Print Thread
Latest on Lake Wood Dam. #12762521 05/20/18 05:03 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
The Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority board is once again coming under criticism for not doing anything tangible on rebuilding the Lake Wood spillgate on the Guadalupe River.

This time the criticism is not coming just from members of the Friends of Lake Wood Association.

This time it is coming from the state of Texas through the Sunset Advisory Commission.

In a recent report, the Sunset Advisory Commission slammed the GBRA for three very important issues that FOLW has been raising for years.

In its findings, the Sunset Advisory Commission faulted the GBRAs aging infrastructure and inadequate asset management, which puts some utility operations at risk. According to the Sunset Advisory Commission, the authority has not implemented a comprehensive asset management process to ensure timely repair of its significant utility assets. Some of the authoritys infrastructure is failing, either in critical condition or beyond repair, and GRBA faces potential service disruptions for its customers. GBRA will need to balance maintenance repair, and replacement of its existing, aging infrastructure with the need for new development throughout the basin. GBRAs communication strategies are not well-coordinated with asset management and operations. The Commission recommended that the GBRA develop and maintain a comprehensive asset management plan and to ensure the management plan and process is linked to the authoritys public messaging and communications.

Weve known this for some time, said FOLW member Joe Solansky. Weve been saying this over and over but the GBRA has not given us the time of day. It is nice that the state of Texas and the Sunset Advisory Commission agrees with us.

A second issue the Sunset Advisory Commission faulted the GBRA for was GBRAs procurement and contracting efforts lack coordination and best practices needed to ensure adequate expertise and best value. According to the Sunset Advisory Commission finding, GBRA does not have fully centralized oversight of procurement and contracting functions to ensure proper development, tracking, and monitoring of contractssome of GBRAs contracting activities do not conform to typical best practices.

The Commission recommended that GRBA take steps to centralized its approach to procurement and contracting, ensure key procurement and management staff receive formal training, and improve contracting activities to ensure consistency and enhance monitoring.

The third criticism said that GBRA should clarify and better manage its relationships with associated nonprofits. Since the GBRA partners with three nonprofits to assist in carrying out GRBAs educational and conservation activities, the Sunset Advisory Commission found it outrageous that Nonprofit staff members are also GBRA employees and report directly to GBRAs general manager as well as their respective boards. This creates a conflict of interest for non-profit staff in balancing their obligations to both GBRA and the non-profit boards.

The Sunset Advisory Commission recommended to consolidate the funds it provides to the Guadalupe-Blanco River Trust and San Antonio Bay Foundation to one organization and clearly define expectations tied to this funding, to create clear boundaries and reporting structures between its staff and associated nonprofits, to evaluate whether the Gorge Preservation Societys narrow mission justifies GRBA support, and evaluate the continuing need for relationships with any non-profits every five years to ensure the nonprofits are achieving shared goals.

Compounding the issues cited by the Sunset Advisory Commission, FOLW members are extremely upset that the GBRA now wants to move its headquarters from Seguin to New Braunfels at a cost of over $6 million dollars.

They have plenty of space where they are now, but they want to spend $6 million to move to New Braunfels but they dont have enough money to repair H-5 (The Lake Wood spillgate), said James Ryan, and FOLW member. Thats ridiculous

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12762714 05/20/18 08:11 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Typical.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12762755 05/20/18 09:01 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
I was told last year by the Park Employees that there was no money available to fix the dam and that the GBRA might not ever fix it! Typical government management! It's a shame. Lake Wood and further up river had some GREAT fishing when the Wood Dam was functional. juggle

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12762876 05/20/18 11:21 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
If it was Lake McQueeney, it would have already been fixed. I saw a proposed maintenance and repair plan that put McQueeney first, then Dunlop, and Lake Wood last. GBRA was planning a 2.4 million dollar rehab to the Lake Wood dam and hydro plant before the dam broke. They moved that money to the up stream dams after the failure.

Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12763077 05/21/18 01:36 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
If it was Lake McQueeney, it would have already been fixed. I saw a proposed maintenance and repair plan that put McQueeney first, then Dunlop, and Lake Wood last. GBRA was planning a 2.4 million dollar rehab to the Lake Wood dam and hydro plant before the dam broke. They moved that money to the up stream dams after the failure.

Yes Sir public tax money for a lake that has no public access. Go Figure! nuts

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12763435 05/21/18 01:18 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Wonder why Mcqueeney get's priority over Lake Wood? Are the people on Wood any different than people on Mcqueeney? Seems to me the GBRA has some questions to answer. If I was living on or near Lake Wood I would be writing my Congress Man or State Rep! soap

Side Note: I have fished Mcqueeney way back when there were several public boat ramps servicing the lake. Once a private developer bought out Hot Shots (Last Public Ramp) the lake basically became a private lake for the ones living on the lake. The HOA/Friends of Lake Mcqueeney have gone all out to make that lake their own! I feel that the HOA and Friends of Lake Mcqueeney should pay for a public boat ramp for Mcqueeney if they want to keep getting public funds to maintain that lake. Just my two cents! soap

Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12763565 05/21/18 02:48 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Mc Queeney = money. And as is the norm, money gets the attention. Lake Wood residents HAVE written and met with every politician in the area. But even the politicians get the same response.....don't have the money to fix it. They have engineered the most expensive repair just so they don't have the money to fix it.

Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12763687 05/21/18 04:29 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I have two friends who live on Lake Mcqueeney. One has a private boat ramp. Any member of the HOA can launch out of their Ski Lodge which is private. The HOA/and Friends of Lake Mcqueeney have complete control over everything that has to do with Lake Mcqueeney. There is one ramp that is in very poor condition up river that allows public use. That ramp is in a subdivision that runs off of FM 725. I think the name is Log Creek. I fish a lot out of a kayak and get to launch at my friends house. Other than a few locals,their guest,and anglers who use the Log Creek ramp,Mcqueeney has very little fishing pressure. During the summer months 95 percent of the boat traffic is Ski Boats. As already stated the Mcqueeney HOA and the Friends of Lake Mcqueeney will due everything in their power to keep that lake private. There are a lot of very,very expensive homes on that lake. Like ChuChu1 said. "Mcqueeney=Money!". If I had to pay taxes to the GBRA I would be wanting answers! hammer

Side Note: Do not be surprised that the ramp on FM 725 will become a private ramp with no public access! hmmm

Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: Laker One] #12763699 05/21/18 04:39 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Laker One
I have two friends who live on Lake Mcqueeney. One has a private boat ramp. Any member of the HOA can launch out of their Ski Lodge which is private. The HOA/and Friends of Lake Mcqueeney have complete control over everything that has to do with Lake Mcqueeney. There is one ramp that is in very poor condition up river that allows public use. That ramp is in a subdivision that runs off of FM 725. I think the name is Log Creek. I fish a lot out of a kayak and get to launch at my friends house. Other than a few locals,their guest,and anglers who use the Log Creek ramp,Mcqueeney has very little fishing pressure. During the summer months 95 percent of the boat traffic is Ski Boats. As already stated the Mcqueeney HOA and the Friends of Lake Mcqueeney will due everything in their power to keep that lake private. There are a lot of very,very expensive homes on that lake. Like ChuChu1 said. "Mcqueeney=Money!". If I had to pay taxes to the GBRA I would be wanting answers! hammer

Side Note: Do not be surprised that the ramp on FM 725 will become a private ramp with no public access! hmmm

Isn't it on a power line right of way?

Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12763730 05/21/18 04:55 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Originally Posted By: Laker One

Isn't it on a power line right of way?

Yes it is! It's also on a gas line easement. I think the property is owned by the Log Creek HOA and they let the public use the ramp. They have a sign asking all that use the ramp to keep the area clean and to pick-up any trash. There is also a sign at the entrance saying "Private Ramp". I can see either the Log Creek HOA,Guadalupe Valley Electric,or the Gas Company closing that ramp to the general public. The reason would be liability issues! Just my two cents. 2cents

Re: Latest on Lake Wood Dam. [Re: ChuChu1] #12763978 05/21/18 07:50 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
May well happen. It would not surprise me.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide