Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Bass Facts And Myths #12774675 05/31/18 12:00 AM
M
msbcguy Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
I just got done watching a YouTube video posted by BassResource with Bob Lusk as the speaker. The topic of discussion was "Bass Facts and Myths". If I heard him correctly, he states that the average memory of a bass is 15 minutes. I often hear people talking about fishing pressure and how fishing gets tough through the late summer because fish "have seen the all the lures" so it makes it harder to catch them. I fish Ross Barnett which many of you know is a very shallow 33,000 acre man made lake. It fishes extremely small and we have several tournaments that start early spring and go all the way through late fall. I guess I have fallen into that category of people believing that it does get tougher as the season goes on and fish are "conditioned" not to strike because they've seen all the baits. I believe that Bob Lusk has just proven otherwise...IMO.

Thought the video was very informative and really enjoyed listening to what he had to say.

Might have opened a can of worms but wanted to get other opinions...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774680 05/31/18 12:05 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Depends on if you think everything Mr. Lusk says is the gospel. Not saying he us wrong but fish don't always read the books and watch the same Youtube videos we do. If they did then everyone would catch them big every trip out.

I'm sure its great information but just being honest I've never heard of the guy tbat I recall.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774687 05/31/18 12:12 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
"Fishing pressure" is a made up term to make an average angler feel good about not catching fish.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774706 05/31/18 12:27 AM
M
msbcguy Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Lol! He is a fisheries biologist from north of Dallas near Lake Texoma. I just figured some of y'all have heard about him since he lives that way.

I apologize and should have stated in my OP that I do not believe "everything" he stated in the video. Just thought it was interesting.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774822 05/31/18 01:39 AM
F
Fish2222 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Yep....pressure is B.S.
Put the right bait in front of the right fish and it's gonna bite.
The rest is up to us.

"I only catch the ones that bite"
BassCat Sabre
Mercury EFI 175
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774847 05/31/18 01:56 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Pressure absolutely matters. In fact it matters more than anything else. I've seen this with statistical certainty across many data sets. If pressure didn't matter you wouldn't see the pro's with lighter weights on day 3 or 4 90% of the time as compared to day 1.

Now in terms of memory, in my opinion Lusk is wrong. Go find 10 bass on a beds in the spring. Stick each one and time how long it takes you on average. Then go back 1 day later and try and stick those same bass and see how long it takes you. If a person could do this, it would be pretty clear those fish take longer to catch the second time around. It's because they "remember" getting stuck.

I think we as fishermen often do give the fish too much credit, but there is zero doubt in my mind they can become conditioned to anglers, lures, and pressure. This is also extremely clear in the data. The effectiveness of new lures goes down over time on most bodies of water. I'm sure some of the old timers could tell you crazy stories of how effective spinnerbaits used to be as compared to now.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774853 05/31/18 01:59 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I think Pros weights drop because they tend to "fish out" a spot. Most lock on a pattern/area and ride it to death.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12774858 05/31/18 02:04 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I think Pros weights drop because they tend to "fish out" a spot. Most lock on a pattern and ride it to death.

Catch rates are 3-5 times higher per hour on Wednesdays vs, Saturdays Steez. You seem like a good dude. Hope to meet you someday. I'll show you the data and win you over yet!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774864 05/31/18 02:11 AM
T
Taylored Offline
Angler
Angler
T
My 2cents is that pressure matters more than some people think. I fish a lake that I have fished all of my life. It has no traffic this year due to restricted access from the only public ramp being torn out. The fishing is amazing right now. Better than it has ever been. Also look at squaw when it reopened. It was on fire.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12774890 05/31/18 02:23 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Pressure absolutely matters. In fact it matters more than anything else. I've seen this with statistical certainty across many data sets. If pressure didn't matter you wouldn't see the pro's with lighter weights on day 3 or 4 90% of the time as compared to day 1.

Now in terms of memory, in my opinion Lusk is wrong. Go find 10 bass on a beds in the spring. Stick each one and time how long it takes you on average. Then go back 1 day later and try and stick those same bass and see how long it takes you. If a person could do this, it would be pretty clear those fish take longer to catch the second time around. It's because they "remember" getting stuck.

I think we as fishermen often do give the fish too much credit, but there is zero doubt in my mind they can become conditioned to anglers, lures, and pressure. This is also extremely clear in the data. The effectiveness of new lures goes down over time on most bodies of water. I'm sure some of the old timers could tell you crazy stories of how effective spinnerbaits used to be as compared to now.

Having fished Fork since 1986 in all seasons under all conditions I agree with you 100%. When I first started all you needed was a T-rigged black/blue worm. Now you better be prepared to use every lure/technique and electronics available. Even the most experienced guides that fish the lake daily have slow days. Not discounting luck because it can happen but to be consistent you need to understand how to pattern the fish under all types of weather, conditions and pressure. Most of all you need patience, persistence and dedication. Oh, and a little luck. thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774891 05/31/18 02:23 AM
F
formula462 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Fish are smart creatures no doubt. I fish a private body of water for the last ten years. At first it was lights out fishing but it seems year by year it has gotten tougher.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12774902 05/31/18 02:30 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I think Pros weights drop because they tend to "fish out" a spot. Most lock on a pattern and ride it to death.

Catch rates are 3-5 times higher per hour on Wednesdays vs, Saturdays Steez. You seem like a good dude. Hope to meet you someday. I'll show you the data and win you over yet!
I have , and HAVE READ, both of your books. I respect your opinion. I really do. ....and I agree that angling pressure SOMEWHAT effects catch rates. Not a significant amount though. That's my opinion. I can fish a lake for 7 days in a row, in a pre fish/tourney scenario and catch similar weights each day. By adjusting. I know too many others that fall off day by day, for reasons non other than failing to adjust. Simple

I know guys like to theorize on bass....hell I do too. Specially when I'm sitting on the couch. But, truth is, bass really are not as smart as guys would want them to be on those slow days. Pressure is mostly a misguided excuse.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774916 05/31/18 02:35 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Fish NEVER stop eating. They just ain't eating what your forcing on em. That's all. They don't go on diets. They move to where it is easiest to eat. Sometimes it's boat docks(easy pickings)....sometimes is suspended in 20 ft over 40ft(not easy pickings). Boat pressure might move them off the banks where 90% of anglers are comfortable catching them. When the fish move out, "fishing pressure" is the topic of the dock.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12774986 05/31/18 03:28 AM
B
Big Kev Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
While I have not seen the video "yet" I can say being a student of Psychology "not an expert" fishing pressure is a real thing. Just my 2 cents..... Check out Skinner and his rat or Pavlov and his dogs. Heck I have seen a chicken that can play tic tac toe. It is as simple as stimulus and response. Every living creature can be conditioned to respond to a stimulus in a positive or negative way. It is not that the bass are sitting down there looking at a lure and thinking "hmmmm..... that is a lure so I better not eat it". More along the lines of hearing sonar pinging, seeing a line or a hook and associating that with pain. It is a conditioned response to a stimulus and the more it is reinforced the more it takes hold "Mother Fork". Having said that I am sure that with the limited mental capacity of a fish the conditioned response "shying away from a lure" can be reversed fairly simply over time, but it would take time. I would bet if every one decided to not fish Fork for a year then you would see fish catches like never seen before. But hey that is just my opinion, take it for what it is.

Re: Bass Facts And Myths [Re: msbcguy] #12775012 05/31/18 03:52 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
My wifes childhood home in Louisiana had a small pond on it that was pretty shallow and clear. I was amazed at the numbers of 4# fish in it.

The 2nd time I visited her I had a rod and a pack of black worms. I fished them weightless just under the surface and caught nearly every fish I saw and then some. Probably caught 40 fish in a half acre pond.

Next time I visited her I maybe caught 10.

Before you knew it I was lucky to catch 1.

Now if I put a live frog or small snake on the hook they would bite. I could always see the numbers of fish, but they would not bite artificial. I would even cast over the pond dam where they couldnt see me. It didnt matter.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide