Print Thread
The Hunt for Monster Bass #12731846 04/26/18 03:28 PM
H
Hobbs McAvoy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
I didn't see any posts about this show when I used the search button so I apologize if it has been posted already. Anyone watch this show with Ott Defoe? First, I like to watch Ott fish on the Elites and MLF. Dude can fish. The show however is hard to watch. Way over edited. There are shots from over the shoulder in the boat then to another shot where there is a second boat filming the catch and no one in the boat with Ott filming. The Monster Bass that he does catch really don't show hookset to landing the fish. Just a bunch on edited fighting scenes where some of the fish are not even the big bass he catches. Some scenes had to be shot where the fish is released with the hook still in it's mouth and retrieved again for a different camera angle. The first episode I watched he was in Florida and lost a giant at the boat. Probably a DD fish. It seemed like Ott was purposely trying to get the fish to stay on top of the water or even jump for the camera. It did and the hook went flying. He could have been trying to keep it out of the grass but I've never seen him work a fish like that. I'm sure he was told the more the fish jumps the better for tv. It could be a great show if they would just show a normal fish catch. Catching monsters doesn't need editing to be entertaining. JMO

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The Hunt for Monster Bass [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #12731863 04/26/18 03:43 PM
B
Barn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
I didn't see any posts about this show when I used the search button so I apologize if it has been posted already. Anyone watch this show with Ott Defoe? First, I like to watch Ott fish on the Elites and MLF. Dude can fish. The show however is hard to watch. Way over edited. There are shots from over the shoulder in the boat then to another shot where there is a second boat filming the catch and no one in the boat with Ott filming. The Monster Bass that he does catch really don't show hookset to landing the fish. Just a bunch on edited fighting scenes where some of the fish are not even the big bass he catches. Some scenes had to be shot where the fish is released with the hook still in it's mouth and retrieved again for a different camera angle. The first episode I watched he was in Florida and lost a giant at the boat. Probably a DD fish. It seemed like Ott was purposely trying to get the fish to stay on top of the water or even jump for the camera. It did and the hook went flying. He could have been trying to keep it out of the grass but I've never seen him work a fish like that. I'm sure he was told the more the fish jumps the better for tv. It could be a great show if they would just show a normal fish catch. Catching monsters doesn't need editing to be entertaining. JMO

I agree 100%. I was thinking about posting something similar after watching 2 episodes.

I was excited to find out about the new show but it's way to hard to watch. It's just a long promo video. Half a dozen angles of the same fish catch, ultra slow motion, jump cuts, etc. It's 10 minutes into the show before it actual gets started. Not much information overall. I think the narrator is annoying too. Way too dramatic.

It's my pet peeve with several of the fishing shows now. Too many edits and cuts. You'll see the same fish jump or hook set 5 times during the show. I know it's hard to roll the camera 100% of the time to get the entire sequence of events all the time. But, it's starting to blend into fictional fishing shows. I prefer shows like "Know Fishing" that keeps it pretty simple; tell, show, tell.

Re: The Hunt for Monster Bass [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #12731868 04/26/18 03:48 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I personally like the show. I just ran across it by chance about 2 weeks ago and have since been recording it. Seen 3 episodes now and while it is heavily edited, I still enjoy the show. That one he lost in Florida was a GIANT. I backed it up and made my wife watch it right at the boat. She rarely cusses but she did when she saw that.

Any show on TV or even the internet is geared towards entertaining so these guys will edit, ask for fish jumps, etc, etc...anything to make someone want to watch it. Some of them I like and other I don't.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The Hunt for Monster Bass [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #12731873 04/26/18 03:53 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Any way to see the episodes online?

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: The Hunt for Monster Bass [Re: Jpurdue] #12731880 04/26/18 03:56 PM
B
Barn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Not sure about watching full episodes on demand.

http://outdoorchannel.com/showvideos.aspx?show-id=63146

Re: The Hunt for Monster Bass [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #12731888 04/26/18 04:10 PM
J
JMac-D Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
It is over edited for sure

Re: The Hunt for Monster Bass [Re: JMac-D] #12731950 04/26/18 04:55 PM
BoomBoom Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler