Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Buying First Graph #12741525 05/03/18 04:12 PM
5PounderOnAFrog Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Saving up to buy my first real graph and was wanting to get a few opinions since there are more features/options on these things than I could ever learn about on my own. All I know is I want DI, SI, and Navionics capability. So I'm looking at the $6-800 range which brings up the Elite TI, Hook 2, and Helix.

-pros of the Elite7 TI seem to be that it has the structure scan (idk what that is but I hear people speak highly of it), and WIFI (for waypoint sharing or something like that??? again idk), also a $100 rebate and free C-map insight pro card if bought at Cabelas.

-Pros of the Hook2: $200 less for the 7", or could get the 9" for same price as the Elite/Helix, also $100 rebate at Cabelas. Cons: doesn't have that fancy stuff the Elite TI has.

-Pros of the Helix: supposedly much more user friendly, mega imaging. Cons- Seems to have more bad reviews (but at the same time I see a lot of people who swear by them)

So, if you guys had to pick what would you go with?
Is the structure scan and WIFI something I will regret not getting in the future or would it be worth it to forego the fancy extras on the Elite in exchange for a 9" screen on the Hook... Or does Lowrance totally suck and the Helix is the way to go? Thanks in advance.

Re: Buying First Graph [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12741557 05/03/18 04:29 PM
S
Searsay Offline
Angler
Angler
S
for elite7 vs. hook2 - elite has touch screen - makes it a lot easier to use.

Wifi on elite 7 is used for software updates and downloading logs or waypoints.

Re: Buying First Graph [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12741610 05/03/18 04:51 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
It`s a Chevy & Ford type thing.Depends on your preference & $$.Since you are in an area between $6-$800., I would recommend the Lowrance HDS7 gen3 touch Unit. It`s very easy to use & has everything you are lookin for . Chart plotting w/Gps Mapping,SD card slot
,3DSonar,Structure scan,Side Imaging(si) & Down Imaging (di) technologies $800.00.Plus it can be networked to another larger unit when you decide to upgrade to a larger HDS unit in the future. This way you can have the HDS7 up front @ the troll mtr to zero in on your structure with the DI & the larger HDS on the Console to mark way points/structure before you go to the front unit to zero in. 2cents

Last edited by Fishbonz; 05/03/18 05:08 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Buying First Graph [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12741739 05/03/18 05:59 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If you are in the DFW area, I will be out at Bass Pro - Grapevine working for Lowrance next Friday night and all day Saturday, May 11 & 12. Come out and I can walk you through the units.

Rob Jasper
Re: Buying First Graph [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12741778 05/03/18 06:23 PM
Corey Stanley Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Also, when you do buy one be sure to check out the bundle offer from Navionics on select plotters. If you are looking to buy both this will save you a little cash on the card.
https://www.navionics.com/usa/lp/rebate

Re: Buying First Graph [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12741787 05/03/18 06:28 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
The Helix system is easier to set up. Very user friendly. CHIRP is great, MEGA is incredible. Not familiar with any bad reviews. Humminbird is the only sonar that uses a color bar. The color bar is a visual indicator of all available color for a particular color palette. Without a color bar, you must guess as to what the least and densest colors could be to know if the echo is the softest or hardest possible.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: Buying First Graph [Re: Capt Craig] #12741827 05/03/18 06:52 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
The Helix system is easier to set up. Very user friendly. CHIRP is great, MEGA is incredible. Not familiar with any bad reviews. Humminbird is the only sonar that uses a color bar. The color bar is a visual indicator of all available color for a particular color palette. Without a color bar, you must guess as to what the least and densest colors could be to know if the echo is the softest or hardest possible.
Yes they both have different Palette color selections. Lowrance has 23 color Palettes.14 for 2D Sonar & 9 for Structure Scan Sonar. Chevy vs Ford once again. fish

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Buying First Graph [Re: Fishbonz] #12743249 05/04/18 05:29 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Yes they both have different Palette color selections. Lowrance has 23 color Palettes.14 for 2D Sonar & 9 for Structure Scan Sonar. Chevy vs Ford once again. fish

Yes, except the most important part, the color bar, Lowrance won't create and it is vital to anglers.

Capt. Craig Copeland

Re: Buying First Graph [Re: Capt Craig] #12743355 05/04/18 06:34 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

Yes, except the most important part, the color bar, Lowrance won't create and it is vital to anglers.
If you are referencing the 2D sonar color bar on the right of the screen showing the difference between a soft return & a Hard return I assume you had to either read your manual or it was explained to you what it was there for?The Lowrance manual also explains soft and hard returns and how to achieve either of the two on it`s units but I guess the Lowranc tech`s didn`t feel it was neccessary to take up screen space by including a Color bar. 2cents

Last edited by Fishbonz; 05/05/18 12:52 AM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Buying First Graph [Re: Fishbonz] #12745182 05/06/18 04:21 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I think the color bar is nice to have especially when someone is starting out. It is small and does not really take up much space, I rarely even notice it unless I purposely look at it. Sometimes I may change pallets and the bar is a good reference when I am not viewing the standard Bird colors I am used to seeing.

Re: Buying First Graph [Re: 5PounderOnAFrog] #12745342 05/06/18 07:41 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Actually, I wrote a manual.

Every color palette has a limited number of colors available. The reason the color bar is so important is that without it, you have no idea what the softest and hardest colors are in each scale. I have asked Lowrance to please include it, but they have not as of this time.

With Humminbird, I can tell the softest and hardest returns for every palette based on the bar. With Lowrance and Garmin, the angler has to guess. The color bar is a vital part of the 2D sonar setup for echo interpretation. It is most certainly NOT a waste of screen space. Especially since the most important part of the sonar is the first inch on the right side of the screen.

Capt. Craig Copeland

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide