Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
I-pilot Link and catfishing #12765242 05/22/18 06:19 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I saved up my pennies and bought me an Ulterra with I-pilot link around 2 months ago. Let me just say this thing is incredible paired with my helix 12 mega. I have only just begun to scratch the surface with what this thing can do. Here is my list of ways Ive used my ulterra so far for catfishing.

#1 Getting bait
Now 9 times out of 10 bait is usually pretty easy to get but on that 10th day is where the i-Pilot link saves my tail. Sometimes when bait is really scattered or in small pockets, quality bait can be hard to get. Throw after throw and 1 or 2 good gizzards here and there. With the ipilot link I can mark a small bait ball on side image and hit go to and ulterra will take me there and spotlock. Throw my net and bang!

#2 Fishing in Current
Went to the mouth of the Trinity and spotlocked up stream from a deeper pocket that was holding fish. Fan cast out the back and bumped my rigs into position. Engaged the clickers and stuck em in the rod holders. kicked back with a cold one and waited. Fish on! I was impressed with how strong the spot lock held in current.

#3 Pulling planer boards
I can scan a large area and pin the structure or specific features I want to drag across. I can then go back and have my ipilot drag me across my pins. Game changer for me.
Saturday I fished a long point in the main lake. I started up close to shore and put the nose of the boat into the wind. Used the copilot feature to pull me along the long point and keep me pointed into the wind. When I would start catching fish I would crank my speed on my ulterra down to where I was practically sitting still but still barely moving keeping me in the bite zone longer.

#4 contour mode
I found a smorgasbord of fish along a windswept shore line. I used the contour mode to pull me along the shoreline crosswind. I normally would have anchored up on these fish but not anymore.

It takes a looooong time to figure all this techno stuff out but once you do it will change the way you fish! texas

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12765373 05/22/18 07:54 PM
P
Poppa P Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Thanks..
Now I want to go out and spend my kids inheritance
Again!

Great info

Dean
Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12765581 05/22/18 09:45 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I am sitting on the front porch watching hummingbirds, and anxiously waiting for the UPS truck to show up with my ultrex with I Pilot link...its supposed to be here today!! cant wait!!....thanks for sharing your tips and experience!!

Last edited by TroyKing; 05/22/18 09:46 PM.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: Poppa P] #12765785 05/23/18 12:23 AM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Poppa P
Thanks..
Now I want to go out and spend my kids inheritance
Again!

Great info

Fishkin b spensive! $$$ loco_2

Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: TroyKing] #12765791 05/23/18 12:27 AM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Your gonna love it Troy thumb

Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12766130 05/23/18 11:33 AM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
Your gonna love it Troy thumb
..what im really hoping for is an easier time in tbe boat with the family...im the one doing all the work and we are usually stepping all over each other and around tackle and equipment.. hopefully this will change the Dynamics and make it more enjoyable for everyone

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12766171 05/23/18 12:27 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Well the auto stow/deploy will defignitly make things a lot easier. Huge time saver! Gonna be a lot safer in the winter when you dont have to teeter totter on the bow to deploy your trolling motor in the rollers.

Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12766302 05/23/18 01:58 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
Well the auto stow/deploy will defignitly make things a lot easier. Huge time saver! Gonna be a lot safer in the winter when you dont have to teeter totter on the bow to deploy your trolling motor in the rollers.
just being able to spot lock while im untangling kids lines, baiting hooks removing fish ect ect....without getting blown across the lake will be awesome!!.

Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12766424 05/23/18 03:21 PM
44 Diesel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Being able to use the cruise control to set manually what speed you want to go regardless of conditions is great. I find myself using navionics maps more. So I can line my boat up on the contour and set the cursor up at 1/4 mile intervals and hit goto button and it will take me directly to the cursor. Whether I want to run along a break or I want to work up and down a slope the goto cursor is a great feature.

Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 44 Diesel] #12766433 05/23/18 03:30 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
Being able to use the cruise control to set manually what speed you want to go regardless of conditions is great. I find myself using navionics maps more. So I can line my boat up on the contour and set the cursor up at 1/4 mile intervals and hit goto button and it will take me directly to the cursor. Whether I want to run along a break or I want to work up and down a slope the goto cursor is a great feature.

Would your unit have to network to do this...i wont have a g2n unit up front for a while.

Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: TroyKing] #12766447 05/23/18 03:42 PM
44 Diesel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TroyKing
Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel

Would your unit have to network to do this...i wont have a g2n unit up front for a while.

Yes, goto cursor is a i pilot link feature. The cruise control can be used without the link setup or regular I pilot

Last edited by 44 Diesel; 05/23/18 03:46 PM.
Re: I-pilot Link and catfishing [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #12766699 05/23/18 06:39 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Great post E.G.!!!!....I love my Ulterra!!!!! but I'been mostly crappie fishin hammer

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide