Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek #12795287 06/17/18 09:03 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Fished shallow grass, ledges, deep docks, shallow docks, burned a half tank of gas and had 2, 2 pound fish to show for it. Im clueless. Guess we should have just stayed on the bridge and saved the gas! lol Anybody else?

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Champion1] #12795323 06/17/18 09:42 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Struggled badly in a few practice trips. Caught fish but not on a consistent pattern. At least figured out they were on really shallow docks way back in creeks and on oddball stuff between docks. Thats what we decided to hit yesterday. Started really slow and had a couple keepers with a solid one in the mix. We headed way up in a creek where it narrowed up. Commenced to catching a ton of fishflipping really shallow stuff. Finished our limit and culled up a few times. Had the whole area to ourselves.
Moved out of there with about 2hrs left in the day to upgrade. We struggled on anything but really shallow docks. Caught some more and upgraded once. We were getting so many bites that we felt like we would stumble onto some better fish. Lost track of how many we caught so that part was fun. It was a grind and we worked our tails off for 12lbs but had one die on us just before weigh in. Not sure why as the 9j there 4 were super lively....

Crazy thing was there was zero topwater bite yesterday for us. Just felt a step behind all day. Usually with that many bites you hit a couple of solid fish on the head. Kinda described our whole year. We had to grind at every tournament.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Champion1] #12795365 06/17/18 10:10 PM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
Was on some fish in practice but blew my lower unit on the way to our first spot, not a good day for us lol.

Life�s a garden, dig it
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: dillydilly24] #12795410 06/17/18 10:53 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: dillydilly24
Was on some fish in practice but blew my lower unit on the way to our first spot, not a good day for us lol.

I've been in that exact spot before. It does suck

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Champion1] #12795692 06/18/18 03:12 AM
J
jcatch7 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
We found some fish in the back of a creek in practice. We had 7 keepers cranking sk series 3 and dragging a lizard. I swear they were spawning. Three of them had bloody tales.. We fish boat docks and brush piles from 11:00 on. We caught 1 keeper on a retaining wall. I would love to know if someone actually caught a good fish off a dock. I fished 40-50 of them never had a bite.

Did the winners fish offshore?

Jay
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: jcatch7] #12795707 06/18/18 03:38 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted By: jcatch7
We found some fish in the back of a creek in practice. We had 7 keepers cranking sk series 3 and dragging a lizard. I swear they were spawning. Three of them had bloody tales.. We fish boat docks and brush piles from 11:00 on. We caught 1 keeper on a retaining wall. I would love to know if someone actually caught a good fish off a dock. I fished 40-50 of them never had a bite.

Partner pulled 2 off of a shallow dock and ramp combination, one near that same dock on a concrete retaining wall, one in willows.

Our plan was to hit the 2 - 3 shallow spots and a deep dock we found in practice, then go deep searching for bigger fish. That plan started to unravel when we didn't get bit on the dock. We hit one other place we had found together in practice before going into an area I had found previously. That's were we found a magical area where my partner got three of our 5 keepers. We went all day without the 5th fish, until 15 minutes before our check-in time. The final spot was the narrow cut by the pump across the bay from the Log Cabin ramp. I set the hook, said there it is... We threw him in the livewell and came across to check-in. Thought we had a better limit than the scales gave us credit for; 5 for 10.80!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Champion1] #12795801 06/18/18 12:12 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
We fished probably 30 docks and caught one fish off them. We were shocked.

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: jcatch7] #12795814 06/18/18 12:26 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Originally Posted By: jcatch7

The winners definitely fished offshore. So did 2nd and 4th. Not sure where 3rd fished.

We actually had a really good practice and had the potential to have a really good tournament. We started the day on a bad note by drawing boat 190... out of 200 (I think). Still managed to get a spot on the bridge somehow without encroaching on anyone. My partner caught a 3.5 almost immediately. Then I had a good one pull off. Never saw her, but I caught a 7 there in practice that felt similar. Then my partner caught a 4.5. Stayed for another hour without a bite and decided to go run some brush piles after watching the guys who got 4th smack 20 pounds on a point near the bridge. Caught two more smaller keepers and another 3.5 along with quite a few short fish. Unfortunately, our smallest fish ended up dying, so we lost a pound there.

Ended with 15.51 minus a pound. So landed in 23rd with 14.51 and got a check. It was bitter sweet with losing that big fish early and losing $400 and 15th place because of a dead fish. We didnt catch a ton of fish, but had the chance at a good bag. But it was good to finish the year with a check! It was a rough year for us...

Caught all our fish on a neko rig and a 5/8 Finch Nasty Vicktory Jig in Watermelon Jelly.

Last edited by Kevin Bryant; 06/18/18 12:28 PM.

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Champion1] #12795884 06/18/18 01:33 PM
Mike Andrews Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I don't bass fish alot but I am a fairly serious crappie fisherman and dock shooting is one of my favorite ways to catch fish on CC. There are, without a doubt, a ton of good looking docks on the lake but IMHO there are only a few of those that consistently hold fish. I've caught quite a few bass while crappie fishing so I tend to believe that they like the same docks.YMMV.....

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Mike Andrews] #12795951 06/18/18 02:17 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Originally Posted By: Mike Andrews
I don't bass fish alot but I am a fairly serious crappie fisherman and dock shooting is one of my favorite ways to catch fish on CC. There are, without a doubt, a ton of good looking docks on the lake but IMHO there are only a few of those that consistently hold fish. I've caught quite a few bass while crappie fishing so I tend to believe that they like the same docks.YMMV.....

100% agree. We spent hours in practice side scanning looking for docks with brush or some kind of rock/junk under them. With that many docks, you have to find the ones that are unique. Also, docks with a drop under them hold fish.

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Champion1] #12795967 06/18/18 02:26 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
This event capped off our worst season in many years. We have a creek we fish every year that has produced checks for us 4 of the last 5 years. Well it was mudded out for some reason. not sure if the wind blew just wrong or something else happened but it was crazy the difference in it from a week ago. We also had 4-5 boats come and way point our main lake brush pile while we were fishing it. We just laughed like we always do until we left it to go hit something else for a while only to come back and find one of those boats sitting on it. We went back there 3 times and they were still on it. Good times.

In the end, we should have fished the bridge with the other 75 boats. Everyone I know that fished it caught some decent fish including 2 of our group that travel together, one of which who got 12th for $1030 and the other that just couldn't catch a 5th keeper that weighed in 12.35

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Champion1] #12795992 06/18/18 02:42 PM
thefuzz Offline
Angler
Angler
We started off with a bang, hit two nice keepers within 30 minutes cranking. We lost a nice 4-5 on a dock but that was it. Everything else was short or a drum lol.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Chris G] #12795998 06/18/18 02:45 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Chris G
This event capped off our worst season in many years. We have a creek we fish every year that has produced checks for us 4 of the last 5 years. Well it was mudded out for some reason. not sure if the wind blew just wrong or something else happened but it was crazy the difference in it from a week ago. We also had 4-5 boats come and way point our main lake brush pile while we were fishing it. We just laughed like we always do until we left it to go hit something else for a while only to come back and find one of those boats sitting on it. We went back there 3 times and they were still on it. Good times.

In the end, we should have fished the bridge with the other 75 boats. Everyone I know that fished it caught some decent fish including 2 of our group that travel together, one of which who got 12th for $1030 and the other that just couldn't catch a 5th keeper that weighed in 12.35

We had one of those funny moments....we were fishing a row of docks when another Champs boat pulled right up on next one we were heading to and commenced to dropping marker buoys and start fishing right out in front of it. They were close enough so we were confused to if they had just cut us off or should we just go fish the dock. They were fishing about 25yds off the end of it but not the dock itself. We laughed and just moved on. Some days it's all you can do to laugh it off.

Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Mark Perry] #12796014 06/18/18 02:55 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

We had one of those funny moments....we were fishing a row of docks when another Champs boat pulled right up on next one we were heading to and commenced to dropping marker buoys and start fishing right out in front of it. They were close enough so we were confused to if they had just cut us off or should we just go fish the dock. They were fishing about 25yds off the end of it but not the dock itself. We laughed and just moved on. Some days it's all you can do to laugh it off.

Yep....just laugh and move on. That's all we did as well and have always done in the past. I fish for fun and enjoyment and nothing else, so there's no reason to get mad at someone else's obvious desperation. In your case, I think it would have been hilarious to just go right over the marker buoys and video them as you went by.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Tales from Basschamps on Cedar Creek [Re: Chris G] #12796021 06/18/18 02:59 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Yep....just laugh and move on. That's all we did as well and have always done in the past. I fish for fun and enjoyment and nothing else, so there's no reason to get mad at someone else's obvious desperation. In your case, I think it would have been hilarious to just go right over the marker buoys and video them as you went by.

It wasn't a big deal. We had only been there a couple of minutes before they did. I agree it's not worth the drama.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide