texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,757
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? #12697115 03/31/18 01:59 PM
T
texasAUtiger Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
I'm curious if any of you have owned (or spent considerable time in) a newer model aluminum boat like a g3 sportsman vs an entry level fiberglass boat like a nitro?

I currently have an older g3. Of course it is not nearly as wide or spacious as these newer model aluminums, nor does it go as fast, but I like how I can get shallow and get into places without having to worry about damaging my boat. On the other hand, when the wind gets up, I have to be smart to be safe in terms of what water I try to get to. The price point of the aluminums seems good for what you get. But my understanding is the stability, comfort, speed, and space (?) might be better in a fiberglass, but the price is higher.

I'd love to hear thoughts on the pros/cons of each from those with experience with both.

Ranger z21
Mercury 250 ProXS
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697248 03/31/18 04:40 PM
R
Ranger 188 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Yep, Ive been sea sick from bobbing up
and down all day in many aluminum boats. Nothing beats the stability of a heavy, wide fiberglass boat. P

Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: Ranger 188] #12697259 03/31/18 04:56 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have a rt 188 ranger very stable boat not as smooth in rough water but a lot cheaper than fiberglass.
This is my first Aluminium doubt Ill ever go back to glass. It aint no basstracker. Last boat was fiberglass 200 merc opti.
J D 2cents

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697301 03/31/18 05:41 PM
ssmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
it is better to compare aluminum boats to aluminum boats I have had several aluminum boats from 17 to 21 ft none will compare to a glass boat in the same size but yes they are cheaper an it doesn't take as big of truck to pull them.

Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697306 03/31/18 05:44 PM
S
Stroker XS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Ive owned several of both but the best aluminum boat Ive ever owned has been a Havoc.

Stroker 250xs
[Linked Image]
Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: Stroker XS] #12697473 03/31/18 09:20 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Their is nothing wrong with fiberglass boats except price .
J D popcorn

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697498 03/31/18 09:41 PM
MMosher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Pros and cons to both. Pick what works best for you.

I love the smell of two stroke in the morning.
Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: MMosher] #12697506 03/31/18 09:48 PM
T
texasAUtiger Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: MMosher
Pros and cons to both. Pick what works best for you.

Im trying to gain such information in this this thread.

Ranger z21
Mercury 250 ProXS
Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697589 03/31/18 11:05 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I was watching Jarred Edwards on TV today and he fishes out of a Lund. That thing was set up just like a fiberglass bass boat and almost set in the water like one. Looked good. If it wasnt for Lund on the side I would not have noticed it was aluminum. I cant give you any comparison info but that boat looked worth checking into if your considering.

Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697620 03/31/18 11:39 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I've had both and the best comparison I can make is this; the worse glass boat I had was better than the best tin boat I had. When it comes to performance a tin boat just won't compare and the better tin boats are going to cost you almost glass prices. Only way I would have one would be for lakes like Purtis Creek, 300 acres or less.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697694 04/01/18 12:41 AM
GTrigg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
To each his own, but I'll fish my G3 in any lake in East Texas. Traded my big Skeeter for it two years ago, don't regret is one bit and was / is a whole lot lighter on the bank account.

Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12697725 04/01/18 01:10 AM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I agree with Gig'em. I have had both. The biggest problem with the tin boats is the ride and how you can get when it is rough.

Since it is fairly windy half of the time, between the waves and boat traffic a tin boat ride can get a little scary.

Yes some glass boats will give you a wet ride to in big waves and big wakes. But it is more having to do with spray.

I have found that even older glass boats are better. And the price is about the same.

But if you are looking to save money on gas and towing with a lighter vehicle just stay off the water when it gets rough.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12697892 04/01/18 03:03 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I've had both and the best comparison I can make is this; the worse glass boat I had was better than the best tin boat I had. When it comes to performance a tin boat just won't compare and the better tin boats are going to cost you almost glass prices. Only way I would have one would be for lakes like Purtis Creek, 300 acres or less.

I agree with Ronnie & Bruce. I have never owned a metal boat but I have fished from a new 19' Xpress / Merc 150 rig my buddy owned more than once. It rode fine but it was very unstable at rest compared to any of my FG boats. He fell out of it so many times he kept a change of clothes in the storage compartment. This is definitely something to consider as you get older because you're just not as nimble as you once were and your balance is not as good.

Also the wind blows you around more in a metal boat than a glass boat. I noticed it immediately and my Bullet boat weighed LESS than his Xpress. I think the metal boat companies know they have to compensate for the ride so they deepen the vee and carry it further back from the bow. Therefore it is less stable than a FG boat even though the metal boat may be wider at the beam.

Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: texasAUtiger] #12698017 04/01/18 10:47 AM
W
wagonwheel Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Boating is about knowing your limits. Every boat and boat owner has limits, if either go beyond those limits the person can get wet or fall out of the boat or whatever else has been mentioned. I have been in my little 16 ft aluminum boat bouncing around (catching fish) in the waves while the larger fiberglass boats are around the corner hiding from the wind. To say you cannot fish in the wind in an aluminum boat is just not true. I no longer have that little aluminum boat--I sold it and bought a larger aluminum boat.

I currently have a G3 Sportsman 17 with a 90 Yamaha. It is plenty fast enough, has been in rough water, is easy to tow, is very stable, and is great on gas. I am sure there will come a time when the conditions on the lake are beyond the boats limits and I will either turn around or stay home. I am also sure most of the fiberglass boats will be doing the same.

Also, the boat does not catch the fish.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Hey--we finally caught one!
dwjimages.smugmug.com

Re: Newer aluminum vs fiberglass boats? [Re: Ken A.] #12698028 04/01/18 11:42 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I agree with Ronnie & Bruce. I have never owned a metal boat but I have fished from a new 19' Xpress / Merc 150 rig my buddy owned more than once. It rode fine but it was very unstable at rest compared to any of my FG boats. He fell out of it so many times he kept a change of clothes in the storage compartment. This is definitely something to consider as you get older because you're just not as nimble as you once were and your balance is not as good.

Also the wind blows you around more in a metal boat than a glass boat. I noticed it immediately and my Bullet boat weighed LESS than his Xpress. I think the metal boat companies know they have to compensate for the ride so they deepen the vee and carry it further back from the bow. Therefore it is less stable than a FG boat even though the metal boat may be wider at the beam.

Only thing I'll add to this is buy a boat that fits your needs, your type of fishing and your pocket book but having fished out of or owned about every kind and type of boat made there is no way a tin boat can compete with a glass boat performance wise. Very few if any have bought a tin boat to fish tournaments in for that very reason. The Bass Champ boyz fish big lakes like TB, Rayburn, Falcon in all kinds of weather and you will never see them in a tin boat. If you're just fun fishing and can pick your days and a tin boat fits your style of fishing then that's the boat for you. I've fished the community humps in my Skeeter at Tawakoni when the winds got up 10-20 and the tin boats left for shore. Just being real folks, not criticizing your boat or trying to offend anyone but facts are facts. Ranger, Skeeter, Triton all make tin boats and they're good boats but they have their place and use.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide