Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sometimes we forget to cast. #12743171 05/04/18 04:26 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
long ago when I was a kid growing up in Louisiana we used to paddle the pi rouge or small 10 foot flat boat from Lynn Dean state park down the canal to a levee system that seperated the caernovan canal and different drainage and pipeline canals. on one side of the levee it was mostly fresh water, we caught huge bass, sac au lait, goggle eyed perch, pickle fish, ect. on the other side of the levee, you could catch bass, sail cats, redfish, drum, speckled trout. this was really a magical place.
our favorite way to fish was with the beetle spins, or H&H spinnerbaits. we would cast out as far as we could, count to 5 and start reeling. we caught alot of fish back there and it was a great way to fish.
over the years fishing in texas, we as humans have a natural inclination to imitate others who are having success. 95 percent of the people ive watched are fished with do almost the exact same thing. pull up to the brush pile, drop a jig straight down and work the jig vertically. move a foot over and do the same exact thing, sometimes, lob the jig out and pendulum swing it back to the boat. sometimes this works but many times it doesnt.
After watching some you tube vids of a guy called "richard gene the fishing machine"
It started taking me back to my roots of fishing. crappie will hit a fast moving jig many times when they wont hit a slow moving jig. many times when fish are scattered around brush, stumps or bridges, your really not fishing effectively just vertical jigging. you cover so much more water casting a jig and retrieving it. If you really think abt it, all fish will hit a moving bait, even lazy old catfish! I think there is more over a sense of control and less chance of hanging up and losing a jig when we fish straight down is a main reason we tend to fish this way. Ive decided to try and break my fishing up and try casting jigs and sometimes using floats to retrieve jigs at specific depths over, around and thru brush and stumps. from a recent trip I did and keyed in on this technique, I believe it made the whole difference between catching fish that day and not catching. the wind was howling and waves rolling in the main lake, not many places to escape it, so I stayed in one area and casted jigs and jig/float rigs and caught fish. casting jigs is nothing new, its just something we tend to shy away from, but it does produce fish all year long! also, reeling in a crappie from 20 yards away is super fun, as opposed to just hoisting them straight into the boat from thumb 6 feet down. try it sometimes. fish

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743193 05/04/18 04:42 PM
Buff2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I normally mark a brush pile, move over 20 yards and cast back across it.
Works for me

Marty Thomas
LOP Crappie fishing guide
https://www.facebook.com/Lake-O-the-Pines-Crappie-Fishing-414011322706312/
lakeothepinescrappiefishing.com
Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743347 05/04/18 06:30 PM
D
DavisGuideService Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I agree, Over the last couple years I've been doing a lot of casting and dragging with some great results. I put my humminbird 360 to use and cast right past the brush or stump and work it right over/through the cover without getting right on top of it. I always use weedless jigs with Mr.Crappie slabalicious bait, that bait gets crushed with this presentation!

Davis Guide Service
www.DavisGuide.com
817-983-8750
James Davis
Lake Whitney- Striper-white bass-Crappie
https://www.facebook.com/Davis-Guide-Service-159521764704170/
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
www.mrcrappie.com
Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743528 05/04/18 09:03 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Just when i found someone to emulate, now your gonna change it all up!! bang

Last edited by TroyKing; 05/04/18 09:04 PM.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743540 05/04/18 09:17 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
roadrunners , ( called pony head or horsehead jigs by some], are great jigs to do this technique as well, because the hook faces upward and is less likely to snag, and the spinner blades can be changed to many different sizes , styles, colors.
Also, MANY jig bodies that you would think have a whole lot of action, dont do squat until you grt them movin pretty good, one of my go to jigs, the " lil fishie' by creme lures is one of them./ I was sampling the action of different jigs in my large aquarium one evening and was surprized at how little action it had until it was moved in a fairly fast manner. try watching exactly how your jig reacts to movements, so u can visualize whats going on underwater while your fishing.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/05/18 12:24 AM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: TroyKing] #12743546 05/04/18 09:23 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: TroyKing
Just when i found someone to emulate, now your gonna change it all up!! bang

if you take a monkey and show him how to peel a banana enough times, he will eventually learn. Good fisherman are the ones who have fished a lifetime and have learned alot , can catch fish, but have closed thier minds to new ideas, because they think they know everything.

A great fisherman, knows alot, catches fish, but ALWAYS keeps an open mind, because he is smart enough to know, that he does not know everything.

Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743598 05/04/18 10:23 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
heres an example of learning new things. for many years ive tied a reverse clinch knot on all of my jigs. I knew though that it was a strong knot, easy to tie,BUT that the jig didnt always sit level once the knot slipped down on the eye a bit. .
I believe it was fishahaulic (Anthony) who posted that a loop knot allows the jig to settle in a level position. I do not like to tie a triple loop knot, but tied a jig on, and tossed it in my aquarium, sure enough, the jig sits level, every time.
OK , now if this slight adaptation helps me to catch 2 more fish per trip, that to me is huge. I still dont enjoy tying the triple loop knot, but I am trying to embrace it, because I know it will help me to catch more fish.
Sometimes we must embrace the things that we dont always like to get results we want.

Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743709 05/04/18 11:58 PM
P
pop r Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
thumb Great read leanin post. That's for sharing. Sometimes we get caught in a rut and forget about other options we have. thumb

Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743774 05/05/18 12:32 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
most of the lakes and areas ive fished this year, the fish have not been concentrated tight to cover or structure at all, very scattered due to mild weather conditions, which always turned me onto a negative mood in the past, due to being so used to pinpoint style fishing, but now it wont really matter, scattered, tight to the brush, who cares, I got something for em! ha woot

Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743851 05/05/18 01:18 AM
O
old76angler Offline
Angler
Angler
O
thumb

Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743878 05/05/18 01:33 AM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Just my two cents. Youre better at this than writing songs.

Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12743899 05/05/18 01:47 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I'll save the casting and float feeshn for when I'm bank fishn....
While i'm in my boat I'm getting on the hot spot and I believe the better fish are going to have the best ambush spot on any pile....
What help me is using jigging poles and not short casting rods while on my boat so although I'm just vertical jigging my boat is not right on top of the pile....

Good boat control and good marker placement are must have's to be good at vertical jigging.... it works a tad bit for mecheers
Casting with a float and jig works great to get me on structure while bank feeshn...

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12744046 05/05/18 04:29 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Thanks for the info. I agree on the loop knot very rarely do I tie a jig on and not use one.

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: Davedave] #12744312 05/05/18 04:07 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Davedave
Just my two cents. Youre better at this than writing songs.

I agree , hey im also an inventor, you know the remote finder button on the reciever for dish net ? thumb yours truly came up with that.

Re: Sometimes we forget to cast. [Re: leanin post] #12745226 05/06/18 05:31 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Good info, was out in the wind in a cove about 4hrs cloudy windy. it was a little slow, got 10 several 14ish+ several came on casting jig around timber.Stuff I had alredy vert. jigged.Yep works,can tell you how many over the years have fllen to white spinnerbait catch'n pickles.Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide