Page 1 of 2 1 2
Last Week's Fishin' #12739275 05/02/18 06:00 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Haven't made a thread here in a while, but that's 'cause I've been too busy catching! fish
Didn't really have time for a longer session last week so I decided I'd stretch it out with a lot of short ones, and boy was it a blast! All of the fish were caught on corn with an oatmeal and chili method mix, and of course were released to fight another day.

Part 1 - Return to Ray Hubbard
I had so much luck last time at RH, breaking my Smallmouth Buffalo PB by a long shot, so I figured I'd give it another go. Set up in the same area as before, not so much because it was "the spot," but more because the wind was blowing right in my face both times. This was a weird day, as even the carp were biting like buffalo and I had to watch my lines like a hawk so I could set the hook and get myself a fish.

First fish of the day, a healthy dark carp

This is why I made the trip to Ray Hubbard! Another 20+ buff, this one ran 29.5in and 22lbs!

Doubled up! Quickly released the carp to get a pic with the big fella.

Another beautiful Ray Hubbard buffalo, this one was a solid 25lb 3oz and 32in.

Small carp, huge tailfin. This one fought well for his size!

Doubled up again! This was a day of small carp (and good size buffalo!)

I simply cannot get over the fact that both times I've been here I've had 3 fish over 20lbs, it's insane considering I'd only had one over 20 before I came here. This fish weighed 21lb 13oz and was 29.5in long.

Biggest carp of the day, just under 10lb @9lb 13oz. I guess the buffs get big but the carp stay little at this lake...?

'nother small guy.

I've started to notice that the small fish fight different to the large ones, they tend to zip around all over the place while the big ones hug bottom and are very deliberate.

Yet another small carp with a large tailfin. These guys definitely have more power than the "normal" ones.

Last fish for the day, I ended up getting kicked off of the bank as I was apparently fishing on private property. Who knew that the marina owned the entire island I was fishing on? Certainly not me.

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 05/02/18 06:12 AM.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12739276 05/02/18 06:00 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Part 2 - Trinity River with the Sister

My sister has been practically begging me to go fishing again ever since I took her out to Andrew Brown for some carp. We finally had a day where we were both off from work so I took her to the river. It was my first time river fishing, but I had a lot of confidence as I had baited up the area beforehand. Most of my time was dedicated to teaching her, and by the end of the day she was doing everything on her own!

Doubled up right off the bat! This was my sister's first ever Smallmouth Buffalo, what a start to the trip.

Her first carp of the day, and the biggest one of this particular trip @12lb 1oz

Second carp for my sis, she had finally stopped messing around in the forest and actually began focusing on her rods. I think she's starting to really enjoy it!

My first and only buffalo of this trip, for some reason the buffalo in this area were very rough to the touch. Anyone have an idea why? Maybe the water was dirty?

Doubled up again! My fish ran 10lb 6oz and hers was 8lb 2oz. Mine had a nasty wound on top of his head, I think a bowfisherman might've "released" him.

Her second buffalo of the day, again very rough feeling. Still beautiful fish, though!

Another carp for her, this one weighed 11lb 1oz.

Seems like a gar had a little afternoon snack of this carp's tailfin.

Got myself a smaller one. Where are those river giants?

Got another decent one, just over 10lb.

My sister with a 9lb 4oz common

Ended the trip with another double! We actually would've had a couple more fish if we had a few more hands, we were getting runs while fighting our fish and either they'd come off or get snagged. Even though the fish weren't too big here we certainly had a blast with all the action!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12739277 05/02/18 06:01 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Part 3 - Trinity River Multispecies Trip

Went down to the Trinity by myself in an effort to catch the Freshwater Drum that's been eluding me for so long. Figured I'd take four rods with me, one to catch some bait, one to rig up the bait, one to cast a lure, and another to maybe catch some carp or buffalo. Couldn't find any baitfish so I was already down two rods, but I did see a bunch of gar surfacing so I decided to target those with my lures. Got a bunch of bites, and even hooked up with a ~2ft spotted gar that was close enough to net before he came off. Time to hit the books and see if I can't increase my chances of getting one next time I go out!

First fish of the day, a little Smallmouth Buffalo. Put a lot of thought into using this guy as cutbait, but I decided to just let him go.

Second and last fish, a nicer buff. The river was wreaking havoc on my gear, I really need some heavier weights.

Part 4 - Lake Worth with my Parents

Took my mom and dad out with the intention of putting them on their first ever Smallmouth Buffalo. Decided to hit up a new water, and went to a part of the river in Ft. Worth. We stayed for about 3 hours with just one bite, so we left to get a bite while I looked around on Google Earth for another spot. I decided to try out Lake Worth, I'd always seen it on the map and wanted to give it a go. We were close so it was an easy choice. We found ourselves a nice windblown bank, baited up, and casted out.

This was my dad's first ever Smallmouth Buffalo! 12lbs, but he didn't fight very hard, I'm guessing because he was missing a gill plate. Anyone know why that would happen?

Landed my first buff of the day shortly after, a little bigger than my dad's @13lbs.

Dad and I doubled up! I'm holding a beauty of an 18lb 1oz fish and he's got his new PB of 14lb 8oz!

Saw this guy floating around dead in the water. Guess he bit off more than he could chew!

Dad got another one! This one was a bit smaller @11lb 12oz.

Doubled up again! Mom's holding her first ever buffalo and her new PB of 16lbs! Dad tied his PB of 14.5lbs.

Mom's second buffalo of the day and a nice one at 13lb.

I knew something was out there messing with my line! This little dude had some razor sharp spines!

[Linked Image]
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12739303 05/02/18 09:56 AM
W
whiterockjesse Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
if your talking about the skin feeling ling coarse sandpaper on the buffs , thats the way the skin gets spawn

P.B. Carp ....29 lbs .... P.B. Buffalo 34.4
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12739308 05/02/18 10:11 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
You Sir are a "Catching Machine"! Nice fish. Good job guys and gals! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12739355 05/02/18 11:47 AM
W
Wildman of the navidad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
rockon good fish solid post woot

Psalm:91

Quote on the wildman" They Said he'd eat the hair off of a man's head when he was hungry
and squeeze the water out of rocks when he was thirsty"
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12739443 05/02/18 12:53 PM
M
Marc-62 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
You catch some good size carp. But the smaller ones you should really think about eliminating their is no shortage of carp. Big catfish & Gar are caught off the bank also they like fresh cut carp or small live carp.

Last edited by Marc-62; 05/03/18 06:55 PM.
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: Marc-62] #12739545 05/02/18 02:04 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Marc-62
This is in Reference to Part 1 of your post. You should be arrested for trespassing you where already told on this forum that you where trespassing. But yet you went back, they should have put you in JAIL for a few hours & towed your vehicle. Take your fishing gear & take your fishing privileges for about 5 years for a repeat offender. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" Then you post the second crime on Social Media again .You Sir are no more than a common criminal. You really should check out Texas Parks & Wildlife // Game warden field notes.

This post is a compilation of many trips, and I caught those fish well before the post telling me the area was off limits.

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 05/02/18 02:06 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: whiterockjesse] #12739555 05/02/18 02:09 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: whiterockjesse
if your talking about the skin feeling ling coarse sandpaper on the buffs , thats the way the skin gets spawn

Good to know! I thought something was wrong with them, they definitely didn't feel like any other buffalo I'd caught.

Thanks Banker and Wildman!

[Linked Image]
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12740338 05/02/18 09:49 PM
M
MinMirny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Beautiful beautiful post!
Great job getting your family in our hard business, CONGRATS!
All trips are impressive, but in combination it is really (need to say it again smile ) beautiful!
Little note: I had many carp with the same gill plate thing. Nothing was special about them, though.

Light tackle carp fishing vet.
PB carp: common 27lb - mirror 27.5lb - grassy 42lb - ghost 14lb
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12740373 05/02/18 10:17 PM
W
Wildman of the navidad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
cyberwardens popcorn2

Psalm:91

Quote on the wildman" They Said he'd eat the hair off of a man's head when he was hungry
and squeeze the water out of rocks when he was thirsty"
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: Wildman of the navidad] #12740634 05/03/18 01:11 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
cyberwardens popcorn2

They're still upset that I don't support bow"fishing". grin

Thanks MinMirny!

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 05/03/18 01:12 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12740709 05/03/18 01:47 AM
sae Offline
Angler
Angler
Iam not upset that you do notsupport bow fishing, It is the fact that a lawbreaker like you will
try to shame Legal fishermen.

Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: sae] #12740712 05/03/18 01:51 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: sae
Iam not upset that you do notsupport bow fishing, It is the fact that a lawbreaker like you will
try to shame Legal fishermen.

You say that as if I broke the law intentionally, obviously I didn't and anyone could have made the same mistake judging by the conditions. There were a couple of other people fishing on the same bank as I was throughout that day.

[Linked Image]
Re: Last Week's Fishin' [Re: sae] #12740842 05/03/18 03:29 AM
M
MinMirny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
BS, nothing but BS. Man is doing nothing wrong about FISHING.
May be he was not allowed to be there ("trespassing") - this might be debatable, but who are you to determine that, and WHY you want to discuss it here and now?
Go to some other (law-shmo) forum and talk to annoying people like yourself, because it's got nothing to do with forum's main topic: CARP FISHING.
One more time: please keep it in mind, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG ABOUT MAN'S FISHING.
I don't know about you, but I'm here to talk fishing, and fishing only.
Man is doing brilliant job discussing carp fishing.
.. still thinking if I expressed my point clear enough? smile smile

Light tackle carp fishing vet.
PB carp: common 27lb - mirror 27.5lb - grassy 42lb - ghost 14lb
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide