Forums59
Topics1,038,957
Posts13,956,410
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: John175☮] #12670702 03/13/18 04:45 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted By: John175®
One thing I've learned about computer simulations is that I can make them show anything I want with a simple change in a line of code.
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue

Turns out these sorts of truly chance events have more of an impact on wealth than hard work. So says the computer simulation anyway.

True if you can control the variables. In Circuit design simulators, most of the variables are set. You can change from a weak to a strong model but within process margins, but that is about it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12670874 03/13/18 06:13 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Malcolm Gladwell’s book “Outliers” is an entertaining, fact-based look at the impact of luck, intelligence, hard work - and the achievement of greatness. If you’re truly interested in this topic, I strongly recommend that you check it out. Has a GREAT take on the idea that “10,000 Hours” appears to be a tipping point relative to greatness.

One Example Only - Bill Gates
Outlier’s discusses the role “chance” or “luck” played in what Bill Gates has achieved (technologically and his wealth). Gates came from “the right family”, is intelligent, has a strong work ethic...but at an early age he just happened to have near-unlimited access (because of where he lived, where the mainframe was located and a connection...etc.) to a mainframe - at a time when pc’s and laptops were unheard of. Because of that, he was able to put in his “10,000 hrs” - and the rest is history.

Very very cool book!

Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12671047 03/13/18 07:42 PM
J
J-SPENCER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
The harder you work, the luckier you get.

www.spencersautorepair.com

some men know the price of everything and the value of nothing
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Bob Davis] #12671224 03/13/18 09:50 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
In this case it is easy to control the variables.

If the polling is off by a small percentage any direction the entire simulation is off.

The data must have been gathered by a poll of some sort via interviews which can be twisted severely. Never heard someone down on their luck blame themselves for the state they are in...more likely it will be this that or the other thing happened. I got sick and didn't have insurance. My boss fired me because of something outside of my control. You get the idea. Those stories were a part of the whole analysis and there's not a way to find out whether there is any truth in the narratives. Who is going to challenge the assertions? Who is going to research the "unlucky" stories? On the other hand the successful folks are more likely to lay out the truth behind how they succeeded. "Unlucky" types are less likely to do the same. It's human nature to deflect blame. If just a handful of bad narratives make it into the study the whole output is skewed into the coin toss theory.

Originally Posted By: Bob Davis
One thing I've learned about computer simulations is that I can make them show anything I want with a simple change in a line of code.
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue

Turns out these sorts of truly chance events have more of an impact on wealth than hard work. So says the computer simulation anyway.

True if you can control the variables. In Circuit design simulators, most of the variables are set. You can change from a weak to a strong model but within process margins, but that is about it.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.†-JFK
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12671409 03/14/18 12:36 AM
Moto-Moto Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I create my own luck.

Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: John175☮] #12671513 03/14/18 01:42 AM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
In this case it is easy to control the variables.

If the polling is off by a small percentage any direction the entire simulation is off.

The data must have been gathered by a poll of some sort via interviews which can be twisted severely. Never heard someone down on their luck blame themselves for the state they are in...more likely it will be this that or the other thing happened. I got sick and didn't have insurance. My boss fired me because of something outside of my control. You get the idea. Those stories were a part of the whole analysis and there's not a way to find out whether there is any truth in the narratives. Who is going to challenge the assertions? Who is going to research the "unlucky" stories? On the other hand the successful folks are more likely to lay out the truth behind how they succeeded. "Unlucky" types are less likely to do the same. It's human nature to deflect blame. If just a handful of bad narratives make it into the study the whole output is skewed into the coin toss theory.

Got it. Agree with your assessment John.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: J-SPENCER] #12671527 03/14/18 01:49 AM
B
bigtexnick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: J-SPENCER

Perhaps you and I have lived very different lives or grew up in very, very different neighborhoods. But I can tell you in all honesty that if I have learned anything in this life, it is that that is not even close to being true.

--Nick smirk
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: bigtexnick] #12671545 03/14/18 01:59 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: bigtexnick
Originally Posted By: J-SPENCER

Perhaps you and I have lived very different lives or grew up in very, very different neighborhoods. But I can tell you in all honesty that if I have learned anything in this life, it is that that is not even close to being true.

one thing I have leaned in life is this attitude will make you a loser. Winners get up and keep trying till they succeed loser keep playing the lottery hoping to get lucky

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide