Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12716565 04/14/18 05:08 PM
C
Chasin Hogs Online Crying
TFF Team Angler
Online Crying
TFF Team Angler
C
I believe my jersey is the reason I catch more fish. bouncy

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Chasin Hogs] #12716582 04/14/18 05:19 PM
retdbasser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Chasin Hogs
I believe my jersey is the reason I catch more fish. bouncy

wopics

Prepare for the future-it will be here tomorrow.
Personal Best Large Mouth Bass 9 lbs. 12 oz 5/13/19.
Herb Stein, who famously reminded us that “if something can’t go on forever, it will stop.”
Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12716819 04/14/18 09:34 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

We had a little club tourney on TB last weekend and some nasty storms kept me out of my routine for getting groceries the day before. That and there was a big oil man tourney going on and I didn't want to give up my electric plug at Cypress Bend. I checked to see what the wife threw in my grocery sack and there were two things..... trail mix and bananas. bang

It took every ounce of courage I had but I took the bananas the next day and fished through the nasty cold front and turned in one of the best sacks I've had in a long time. hmmm

[Linked Image]
Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12716826 04/14/18 09:41 PM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Bill dance speaks wisdom.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: JacksonBean] #12716943 04/15/18 12:09 AM
retdbasser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

We had a little club tourney on TB last weekend and some nasty storms kept me out of my routine for getting groceries the day before. That and there was a big oil man tourney going on and I didn't want to give up my electric plug at Cypress Bend. I checked to see what the wife threw in my grocery sack and there were two things..... trail mix and bananas. bang

It took every ounce of courage I had but I took the bananas the next day and fished through the nasty cold front and turned in one of the best sacks I've had in a long time. hmmm

That's it. Always let the wife pack your lunch.

Prepare for the future-it will be here tomorrow.
Personal Best Large Mouth Bass 9 lbs. 12 oz 5/13/19.
Herb Stein, who famously reminded us that “if something can’t go on forever, it will stop.”
Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12721310 04/18/18 02:04 PM
M
MTH82 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I've always heard to be quiet on the boat / bank because the fish can hear you. Any truth to that? I see people talking at a normal level all the time on boats and some even have music playing. I've never been able to notice one way or the other if noise level will have an impact on whether a fish will bite a lure or not.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: MTH82] #12721377 04/18/18 02:36 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: MTH82
I've always heard to be quiet on the boat / bank because the fish can hear you. Any truth to that? I see people talking at a normal level all the time on boats and some even have music playing. I've never been able to notice one way or the other if noise level will have an impact on whether a fish will bite a lure or not.

Sound does not travel well from the air to the water. I would have zero worries about casual conversation. Now, hull noise is another story all together. Drop a pair of pliers or have a heavy footed partner. That could definitely spook fish. John Hope told me an interesting story. He said he had been tracking a monster bass for a few nights. He said you could set your watch to her pattern. Every night she'd fire up at the same time and hunt the same stretch of shoreline like a robot back and forth. However, he said one night a kid walked out onto the dock in the stretch, and the fish immediately shot out of there and didn't come back for several hours. Food for thought.

Last edited by Jpurdue; 04/18/18 03:27 PM.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12721390 04/18/18 02:49 PM
5PounderOnAFrog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Any type of lotion, sunscreen, bugspray, etc. on your hands will transfer to your baits and the fish will not bite anything you handle.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: JacksonBean] #12721395 04/18/18 02:54 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

I had 2 maybe 3 bananas on board the day I caught my public water pb.
I didnt even know about the banana thing.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12721400 04/18/18 02:58 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I stay low and wear dull color clothing when fishing quiet clear water in the spring especially.
I wear pale blue shirt on sunny days and a khaki color shirt on cloudy days.
I bring a bright picture shirt to occasionally change if I catch a big one.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12721401 04/18/18 02:59 PM
M
Mofishin1990 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
The little wind saying that I don't remember where I heard, and not sure if anybody else has either.

North- Fisherman should not venture forth.
East- Fish bite the least.
South- Blows the bait to the fishes' mouth.
West- Fish bite the best.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Donald Harper] #12721438 04/18/18 03:21 PM
T
THAPCO4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I'm with you on the thermal idea as a possibility. I have had similar thoughts. All the people talking impossibilities, it may not even be heat, but increased electrical activity that they are detecting.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Donald Harper] #12721516 04/18/18 04:09 PM
G
GarySHO Online Content
Ice Ice Baby
Online Content
Ice Ice Baby
G
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
So many stories from the old days and fishing with the older guys, I could go on for hours. They knew absolutely what a bait had to have going for it to produce more quality Bass. You can't imagine all the techniques and tricks you can learn form fishing with those old guys, if you can even get them to go out on the water any more. These experiences have prompted me to modify baits that play upon every sense that Bass are looking for in sight, sound, smell, taste, vibration and believe it or not a heat signature.

I picked up bits and pieces from many older guys; but none stand out more then the first one I fish with in Texas back in 1982. Mr. Martin seemed to have all the senses put together in his select few baits that he took on the water each day.
- He did not believe in the flash. His skirts on jigs and spinner baits were of the old school wide living rubber using the earth tone colors as most of the West TX. lakes were stained water.
- He hammered the heads flat to get the largest rattling disk eye on the bait as possible for sound and visibility. He believed that Big Bass would always turn on their side and look their pray in the eye before taking it by the head.
- He worked the Scent and Taste to the max. He kept the spinner bait, spook, crank bait and sassy shads in a minnow bucket over night with two dozen minnows. All 4 lines tied on ready to fish without touching the baits the next morning.
- He kept a Blue Flake Lizard and Worm in a Night Crawler box so they were ready to fish. He always handled the wad of Night Crawlers before putting the plastics on the hook.
- He kept his favorite Jig in a coffee can with Crayfish and a mud bath.

The Heat Signature:

Here is a great story on catching a fish on the first cast. The first older gentleman I fished with in Texas ask me that question; "Have you ever wondered why you catch a fish on the first cast then never get another bite on that lure"? It has happened to me over these 60 years that I have been chasing Bass hundreds of times and never thought anything about it until I fished with Mr. Martin.

His theory was that the lure was laying in the sun on the deck and was very hot. Bass are cold blooded just like a rattle snake and are constantly seeking pray that has a different body temperature than their own. A worm or spinner bait for example thrown in the shallows is several degrees warmer than the water and represents a critter that has been in a bush or on a rock sunning then enters the water. More often than not it gets eaten immediately as it enters the water. For the first 20 years of fishing I threw spinner baits exclusively and this is what I did about this presentation to win two tournaments in a row in early spring when the water was cold.

I had noticed that the blades were hot laying in the sun. I could usually catch a fish on the first cast if I was on fish then nothing else until I picked up another spinner bait. I developed a 6 cell flash light that could be plugged into a cigarette lighter. I lined the inside with cork and aluminum foil to hold the heat and used the tail light of a car flipped over and shinning inside to heat up the blades of the baits. I kept a dozen spinner baits tied on and hanging in this HOT BOX. It was somewhat time consuming to unscrew the lens cover, take one out and replace the one just used; but it worked. It produced 12 keeper fish on 12 consecutive cast to win both tournaments. This was done at the beginning of Feb. on one lake and the end of Feb. on another lake. This gave me the confidence to know that it was working. The down fall is that the blades being very hot would be cold by the time I retrieved it back to the boat and had to change on every cast. If you were not on fish you worked your azz off and I lost interest pretty quickly.

Mr. Martin would simply carry a roll of aluminum foil and a small metal bucket. He would line the bucket with the foil to reflect the heat and just lay his baits in there while fishing. He would take them out one at a time and catch a fish then make a change.

Here is the concept behind this:

Over the years I have determined that Bass have the ability to sense a heat signature different from that of their own. This comes from the lateral line on the fish and is the most important factor in the way a fish feeds. It is more important than sight, sound, taste, vibration and smell. It has to do with them being cold blooded like a rattle snake.

Using the lateral line, a bass can feel the nearness of a prey or obstacle before it can see the object. Especially in water of low visibility, fish that swim in tight-knit groups, called schools, use their lateral lines to sense and coordinate sudden turns. Highly sensitive olfactory, or smell organs, permits fish to sense chemicals in the water, which helps identify food. Some fish, such as minnows, are also sensitive to chemicals in the skin of other members of their species. When released to the water during a bass attack, these chemicals stimulate a fright response that warns other minnows to escape, and at the same time gives Mr. Bass a trail to follow. The lateral line is also used for the fish to determine its depth in the water. This helps to distinguish up from down.

It is my belief that there is a fourth sense of the lateral line; sensing hot or cold thermal temperature changes in the food chain. As organisms move to the surface to feed, their body temperature is different from the organisms on the surface. The Basss lateral line processes this information and allows the Bass to track and feed on baitfish that have a different body temperature than their own. Any critter entering the water off the rocks or a bush is warm and produces a vicious strike.

If you would like to help in the development of this concept send me a PM..
I like the thought. I know a lot of times when I am crappie fishing in the summer I keep about 4 rods with different color jigs on. A lot of times it will get slow on the go to color and you can pick up a different color and immediately get bit and then they won't touch that one, get another off the deck and BAM, catch another. I was thinking color but a lot of times it is wildly different colors, wasn't thinking it was those lures was laying on the carpet and had heated up. Especially up here in cold, clear water where the temp gets a lot different in 15-25 feet. I may try an experiment or two.

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12721801 04/18/18 07:59 PM
T
TexasBassBuster Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Winds outta the East, Fish bite the least. Winds outta the west, fish bite the best.

Re: Bass Fishing Beliefs [Re: Jpurdue] #12721821 04/18/18 08:19 PM
S
Soft Tap Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
If my granddaddy spit Garrett's chew on our bait on the cane pole that's what was attracting the fish we caught !!! according to him .

Last edited by Soft Tap; 04/18/18 08:19 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide