Print Thread
Lowrance - Import GPS Coordinates from Google Earth #12706066 04/06/18 08:55 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Need an expert here. I have been looking at a lake in google earth when the water was pretty low. I added a bunch of placemarks in google earth of where points extend, humps, creek channels...etc and want to transfer the GPS coordinates of those placemarks so the show up on my Navionics Hotmap in my Lowrance LMS-332C. Besides manually entering them on my unit, is there some sort of method to transfer that data to my unit via an SD card? The manual talks about GPS data being downloaded to a .usr file from the unit, is there a format to that file that I can create one and transfer it via SD?

Does that make any sense?

Re: Lowrance - Import GPS Coordinates from Google Earth [Re: redskeet100] #12706225 04/06/18 10:57 PM
Corey Stanley Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Makes perfect sense, for them to show up on your Navionics card, since the Navionics card is just an overlay, the tracks and waypoints would have to be saved to the hard drive of the unit. I think you are on the right track though with them being saved as a .usr file. Be careful though, as the hard drive of that unit is not very large(compared to newer chartplotters) so it would not take much to slow that unit way down or lock it up. I know several guys here at Rayburn that have done the same thing by looking at historical data on Google Earth, tracing the creeks and then loading them to Humminbird units.

Have you checked youtube? Could possible be some step by step videos for similar situations on there.

Last edited by Corey Stanley; 04/06/18 10:58 PM.
Re: Lowrance - Import GPS Coordinates from Google Earth [Re: redskeet100] #12706330 04/07/18 12:29 AM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
In Google Earth (GE) right click the folder wpts are stored, click Save As, Enter. A folder will pop up. Select from your computer what folder you want the info stored if this folder is not desirable. Save the file as .kml or kmz (remember which folder it is saved to). In your browser, go to www.gpsvisualizer.com.

Click 'Convert to .gpx' box

Click 'Browse' in the grey box for file #1

Click 'Convert'.

The next page will display the file as converted and gives it a very long non-meaningful name. At the bottom of the screen a box will show, if using Windows, to Open, Save or Save As. You might have to click something else to see the 'Save As' - this is the what you want to click in order to save the converted file (now .gpx) to your folder of choice and to re-name the file to something meaningful.

Copy this file saved as .gpx to your SD card, which you could have done in the step just above, if desired.

Presuming your unit accepts .gpx files, place the card in the unit, and load (import) the .gpx file. I am not familiar with your unit so I don't know the precise steps.

If this unit does not accept .gpx file format, then use another program to convert it to .usr. Simply Google 'convert .gpx to .usr'. You should be able to go from there.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take the above as an exact instructional. I am going from memory. It should be close though and usable for anyone with minor computer literacy.

You should first READ this to understand your unit's limitations.

Re: Lowrance - Import GPS Coordinates from Google Earth [Re: UJC] #12707187 04/07/18 06:55 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: UJC
In Google Earth (GE) right click the folder wpts are stored, click Save As, Enter. A folder will pop up. Select from your computer what folder you want the info stored if this folder is not desirable. Save the file as .kml or kmz (remember which folder it is saved to). In your browser, go to www.gpsvisualizer.com.

Click 'Convert to .gpx' box

Click 'Browse' in the grey box for file #1

Click 'Convert'.

The next page will display the file as converted and gives it a very long non-meaningful name. At the bottom of the screen a box will show, if using Windows, to Open, Save or Save As. You might have to click something else to see the 'Save As' - this is the what you want to click in order to save the converted file (now .gpx) to your folder of choice and to re-name the file to something meaningful.

Copy this file saved as .gpx to your SD card, which you could have done in the step just above, if desired.

Presuming your unit accepts .gpx files, place the card in the unit, and load (import) the .gpx file. I am not familiar with your unit so I don't know the precise steps.

If this unit does not accept .gpx file format, then use another program to convert it to .usr. Simply Google 'convert .gpx to .usr'. You should be able to go from there.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take the above as an exact instructional. I am going from memory. It should be close though and usable for anyone with minor computer literacy.

You should first READ this to understand your unit's limitations.

Thanks, I was able to find an app that would convert the kml file to a usr file. I have copied all the data to my unit, will see if it all converted good when I get on the lake tomorrow. Appreciate the input.

Re: Lowrance - Import GPS Coordinates from Google Earth [Re: redskeet100] #12709000 04/09/18 01:17 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Well, conversion worked perfect. Even kept the names of the waypoints I had transferred.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide