Ultrex vs xi5 gps #12813009 07/02/18 02:34 AM
L
lundy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
What’s your opinion on each?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ultrex vs xi5 gps [Re: lundy] #12813023 07/02/18 02:40 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Both are good but you can't compare them against each other. The Ultrex is a cable steer unit with all the features that come with spot lock. The Xi5 is more comparable to the Terrova. If you like and want foot control, the only real choice is Ultrex. If you want electronic control with an electric foot pedal also then Xi5 or Terrova. Then you'd probably take into consideration what brand of fish finders you use.

Last edited by Bobby Milam; 07/02/18 02:41 AM.
Re: Ultrex vs xi5 gps [Re: lundy] #12813024 07/02/18 02:40 AM
Clark3 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I’ll bet someone 100$ the outcome is 5:1 in favor of ultrex. For a reason

Last edited by Clark3; 07/02/18 02:41 AM.

[Linked Image]
My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813132 07/02/18 04:36 AM
Paul - Lake Fork Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Been running a Xi5 48 in /24v on a 21 ft Legend now for 13 months now, having a assortment of Bass Boats for around 30 years now with all kinds of equipment this is hands down the best piece of equipment I have owned. This style of trolling motor has changed my complete thinking and attitude about fishing. My motor preforms as advertised, I pull up to my spot press a buttom a we don't move and so quiet it's unreal. Then moving from spot to spot effortlessly, do have a pedal but have yet to use it.

The remote after a few hours of use becomes to easy, only way easier would be to think about where you want to go and it would . Plus I'm using all functions as in auto-pilot, pre-corded trails, and moving to way-points and when I arrive it defaults to spot lock. She works best with a brisk wind when spot-lock is set she doesn't move more than 2 ft of where it was when locked in. Currently I still have the factory batteries in the remote.

My Lowrance HDS's both the Gen2 up front and the Gen3 @ console are also both command centers I can run the boat w/o remote, by using my menu in my Lowrance it's tied in by using the NMEA 2000 system by way of the gateway connector. By touching a waypoint or creating a cursor it will prompt me on the HDS to Goto when I accept 1-touch the Auto-pilot engages ..TO EASY..then again by default it will set Anchor mode when I arrive.

In my opinion there is no quieter trolling motor period, currently on my trips I spend over 75% of the time @ the console or on the back deck. For me I can't imagine a better process in it's abilities. And I was concerned about using a 24v since I have always opted for the 36v so I went with the recommendation of some friends to go with a 24v
btw thanks Wendall Moon & Chuck @ Service Marine. It preforms flawlessly and deployment and getting TM back up way too easy.

As you notice unlike some I don't bash the other TM because I don't own one. Having heard the remarkable things on the Ultrex I will bet it's a wonderful unit as well because of the new technologies. To me it is a question of what electronics you use or prefer., rule of thumb Lowrance for Xi5 and Hummingbird for Ultrex. As for me I do not use the foot pedal at all, even in the stump fields in the dark of the night do use a small handheld spotlight to navigate though. At this point in time I see no use for shallow water anchors(PP/Talons) because of the accuracy and the stealth (quiet) while in use and my customer when on back deck have full range to Fish. So many compliments from 100% percent of Giant Bass Hunters that fish with me on the boat not 90+% ..100% and all comment on having a full rear deck to fish.

Price $2500+(Ultrex) vs $1200+(XI5) if I new the functions and the quiet use of the XI5 as I do now prior to purchase I would have dished out whatever they wanted $2000..$3000..$4000 seriously I use this unit like no other. The Xi5 like you have heard the cliche it Changed my Life, well it truly has. Because there were times when I had a traditional TM I was dreding to have to go out to a degree..Not now I am ready to go each and everytime with a smile on my face I might add.

If words have been misspelled or incomplete sentences I will blame it on fishing 4 night in a row this week from sun down to sun up. I'm surprised that I have the energy to sit down and type this. Once again the Xi5 left me energy to do this, and to function everyday after a trip..BTW I Guide 100% at night and early morning while still dark, I can make it the whole night becuase of the functions and ease of use on the XI5.

Sorry guys for the long read guys but these spot lock trolling motors are beyond impressive., and anyone who discredits the XI5 is probably because they never owned one.

This is simply my 2cents from a guy who fishes 4+ times a week in less than optimum conditions with others that depend on him..and trust me I could go on. This trolling motor is a game changer, so I shared it with you. Once you own one of these types of trolling motors you will understand. If you are going to buy one of these two trolling motors and you are already equipped with HDS and prefer Lowrance, and you step on the boat with me a spend 5-10 minutes with me with the XI5 ..you will buy one no dought. Just my honest opinion. Will save over a thousand $1000 in the process.

Please feel free to call me with any questions on XI5 or Lowrance linked XI5 uses. Also if you decide to come on a Giant Bass Hunt with me and own a XI5 I believe I can drasticly advance you on your ease of use in less than a hour.

MotorGuide XI5 has done more than expected for me, and I would not hesitate recommending to my friends. The Ultrex may be better I just don't know enough because I have not worked with one of them to give a opinion.

In order to catch Big Fish..Sometimes you gotta Suffer.

Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813154 07/02/18 08:57 AM
L
lundy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Thanks for the comments

Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813181 07/02/18 10:49 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Ultrex and Humminbird here. Nuff said.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12813192 07/02/18 11:20 AM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I'm 100% in agreement with you. Xi5 and 2 hds7's networked and love it.
Originally Posted By: Paul Hyland - Lake Fork Guide
Been running a Xi5 48 in /24v on a 21 ft Legend now for 13 months now, having a assortment of Bass Boats for around 30 years now with all kinds of equipment this is hands down the best piece of equipment I have owned. This style of trolling motor has changed my complete thinking and attitude about fishing. My motor preforms as advertised, I pull up to my spot press a buttom a we don't move and so quiet it's unreal. Then moving from spot to spot effortlessly, do have a pedal but have yet to use it.

The remote after a few hours of use becomes to easy, only way easier would be to think about where you want to go and it would . Plus I'm using all functions as in auto-pilot, pre-corded trails, and moving to way-points and when I arrive it defaults to spot lock. She works best with a brisk wind when spot-lock is set she doesn't move more than 2 ft of where it was when locked in. Currently I still have the factory batteries in the remote.

My Lowrance HDS's both the Gen2 up front and the Gen3 @ console are also both command centers I can run the boat w/o remote, by using my menu in my Lowrance it's tied in by using the NMEA 2000 system by way of the gateway connector. By touching a waypoint or creating a cursor it will prompt me on the HDS to Goto when I accept 1-touch the Auto-pilot engages ..TO EASY..then again by default it will set Anchor mode when I arrive.

In my opinion there is no quieter trolling motor period, currently on my trips I spend over 75% of the time @ the console or on the back deck. For me I can't imagine a better process in it's abilities. And I was concerned about using a 24v since I have always opted for the 36v so I went with the recommendation of some friends to go with a 24v
btw thanks Wendall Moon & Chuck @ Service Marine. It preforms flawlessly and deployment and getting TM back up way too easy.

As you notice unlike some I don't bash the other TM because I don't own one. Having heard the remarkable things on the Ultrex I will bet it's a wonderful unit as well because of the new technologies. To me it is a question of what electronics you use or prefer., rule of thumb Lowrance for Xi5 and Hummingbird for Ultrex. As for me I do not use the foot pedal at all, even in the stump fields in the dark of the night do use a small handheld spotlight to navigate though. At this point in time I see no use for shallow water anchors(PP/Talons) because of the accuracy and the stealth (quiet) while in use and my customer when on back deck have full range to Fish. So many complements from 100% percent of Giant Bass Hunters that fish with me on the boat not 90+% ..100% and all comment on having a full rear deck to fish.

Price $2500+(Ultrex) vs $1200+(XI5) if I new the functions and the quiet use of the XI5 as I do now prior to purchase I would have dished out whatever they wanted $2000..$3000..$4000 seriously I use this unit like no other. The Xi5 like you have heard the cliche it Changed my Life, well it truly has. Because there were times when I had a traditional TM I was dreding to have to go out to a degree..Not now I am ready to go each and everytime with a smile on my face I might add.

If words have been misspelled or incomplete sentences I will blame it on fishing 4 night in a row this week from sun down to sun up. I'm surprised that I have the energy to sit down and type this. Once again the Xi5 left me energy to do this, and to function everyday after a trip..BTW I Guide 100% at night and early morning while still dark, I can make it the whole night becuase of the functions and ease of use on the XI5.

Sorry guys for the long read guys but these spot lock trolling motors are beyond impressive., and anyone who discredits the XI5 is probably because they never owned one.

This is simply my 2cents from a guy who fishes 4+ times a week in less than optimum conditions with others that depend on him..and trust me I could go on. This trolling motor is a game changer, so I shared it with you. Once you own one of these types of trolling motors you will understand. If you are going to buy one of these two trolling motors and you are already equipped with HDS and prefer Lowrance, and you step on the boat with me a spend 5-10 minutes with me with the XI5 ..you will buy one no dought. Just my honest opinion. Will save over a thousand $1000 in the process.

Please feel free to call me with any questions on XI5 or Lowrance linked XI5 uses. Also if you decide to come on a Giant Bass Hunt with me and own a XI5 I believe I can drasticly advance you on your ease of use in less than a hour.

MotorGuide XI5 thumb

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813210 07/02/18 11:43 AM
Caymas Cx 21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I've had both,nthe XI5 is a good unit. The only thing I didn't care for was stowing and deploying, I have lower back issues and sometimes it was hard for me. I switched to the Ultrex when they came out and for me it is just a better deal for me all around.

Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813253 07/02/18 12:49 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Opinion? I have had an Ultrex since day one of the release and can't imagine ever going without one now. So I'm biased. I've never owned a motorguide anything.

I'd take an Xi5 if I had to choose a MG.

I CHOSE an Ultrex and have no regrets and obviously would choose one again.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12813345 07/02/18 02:10 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Ultrex and Humminbird here. Nuff said.

+1

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813766 07/02/18 06:59 PM
O
over the hill @PK Offline
Angler
Angler
O
ultrex!!!! a must have in bassing like the man said "enough said"

Butch Farmer
Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813893 07/02/18 08:51 PM
tmd11111 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
MG/Lowrance vs MK/Hummingbird. Outside of that you’re paying about a grand more for the auto deploy.

Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813939 07/02/18 09:17 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Xi5

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: My opinion on the XI5.. [Re: lundy] #12813965 07/02/18 09:47 PM
J