Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,778
Posts13,952,599
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Night Fishing Tips..If you have any help the TFF out. #12803274 06/24/18 01:19 AM
Paul - Lake Fork Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
A lot of topics started lately about Night Fishing and tips for this method of Fishing just thought I would give you my take on the subject..yes I know I probably forgot some important one's sitting here at my computer so be gentle. Also these tips are in no particular order.

Originally Posted By: Rube G.
It also helps to wear dark colors at night, any light that reflect off of your cloths will attract bugs.
Take a some black electrical tape and tape over unwanted lights, like trolling motor, or Talen Etc.... I have also taped about 1/4 of the stearn light to keep it out of your eyes. Peel it off when you get back out to the boat lane.

Good info here tape is a good tip IMO..Newer trolling motor sometimes have those bright lights and those Talon blue lights are super bright. But as small of a thing as taping unwanted lights is is a huge thing when fishing in the dark..trust me.

More Tips:

Most important tip by far for Night Fishing is get everyone back to the ramp safe.

Don't go alone if possible.. I love fishing @ Night, but before fishing alone I will get out my little black book(my phone) and call a friend or a previous client(friend also) and invite them out for a fun fishing trip. If alone please wear your PFD all the time..if with a partner always wear your PFD when running at least.. PLEASE.

Take multiple spotlights I carry 3 on board.. 2 of them the rechargeable 1 at the console and 1 at the bow then 1 Corded for running. It's a good thing to use a spot lights to troll from spot to spot if on Lake Fork or on a lake known for stumps, and your wallet will thank you(TM Repairs). Also a great way to get thrown off the boat.

At Wal-Mart they sell a Bushnell cap light with a red and white choice..it is 60 lumens and is perfect for night fishing and are affordable at less than 10 bucks and are powered by 1 single AAA battery which you will use one a night..cheap. ..the Rigid like cap lights are not needed and actually annoy your partner and probably scare Bass away in the area ( you guys know who you are.. HeHe)..BTW I carry many of these on the boat.. Okay.

Once you commit to a area turn electronics off or better yet put them on stand by or sleep mode. If you turn them on chart only.. your transducer is still under the water doing it's job by sending out signals (ticking noises).

Put lube of some kind on pedestals to eliminate squeaking noises ..drives me nuts..wonder what the Bass think?

Don't put a variety of rods on the deck and keep it tidy on both front and back decks for obvious reasons.

Keep the net in a vertical position on the boat, I like the seating area so you can both grab it easily and know where it is at all times..remember the Bass on the other end of the line just maybe the one of a lifetime. Fumbling around for the net just might be the biggest mistake of night..

My graph is so important:
I spend a lot of time adding info to my Lowrance HDS's: Waypoints ,Boat Lanes/Guide Lanes,Depth, Water Temp,and Personal Trails.

Personal Trails: created during the day can save you in so many ways. But for me and my partner for the night it is so easy to navigate where you thought was going to be impossible. So when fishing during the day make a easy trail to the places you might want to fish at night or in less than optimum weather. My Graph looks like a Road Map and is very helpful to me.

Coolers: keep refreshments in a out of the way spot, preferably in a boat cooler under the deck/seats for once again obvious reasons you know the point I'm driving at..

Make sure your trolling motor is installed tight when loose it can make crazy annoying noises through the water..I have fished with others even with awesome close to new rigs with noisy TM's and it makes no sense to fish productively at night without complete stealth.

Point One Antenna for those who use Lowrance HDS which keeps my heading in REAL TIME and your boat icon pointed the way you are currently heading. Anything that adds to my navigating the lake I am so in. You Hummingbird guys there is a antenna that hopefully does the same thing. It is a great product.

Lake Fork Boat Lanes just want to give a shout out to LANCE VICK and his Life Saving product ..his gathering of coordinates and waypoints converted to trails has help me in so many ways I cannot even imagine going out even in the day w/o Boat Lanes. Personally I have just about a 100% confidence in these trails on my HDS.
Once again thanks Lance Vick

What you really want to know: colors of baits @ night.. this is just me only talking here " I find no difference in darker colors over lighter colors".. Now in saying that my favorite bait is a Blk/Blu Santone Rattling Jig with a Craw type somewhat matching trailer..But my Swimbaits are in a white or natural color and they produce over the dark ones.

Always pack rain gear in the event of a surprise storm or shower I also have a huge umbrella so if I have to beach it or tie up to a dock of some kind we can enjoy not being hammered by rain and it's a good time to visit and eat something..just making the best of it, sounds corny but when it happens and you have a big umbrella you'll thank your Uncle Paul here.

Fuel up I never leave out on a trip without at least 3/4 or more of fuel in the tank. It's just smart not many who can help you in this preventable situation. How embarrassing it would be for me to run out of gas and have to troll all the way back. And all of our wives and the thoughts that go through their minds , not coming home till after breakfast possibly.

If you want to Fish a few far away areas of the Lake just trailer you rig to a closer ramp, especially if the wind is high or could possibly increase or even a chance of storms.

It is okay to use heavy line at night I'm not a Bass, but I don't think it's a big deal at night. It can become a big deal if you break off on a Bass of a Lifetime..again..just sayin.

Don't get discouraged if the bite is slow at 1st..lots of times fast action happens after Midnight...2am - 5 am may be the best Bass Fishing of your life. Not Kidding either!

Knowing that sleep is import , to that I only have one thing to say:

"In Order to Catch Big Bass, Sometimes you Gotta Suffer"

Thanks for the read.

***Get Well Mr. Matt Allen/Tactical Bassin/Bass Guru were all rooting for you ..Here on the TFF***

Wanna see a Huge Bass:http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...am#Post12800214

And By all Means if your partner says get the net reel in as fast as possible and get it. Because one of these could be on the other end!!!

Not The Girl the Fish!!!

In order to catch Big Fish..Sometimes you gotta Suffer.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12803361 06/24/18 02:55 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Excellent tips Paul. Thanks for sharing.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12803377 06/24/18 03:14 AM
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thank you!

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12803731 06/24/18 06:09 PM
lucky55 Offline
Angler
Angler
"It is okay to use heavy line at night I'm not a Bass, but I don't think it's a big deal at night. It can become a big deal if you break off on a Bass of a Lifetime..again..just sayin."

Wish I thought of this yesterday. Hooked into a beast last night, pulled back drag for about 3 seconds after hook set, then pop gone! 17lb fluoro leader on 30lb braid, next time night fishing I am cutting leaders off for sure! mad

2021 SKEETER ZXR-21
Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12803766 06/24/18 06:51 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Good tips for sure Paul. thumb

To Lucky55.. Get rid of that 30# braid and put 50 on with at least a 20# leader, or 25 at night.

Braid has such small diameter there is no good reason to use 30 on a bait caster IMO. 50# braid casts as good as 15# mono and virtually eliminates the chances of breaking off a Giant.

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Ken A.] #12803786 06/24/18 07:21 PM
lucky55 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

To Lucky55.. Get rid of that 30# braid and put 50 on with at least a 20# leader, or 25 at night.

Braid has such small diameter there is no good reason to use 30 on a bait caster IMO. 50# braid casts as good as 15# mono and virtually eliminates the chances of breaking off a Giant.

Thanks. I was thinking 30 was pretty thin.

And awesome tips Paul !

2021 SKEETER ZXR-21
Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12803797 06/24/18 07:35 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
"Lake Fork Boat Lanes just want to give a shout out to LANCE VICK and his Life Saving product ..his gathering of coordinates and waypoints converted to trails has help me in so many ways I cannot even imagine going out even in the day w/o Boat Lanes. Personally I have just about a 100% confidence in these trails on my HDS.
Once again thanks Lance Vick"....Best money ever spent !!

I also just updated my Lakemaster to the new V4.0, and it has all the buoys marked on Fork, nice.

fish

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: lucky55] #12803812 06/24/18 07:54 PM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: lucky55
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Thanks. I was thinking 30 was pretty thin.
And awesome tips Paul !

Personally I use straight 20# Flourocarbon on just about everything I use. Really like Invisx, but the past few years I have grown like Seaguar's Red Label know it's weird but I like it as well..oh my I'm gonna get hammered when I say this kinda like it better. Having 1000 yd spools of both along w/15 Invisx. Still find myself spooling up with the Red Label, I even find myself spooling up less. Hope I don't jinxs myself, but I feel like I can horse the fish with just a little off the drag close to full power..just my 2cents..Andrew Grills gave me the Red Label tip years ago. Saves money is the process as well.

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12803930 06/24/18 10:04 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Makes me teary eyed, reminds me of night fishing with Dennis Canada back in the day

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12805135 06/25/18 09:22 PM
A
AdvTX Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Great write up with good info I've seen first hand. I have night fished with a lot of people, but only a few people a bunch of times. The best thing is when big motor shuts off each person knows exactly where everything goes and what to do without even saying a word. You can make night fishing very relaxing by kicking your feet up and dragging a worm or jig. Keep it simple and enjoy the cooler weather.

The day after catching a lot of fish is still a good day.

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: AdvTX] #12808452 06/28/18 06:13 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: AdvTX
Great write up with good info I've seen first hand. I have night fished with a lot of people, but only a few people a bunch of times. The best thing is when big motor shuts off each person knows exactly where everything goes and what to do without even saying a word. You can make night fishing very relaxing by kicking your feet up and dragging a worm or jig. Keep it simple and enjoy the cooler weather.

Thanks AdvTx (Damon) so glad I met this Guy, he was posting reports and pics of Giant Bass from his night fishing trips on Lake Fork years ago. So I decided to hit him up and invite him to join me for a Giant Bass Hunt, and he accepted my invitation and so glad he did. This guy is a Spoonmaster along with some Jig skipping skills, and makes it so easy on me with all the stuff he handles on the boat...like he said w/o even saying a word. Looking forward to taking out You and your buddy Joe tomorrow night. Got a sack full of Jigs, so guys put on some fresh heavy line.

If any of you Night Fishing Nuts like AdvTx & I.. Please if you have any tips post them here, I know some of you TFF Sticks have some good ones.

Also if any of you TFF Anglers Beginner to Pro have any questions about Fishing on Fork after Dark..feel free to Call or PM me. Hopefully I can help... Always enjoy to talk fishin with one of you guys.

Wanna see a Huge Night time Fork Bass:http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...am#Post12800214

***Get Well Mr. Matt Allen/Tactical Bassin/Bass Guru were all rooting for you ..Here on the TFF***

Re: Night Fishing Tips for the TFF..Long Read [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #12808851 06/28/18 03:34 PM
D
Dabaker421 Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Big square bills, shad color also produce some good ones at night!

10" or 12" mag worm is also another killa!! red bug and blk/blu I think are the better colors.

Keep on keepin' on
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide