Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,820
Posts13,935,118
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- #12784230 06/07/18 10:38 PM
S
steveiam Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Try them or not, you choose, but I have had success in this past year with these-
I don't expect to not use the tried and true sunfish or mudcats as bait but these are new options-
One is much easier to come by than the other for sure though.
First we went on a Brazos trip below Pk a while back and I brought chicken thighs, been using them for blues and keeping it in the bait rotation.
I just cut what I want for the bait, I don't flavor it with anything anymore, no dead red, no juices, no Kool-Aid.
I've also caught a few flatheads and blues on thighs and drumsticks fishing lake Waxahachie, the flatties were out of the creek feeding the lake.
We caught two flatties (4 to 5lbs) and a channel cat on thighs that trip, my phone went swimming so no pics from that trip , but hey, you know what small flatties and a channel looks like.
The other new bait presented itself this Saturday also at the Brazos during an overnight trip below PK.
This little 12-14 inch snake was crawling around on the bait bucket I had the spoils of the castnet in, and the bucket was very close to me by the bank where I had my tent set up.
I'm not a snake guy so I don't know what kind it is/was.
It's a snake.
I shoo'd it away and it swam back up after a few minutes, my son shoo'd it away with the kayak paddle and swam into some grass/weeds but returned again....so I wacked it with the end of my rod and it went all contortionist on me.
I picked it up with my rod and dispatched it.
I remembered reading about Shane Davies wacking a snake and putting on a hook and catching a pretty big bass, so I thought what the heck?
I had one of my pro angler rods with an abu that I had broke off on a rock or something and hadn't re-rigged yet.
I put on a jig head on that rig and put the snake on, and asked my son to take a couple of pics just in case we caught something on it we would have pics at least.
This trip the "normal" bait worked the most, we caught two other flatties on live perch, and a blue.
But the snake won the big fish pot this weekend.
Sorry for the abundance of old man skin, I don't edit well on the phone.

Last edited by steveiam; 06/07/18 11:39 PM.

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: steveiam] #12784248 06/07/18 10:52 PM
S
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
It had multiple fresh scrapes from the great battle it fought, and its back swimming again so someone else can catch it now-

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: steveiam] #12784576 06/08/18 08:38 AM
rdmac Offline
Angler
Angler
Great catch Steve and awesome post!

God, family, fishing!
22' Bay Stealth CC 200hp Yamaha Saltwater Series
Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: steveiam] #12784683 06/08/18 12:35 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Its just Awesome Steve!!!! Theres not many places out there that will give one the feelin they get when theyre on that place. The fish are just a great bonus!!!!! Its remoteness along with the clear water and wildlife are special... Cool Pics and Nice flattie buddy!!! cheers fish texas

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: steveiam] #12784702 06/08/18 12:45 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Well done Steve! Glad the trip went well!!

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: steveiam] #12784734 06/08/18 01:14 PM
S
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Thanks guys the brazos never disappoints me, even when the fishing is not so good the trip is always good for my soul-
I made my first trip there in 1978 and have had many, many wonderful trips since then with family and friends over the years.
In the last two years Ive been able to take my oldest grandson and its hard to describe the feeling of being able to share this river and this trip with a grandchild-
It has changed very little over these many years-
I havent posted much lately but I wanted to share this trip with you guys here in the catfish section, because of helpful guys here I have been able to do battle with catfish I had never caught before.
Also here is where I learned how Important it was for me to let the bigguns swim again so others have a chance to enjoy these great fish-

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: rdmac] #12784737 06/08/18 01:16 PM
S
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: rdmac
Great catch Steve and awesome post!

Hey Russel!
I hope that knee is healing up fast!
Ill be right behind you soon-

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: OPTIMUS PRIME] #12784740 06/08/18 01:19 PM
S
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
Its just Awesome Steve!!!! Theres not many places out there that will give one the feelin they get when theyre on that place. The fish are just a great bonus!!!!! Its remoteness along with the clear water and wildlife are special... Cool Pics and Nice flattie buddy!!! cheers fish texas

Thanks Rick!
You get it about that trip for sure-
cheers

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: TRH (formerly xpress00)] #12784742 06/08/18 01:20 PM
S
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)
Well done Steve! Glad the trip went well!!

Thanks Trent, hope you are enjoying that new boat!
I know you and Kasen would love this trip-
fish

Last edited by steveiam; 06/08/18 01:23 PM.

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: steveiam] #12785080 06/08/18 06:06 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Awesome!!!

I know the feeling, as I had my daughter with me when I finally caught "Big'Un", a 60+ pound Op (weighed 59 pounds on the meat locker scale, but tail was dragging the bottom, so the guy said it should be 65+, I rounded it to 60#, so nobody could claim I was telling a fish story). Kristina was not quite 4 years old then. I am sure she remembers quite a few stories there on the Trinity River (below TX 21 bridge, and below Coleman's Camp, at what was referred to as "The Park").

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12785116 06/08/18 06:38 PM
S
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Catfish Lynn
Awesome!!!

I know the feeling, as I had my daughter with me when I finally caught "Big'Un", a 60+ pound Op (weighed 59 pounds on the meat locker scale, but tail was dragging the bottom, so the guy said it should be 65+, I rounded it to 60#, so nobody could claim I was telling a fish story). Kristina was not quite 4 years old then. I am sure she remembers quite a few stories there on the Trinity River (below TX 21 bridge, and below Coleman's Camp, at what was referred to as "The Park").

Nice story Lynn, I bet l would enjoy having a cup of coffee with you and just hearing fishing stories, I always have enjoyed the detail you are able to put into somewhat short post -
Thanks for all the info you have passed on over the years here-

Last edited by steveiam; 06/08/18 06:40 PM.

Re: I'll add a couple of baits for flatheads I havent seen here before- [Re: steveiam] #12785157 06/08/18 07:06 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Not a problem. Yes, we all have lots of stories!

Take for instance, right now. I did not need to go out & catch some today. The fish come to me. Boss called about 11:15 AM or thereafter. I was sleeping in late to catch up on Vitamin Zzzz. He gave us all the Friday off with 6 hours pay (as most he figured would already have 40 top 42 in as of Thursday PM). He was also hoping I got some time in fishing with the 3 day weekend. Maybe Sunday morning as the Blues (BC day) shows for the Catfish Calendar. I might talk the son-in-law to going too (middle bridge on TX 21 of Navasota River). Anyway, boss & the grandkids left at 2 AM this morning to Crappie fish at Houston County Lake. He was going to give the catch to another co-worker but could not touch base on the way back down TX 21. So he called & asked if I wanted some. OK, give me 3 minutes to get up to the gate as he was crossing the 3 river bridges about 1.5 miles away. Welcome to Warp 10! He already had the ice chest off the boat & at the gate. So it looks like my adjusted schedule this evening is cleaning (filleting) Crappie, about 20 or so. Looks like they may have had to work for them.

They decided to sleep in some before heading out. I did not ask or get to see how many of the grandkids went with him. I am sure they were all tired & exhausted, as it was already hot. I can't blame them, I know I was dripping sweat at about 9 PM last night after dark, loading two sheets of plywood & some studs for my add-on room for Lifejackets, floating seat cushions & buckets of fishing gear. I use 3.5 & 5 gallon buckets with lids for gear. One is marked "specialty" which uses a sealtite lid, just in case of problems, it should stay afloat & dry, with items such as first aid, wallet & such. You know, things that need to be preserved from those mishaps, for sure. Have a Great Weekend! I gotta get going & get some things done, so I can do a little catfishing (R-n-R) come Sunday early AM.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide