips, I don't see myself going to Houston but if I do I'll see if I can't remember this post.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide