Forums59
Topics1,037,815
Posts13,934,987
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12789271 06/12/18 04:04 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I just don't fish tournaments in the Summer. It's not because I don't know how to take care of fish. I know how to fizz fish, have live well vents, add G Juice, aerators, everything. I just don't like keeping them in my live well all day long. I'd rather not risk it.

I've seen tournaments down here with lots of dead fish. Now, I'm sure it's not to the extent of Rayburn or those other East Tx lakes, but it still sucks nonetheless. I have a buddy who stays after weigh-in's and fizzes all the fish he can. The lack of fish care in the whole state is astonishing. I would like to see more 3 fish limits and more emphasis on fish care at tournaments.

Last edited by bigbass94; 06/12/18 04:04 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: WackySenko] #12789273 06/12/18 04:06 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: WackySenko

Ehh fair enough I could see the angle of a non tournament guy. And an organization making money off a state resource

I fish a few tournaments, mainly for fun with my son. But I have won some money too. Would like to protect our resources for his and future generations to enjoy as I have.

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12789289 06/12/18 04:20 PM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I think TPWD should just outlaw tournaments completely. Just kidding. However, I think having five fish stringer tournaments anywhere in Texas this time of year is STUPID. 3 fish max and a 2 lb penalty for a dead fish, instead of .50 lb.

Sometimes you've got to protect guys from themselves. I believe alot go into an event with no hopes of winning so they really don't put extra effort into keeping them alive. Rayburn in awesome shape but can't be good to be losing 5-9lbers each week cause of neglect

I Agree. Is it just plain old hard headedness??? Seems the mentality has become "Oh We just GOTTA have these tournaments ,regardless of what it does to the resource". Bottom line money is lost if they don't keep doing it. At least reduce them to 3 fish stringers & 2#dead fish penalty as mentioned earlier. These continued actions don't affect only the tournament anglers. It affects EVERYONE.
I think MOST tournament anglers are VERY supportive of conservation efforts, & would actually welcome better survival rate practices. THAT affects everyone also, positively.

Last edited by Curtbass; 06/12/18 04:32 PM.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12789361 06/12/18 05:09 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I am all for resource protection and taking care of the fish better... what lake has been adversely effected by summertime tournaments? Is someone gonna say Rayburn? Nah that don't work, and its probably the most pressured lake in Texas.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12789395 06/12/18 05:21 PM
wsimpson Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Shouldn't each public body of water be independently managed (state and local) given that many variables affect the resources with the objective being to assist Mother Nature in maintaining a healthy, versus artificial, balance? While catch and release, as a management tool, may benefit one body, it may be detrimental to others. I believe (all theory, no science) that the tournament effects on the overall bass population are negligible but applaud all fish-care efforts for those not legally taken for the table. As a realist, perhaps any questionable fish could/should be fileted and donated to the local food bank?

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: wsimpson] #12789734 06/12/18 08:48 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: wsimpson
Shouldn't each public body of water be independently managed (state and local) given that many variables affect the resources with the objective being to assist Mother Nature in maintaining a healthy, versus artificial, balance? While catch and release, as a management tool, may benefit one body, it may be detrimental to others. I believe (all theory, no science) that the tournament effects on the overall bass population are negligible but applaud all fish-care efforts for those not legally taken for the table. As a realist, perhaps any questionable fish could/should be fileted and donated to the local food bank?

Everything you said is correct. Each fishery is different and should be treated so. Staffing time is limited with the state agencies so the most popular fisheries get most of the research effort, leading to better management plans. The less popular places tend to get general regulations that can protect the population but maybe not maximize its potential.

Upping the penalty for dead fish is a really good thought... I will be considering this for the circuit I manage.

Scott Jones
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: RBO] #12789749 06/12/18 09:02 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: RBO
For all the derby haters....

You do realize that if not for Ray Scott and B.A.S.S., live wells, 5 fish limits, and aeration probably wouldn't exist.

Look at saltwater. They are just now starting to come around to live wells and live release. And that's only in tourneys. For the most part, if you catch and release keeper trout, flounder or reds, folks look at you like you have 3 heads.

For non tournament fishermen about the only thing in the list that would matter is the 5 fish limit and I wouldn't even care about that one because I don't keep any.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Bobby Milam] #12789771 06/12/18 09:19 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Originally Posted By: RBO
For all the derby haters....

You do realize that if not for Ray Scott and B.A.S.S., live wells, 5 fish limits, and aeration probably wouldn't exist.

Look at saltwater. They are just now starting to come around to live wells and live release. And that's only in tourneys. For the most part, if you catch and release keeper trout, flounder or reds, folks look at you like you have 3 heads.

For non tournament fishermen about the only thing in the list that would matter is the 5 fish limit and I wouldn't even care about that one because I don't keep any.

How about rods, reels, baits, line, hooks, tungsten weights, the list goes on and on. If you believe that the drive and innovation would be the same for companies without "tournament fishermen" then you are lying to yourself...
And yes, I know, you could still catch fish without all that "fancy" stuff but you could also fish out of a wooden boat and use a paddle.......but you don't. Let's be real here..

The infighting between tourney guys and non-tourney guys will be the end of us all if we insist on taking sides.

Last edited by Txduckhunter; 06/12/18 09:22 PM.
Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Clark3] #12789835 06/12/18 10:14 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted By: Clark3
I know It sucks to see, but to put it in perspective 40 years ago 100% of the fish caught in a tourney died. Weve came a long way

Yeah, that is true but what was out tech capabilities 40 years ago? And were there the same number of tournaments, tournament fishermen?

Your argument premise is not well thought out. The bottom line is there is much more pressure on the resource. And we are not doing as well as can be done considering our technology and knowledge levels?

No, not even close.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12789841 06/12/18 10:21 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
They should just weigh filets. That would end this argument

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Notaguide] #12789856 06/12/18 10:43 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Notaguide
They should just weigh filets. That would end this argument

Nope, that would still end up with dead fish. But at least not wasted.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12789903 06/12/18 11:24 PM
K
KingChamp202 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I'm sure I'm gonna catch all kinds of hell for posting my comments, but I was in the Lake Livingston Tournament last Saturday. 8 fish died for whatever reason, and i brought all home for some nice filets! 2 were dead so long that i decided to give them to the critters in my backyard, the rest were ok.
The water temps ranged from 87-93, I had 4 fish that were released in great condition because (I) overfill my livewells allday long. Allways have! First fish onboard @ 6:30am, looked just as good @ 3:20pm. I have never understood all the B/S additives and ice unless you are growing a fish tank. Deep fish caught have awhole lot working against them, so weights on fins etc may help, but shallow fish don't need all the B/S that yall think they do. Just give them a fresh flow of water is all it takes. When coming in for weigh in put the livewell on recirc so they don't get shoreline hot water/silt. Been working just fine for me in southeast tx for as long as I have been fishing tournaments. Don't believe go try it this weekend!

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12790027 06/13/18 01:22 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
I know catch and release certainly helps the fish. I try and do everything I can to keep them in good shape. Actually ordered a pure oxygen system today to try out.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: KingChamp202] #12790058 06/13/18 01:49 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: KingChamp202
I'm sure I'm gonna catch all kinds of hell for posting my comments, but I was in the Lake Livingston Tournament last Saturday. 8 fish died for whatever reason, and i brought all home for some nice filets! 2 were dead so long that i decided to give them to the critters in my backyard, the rest were ok.
The water temps ranged from 87-93, I had 4 fish that were released in great condition because (I) overfill my livewells allday long. Allways have! First fish onboard @ 6:30am, looked just as good @ 3:20pm. I have never understood all the B/S additives and ice unless you are growing a fish tank. Deep fish caught have awhole lot working against them, so weights on fins etc may help, but shallow fish don't need all the B/S that yall think they do. Just give them a fresh flow of water is all it takes. When coming in for weigh in put the livewell on recirc so they don't get shoreline hot water/silt. Been working just fine for me in southeast tx for as long as I have been fishing tournaments. Don't believe go try it this weekend!
You had 4 fish that weighed how much? Theres a big difference in 4 swimmers vs 5 big fish. Or even 1 big fish. And for sure if the big fish were caught deep.

Re: Summer Tournaments and Dead Fish [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12790117 06/13/18 02:46 AM
R
redhornet Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Jarret I appreciate you bringing up the issues with the dead fish. I fished the ABA tourney and noticed the dead fish issues in the Weigh in line. The three people ahead of me all had multiple dead fish that were curled with white gills but were called alive by the guy checking the fish. I am sure he was doing this to avoid the high dead fish count that would have showed in the stats. All of my fish were alive and very healthy because for one I have read the tips from the live-well additive Company's and follow them. A couple of the lengthy posts here are the exact instructions to follow to weigh fish alive. 1. use please release me or something similar. 2. I use 1 liter bottles of frozen water added once an hour to keep water cooled. 3. NEVER turn off the aerator or oxygenator. 4. Fiz big deep caught fish. I keep the frozen bottled water in an arctic cooler to keep it frozen. Somtimes no matter what you do a fish will die, mainly if they swallow a big worm or a senko. But you should immediately take that fish out of the live-well and put it on Ice.

Also I find it funny when people argue with you on simple subjects and have no idea how much money you win in tourneys, or that you are one of the people on here that actually knows what they are talking about. So thanks again for a interesting and informative topic.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide