Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: fouzman] #12775546 05/31/18 04:56 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Thanks for that tip, sir! I always drag downhill. Gonna have to try uphill when the fish get spooky thumb

They don't have to be spooky fouze. Bass are just use to chasing bait uphill and feeding in that direction. They think your bait is trying to escape toward shallower water where some cover may be. They will get it quick and you don't have to spend as much time on a deep water spot to find out if they are there or going to bite today. I seem to get more bites quiclyk dragging uphill on the first or second cast. Down hill takes many more than that and usually requires changing baits and rigs. I use as light of a Crig throwing streamline baits that can be cast long distances with the weight pegged so it doesn't slide up the line on the cast. I move it very slowly so the light weight will stay down and climb the slope. Suspended Bass that are out there also like that slow falling light rig as it passes through a school. Many times they will take it before it hits the bottom. Bass that are not feeding just want the thing to GO-AWAY. If it falls fast in 20 to 30 feet, like a Heavy Crig they will just let it pass and not have time to wake-up and react. This is why a weightless Mag Fluke works great on suspended schools of big fish.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12775602 05/31/18 05:39 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
All of you people are liars. When I don't catch fish it isn't because of my sh*tty electronics or gear or that I don't know how to fish well, it is because all of you caught them first and scared them out of biting.

Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it. It helps me to sleep better after a long day of no catching. blush

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Donald Harper] #12775800 05/31/18 08:43 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
They will be there for many, many years until you show someone those spots. Then it will be over quickly as they will take a friend and he will take his friend. Those Super Spots will be depleted and a fish was never removed form the area. This is why a serious Bass fisherman that tournament fishes will not share much information as to where and above all he will make sure he is not followed to his spots, which is one of the most difficult things to do. I use to burn a lots of gas and many times had to leave after making only a couple of cast because someone was in the area.

Pure wisdom.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12775822 05/31/18 09:03 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
"Fishing pressure" is a made up term to make an average angler feel good about not catching fish.

Yes its my favorite excuse right below the wind, weather, lure, line and my boat not being fast enough!

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Donald Harper] #12775825 05/31/18 09:06 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Thanks for that tip, sir! I always drag downhill. Gonna have to try uphill when the fish get spooky thumb

They don't have to be spooky fouze. Bass are just use to chasing bait uphill and feeding in that direction. They think your bait is trying to escape toward shallower water where some cover may be. They will get it quick and you don't have to spend as much time on a deep water spot to find out if they are there or going to bite today. I seem to get more bites quiclyk dragging uphill on the first or second cast. Down hill takes many more than that and usually requires changing baits and rigs. I use as light of a Crig throwing streamline baits that can be cast long distances with the weight pegged so it doesn't slide up the line on the cast. I move it very slowly so the light weight will stay down and climb the slope. Suspended Bass that are out there also like that slow falling light rig as it passes through a school. Many times they will take it before it hits the bottom. Bass that are not feeding just want the thing to GO-AWAY. If it falls fast in 20 to 30 feet, like a Heavy Crig they will just let it pass and not have time to wake-up and react. This is why a weightless Mag Fluke works great on suspended schools of big fish.

Best info your gonna get today! Ill need to try that liter c-rig

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Donald Harper] #12776166 06/01/18 03:11 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
I do a lot of dragging uphill on Humps and deep water ledges. Makes a lot of difference on conditioned fish and will usually fool Mother Nature.

Gary Klein told me the same thing at a seminar one day. Good 411.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12776181 06/01/18 03:22 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Fish NEVER stop eating. They just ain't eating what your forcing on em. That's all. They don't go on diets. They move to where it is easiest to eat. Sometimes it's boat docks(easy pickings)....sometimes is suspended in 20 ft over 40ft(not easy pickings). Boat pressure might move them off the banks where 90% of anglers are comfortable catching them. When the fish move out, "fishing pressure" is the topic of the dock.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. You have obviously never been on a trip when someone was tracking a bass with a transmitter in it. Those fish feed hard for a period of a few hours then they rest for several hours. Boat pressure was not a factor at all.

I do believe that somewhere on the lake there are fish that will bite. Not all fish feed at the same time and not all fish rest at the same time. But they do have periods of rest when they do not feed at all. You can hit them on the nose with a live shiner and they will not bite. Been there and seen it.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Ken A.] #12776350 06/01/18 12:52 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Fish NEVER stop eating. They just ain't eating what your forcing on em. That's all. They don't go on diets. They move to where it is easiest to eat. Sometimes it's boat docks(easy pickings)....sometimes is suspended in 20 ft over 40ft(not easy pickings). Boat pressure might move them off the banks where 90% of anglers are comfortable catching them. When the fish move out, "fishing pressure" is the topic of the dock.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. You have obviously never been on a trip when someone was tracking a bass with a transmitter in it. Those fish feed hard for a period of a few hours then they rest for several hours. Boat pressure was not a factor at all.

I do believe that somewhere on the lake there are fish that will bite. Not all fish feed at the same time and not all fish rest at the same time. But they do have periods of rest when they do not feed at all. You can hit them on the nose with a live shiner and they will not bite. Been there and seen it.

That is what makes us unique , both on and off the water. Lol.

I refuse to admit that "they just ain't biting". I hunt and hunt, till I find ones that will. Mostly, it's not too far from where they were last time. Actively feeding fish are easy...ones that simply don't want to eat will still bite. You just have to get them to do so.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12776363 06/01/18 01:00 PM
H
Hog Jaw Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
H
Do not believe in pressure , must adjust , adjust , adjust .

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: gary purdy] #12776369 06/01/18 01:03 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Only one thing about bass fishing I know for sure, I don`t know Na-da.

been a serious bass fisherman for 60+ years and never have had a conversation with a bass so all I really know is where I caught my last fish...

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12776487 06/01/18 02:49 PM
F
FW_Tom_H Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Here's a good scientific article that addresses this question -at least in small impoundments:
Effect of fishing effort on catch rate and catchability of largemouth bass in small impoundments

[Linked Image]
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully". - George W. Bush
http://www.facebook.com/tpwdifftworth
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: FW_Tom_H] #12776555 06/01/18 03:25 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: FishyMan
Here's a good scientific article that addresses this question -at least in small impoundments:
Effect of fishing effort on catch rate and catchability of largemouth bass in small impoundments

Great article thanks for sharing. Very clear confirmation for what most of us already knew. Catch rates decline with pressure. From the huge amounts of data I've looked at, I can say with a great degree of confidence fishing pressure matters more than any weather phenomena. "I'd rather fish an east wind Wednesday, than a west wind Saturday, any day of the week."

In terms of how often bass feed... Small bass (under 2 lbs) feed as much as 22 hours a day in the summer. Large bass over 7lbs, typically feed 12 hours per day (much of this nocturnally) in the summer. The story can be different in the winter as metabolic rates plummet and it can take 4-5 days for a bass to fully digest a large meal. So in the winter it's quite possible on any given day as much as 80% of a bass population could be digesting and not feeding. In the summer bass are going to feed everyday at some point. According the John Hope's studies, the bigger bass tending to feed in 2 hour windows, with periodic rest. However, they did feed every single day at some point regardless of weather conditions. Big bass don't get big not eating. That said, during the day most of the big bass he studied would suspend off shore and were absolutely impossible to catch. He knew exactly where the fish were from his telemetry trackers and tried throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them and could not coax them to bite while out of their feeding mode.

So what can the anglers do to increase their chances? In my opinion, fishing mid week has far higher catch rates per hour than fishing most lakes on the weekends. Also, no surprise here, but fishing low pressure areas and low pressure time periods can also help. I.e. offshore, night, and early and late low light periods.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12777275 06/02/18 01:37 AM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
They see shad, bluegill,crawfish ect..everyday....they still eat them...

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12777409 06/02/18 03:29 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: FishyMan

That said, during the day most of the big bass he studied would suspend off shore and were absolutely impossible to catch. He knew exactly where the fish were from his telemetry trackers and tried throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them and could not coax them to bite while out of their feeding mode.

Impossible for some us mere mortals. But not for Steez... roflmao

I know John would use live waterdogs, shiners, or whatever he felt he needed to use to get the fish to bite. The second time Dennis Canada caught Missy, she was caught on a live waterdog.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12777445 06/02/18 04:32 AM
J
John Vogt Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I know for a fact that bass either have memories or have the ability to learn. I grew up on a clear water creek with a lot of bass in it. I caught every bass in that creek for miles...multiple times. I had names for all the bass and knew each of their behaviors. The more I caught them the smarter and tougher they became to catch.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide