Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
At my finest #12764516 05/22/18 03:29 AM
KenTx1962 Offline OP
Old Careful Dude
OP Offline
Old Careful Dude
Talking with buddy today about dumbest things I've done on the water, or more specifically most embarrassing. I'll share my two finest first. Growing up in Arkansas Guido was always my idol fishing. At my fitrst Bassmaster tournament back in 94 I realized Guido was in the line to launch behind me. I guess I got a little excited and dumped it in the water. Cranked the big motor and when I put it in reverse i heard this awful metal on metal sound. Guido had just floated off beside me and looks over and says "son I believe that's your transom saver"...totally destroyed the arm, what's worse part of it that was bungee'd to the lower unit stayed connected and I had to get wet to get it off.... My second one was at Rayburn, dumped it in the water and ran up to Buck, dropped the trolling motor, wouldn't work, screwed with it for about 20 minutes, took front panel off to check wiring, finally just lost it and turned the air blue cursing, dog cussing the guys that had serviced the boat earlier in the week and what the &$??9 they had done to screw up my trolling motor. Then i realized there was a boat just behind me, it was Bryan Landers with his teenage daughter in the boat. He suggested maybe they had flipped off the trolling motor breaker....

www.KenSmithfishing.com
Fishing Videos https://bit.ly/3ip0TPz
10% off 6th Sense 6thsensefishing.com/ &
www.WaterLandco.com with code Ken10
Support my channel shopping Tackle Warehouse with this link http://bit.ly/2S4dFY6
Mercury Marine Pro Staff
Seaguar Line http://bit.ly/38QpBDm

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764666 05/22/18 12:00 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
We've all had those days when it's just not going our way. Seems like for me it usually involves the trolling motor or the trailer.
Then other times everything falls into place and you catch that big one and those issues were just small annoyances

thumb

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764704 05/22/18 12:32 PM
T
tricky Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Was in a draw tourney, my non asked if I would like some sunscreen. Was when the spray first came out. Put a real nice coat on my Costa's.

Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764722 05/22/18 12:38 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
I launched my boat in February solo,( water temps around 46-47 degrees ), and for some reason I decided that was a good day to unstrap the bow hook prior to launching. And of course I was the only one at the ramp, at the time.

That was a cold 40 yard swim eeks

#MFGA
Re: At my finest [Re: Douglas J] #12764740 05/22/18 12:51 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Couple of years ago, I decided I was going to start wearing my life jacket while the motor was running. I also decided I would connect the kill switch to the life jacket so I would be Mr. Safety on the water. I fished all day putting my life jacket on and taking it off off each time I started/stopped the motor. I roll up to the dock at the end of the day, go and back my truck down the ramp, jump back in the boat to load it up and my motor wouldn't start. I cranked on that sucker for awhile and knew something was wrong because it always starts in about .5 seconds.

Sure enough, a guy had to ask me of my kill switch was attached. [censored]!!! Felt like an idiot. I've owned boats since 1992 and that was the second time a kill switch got me. The other time it looked like it was attached, but it wasn't pushed all the way in.

Re: At my finest [Re: TwoLakes] #12764750 05/22/18 12:59 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
Couple of years ago, I decided I was going to start wearing my life jacket while the motor was running. I also decided I would connect the kill switch to the life jacket so I would be Mr. Safety on the water. I fished all day putting my life jacket on and taking it off off each time I started/stopped the motor. I roll up to the dock at the end of the day, go and back my truck down the ramp, jump back in the boat to load it up and my motor wouldn't start. I cranked on that sucker for awhile and knew something was wrong because it always starts in about .5 seconds.

Sure enough, a guy had to ask me of my kill switch was attached. [censored]!!! Felt like an idiot. I've owned boats since 1992 and that was the second time a kill switch got me. The other time it looked like it was attached, but it wasn't pushed all the way in.

I did the same at fork one day except I cleaned my battery connections, got jumpers out and put it on trailer using the trolling motor.....

Re: At my finest [Re: TwoLakes] #12764770 05/22/18 01:20 PM
5PounderOnAFrog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: TwoLakes

My dad's friend bought a boat a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to start the first time he tried to take it out. Spent 3 weekends working on it and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I suggested he check the kill switch and sure enough it fired right up lol.

Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764773 05/22/18 01:21 PM
T
texasbassdude Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I did the same thing with the breaker for the trolling motor batteries... except I was a new boat owner and didn't know that they had breakers on the terminals... I was at Amistad and put the boat on the trailer and went to see Jerry the trolling motor guy and he "educated" me.

Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764787 05/22/18 01:29 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Kill switch, has gotten me twice.
Ran one tank out of gas, couldn't get it started back up for over an hour, then realized not only did I have to flip the electrical tank switch but also the manual valve switch.
And then there is the dreaded - forgot to put the plug in. That one has gotten me about 3 times.

Last edited by David Welcher; 05/22/18 01:30 PM.
Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764793 05/22/18 01:31 PM
L
Lil joe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Several years ago I was going crappie fishin on a really cold day, it was about 30 degrees. I went through my routine making sure I put the plug in and everything and put the boat in the water. When I gassed it and tried to get on plane the nose would go up an wouldnt come back down. I tried several times with the same result. I kept thinking, I know I put the plug in I was 100% sure of it. Then I looked down and saw the water in the drain hole in the floor. I dont know why but I thought it would be a good idea but I stripped down to my underwear and jumped in with a plug. I got to feeling around and sure enough I felt the plug in it. I climbed back in and went to the ramp as fast as I could and backed the trailer in and got the boat pulled out. I had put the plug in the livewell drain. I had a lot of years fishin out of the boat and not once had that ever happened. I went home and dried off and changed clothes and went back out and caught a limit of crappie in a couple hours.

Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764834 05/22/18 02:04 PM
T
texasAUtiger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I tried to put the boat on the trailer with the trolling motor deployed. I couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't slide up onto the trailer like always. So I backed up 10 feet and come in with some throttle.

You know how Minn Kota says their shafts are unbreakable? Well, I've give them credit for that. But they sure as heck aren't unbendable!

I finally realized what was going on, but the trolling motor was wedged into the trailer. I had to jump out in knee deep water, lift the bow up to get the bent trolling motor unhooked and deployed and load the boat on the trailer.

Meanwhile, a guy and his wife were just watching from the courtesy dock 30 yards away. At least they weren't laughing. But I was awfully embarrassed.

Ranger z21
Mercury 250 ProXS
Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12764848 05/22/18 02:14 PM
G
greenen Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Had the up fuze block on the trim go out at the ramp and was working with it to manually tilt it up when another fisherman switched out the down block for the up block in front of about 50 people. Lesson learned.

Re: At my finest [Re: Douglas J] #12764859 05/22/18 02:21 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I launched my boat in February solo,( water temps around 46-47 degrees ), and for some reason I decided that was a good day to unstrap the bow hook prior to launching. And of course I was the only one at the ramp, at the time.

That was a cold 40 yard swim eeks

See, if you'd attended WAWI's School of Quick Launch, you'd have known you can't do that unless there's another boat in the water willing to take you there. grin

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: At my finest [Re: texasAUtiger] #12764870 05/22/18 02:29 PM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger
I tried to put the boat on the trailer with the trolling motor deployed. I couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't slide up onto the trailer like always. So I backed up 10 feet and come in with some throttle.

You know how Minn Kota says their shafts are unbreakable? Well, I've give them credit for that. But they sure as heck aren't unbendable!

I finally realized what was going on, but the trolling motor was wedged into the trailer. I had to jump out in knee deep water, lift the bow up to get the bent trolling motor unhooked and deployed and load the boat on the trailer.

Meanwhile, a guy and his wife were just watching from the courtesy dock 30 yards away. At least they weren't laughing. But I was awfully embarrassed.

Putting the boat on the trailer at Otay Lake in San Diego not long after we bought it. I backed the truck down and my partner was driving up to the trailer when I saw the trolling motor still down. I started honking the horn and waving my arm. He cocked his head looking at me like a dog but never slowed up and bent that shaft like a big dog when it hit the trailer. That was ugly...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: At my finest [Re: KenTx1962] #12765036 05/22/18 04:17 PM
rj74955 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Day 3 of a huge 3 day team tournament, we are sitting pretty and just have that feeling today is our day. My partner meets me at my house, loads all his stuff in the boat, hop in the truck and head to the ramp. Talking strategy, feeling like we are brilliant with a 6 pound lead and had been saving fish for 2 days. Make it about 6 miles down the road in pitch dark and I realize my trailer lights aren't working, pull over to check the connection. Before I ever get out of the truck my partner says, "Maybe we should have brought the boat." Followed by, " You know, we have fished pretty well for 2 days but you're doing it wrong now." That was 15 years ago and he never, ever fails to bring it up -every- freakin' -single -time we start heading to the lake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide