Forums59
Topics1,037,834
Posts13,935,305
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Davedave] #12669278 03/12/18 08:40 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: Davedave
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
This subject has been studied to death

First off Ill define success as amassing wealth and I dont mean a 4 BR, 3 BA house in Frisco with a swimming pool, two high dollar foreign sedans in the garage and a $2 million 401(k)

I mean real wealth

By far, the profile of real wealth comes from those who were to the manor born. They have old money, socialize with others with old money, go to the same old money schools and saving the best for last, marry into old money. Its very incestuous and its a galaxy the nouveau riche rarely experience.

But what about the American Dream you say, and I dont mean Dusty Rhodes. Get an education, work hard, make sacrifices to build a career, take on immense challenges to improve yourself, blah, blah, blah and you can become rich and famous.

Not bloody likely! Oh it happens alright but for everyone that makes it, theres a slew of them who are laying in a ditch with a javelin through them. And this is further compounded by some peoples idea of what hard work really is.

Im out. I dont have a pool, and I have a couple of Fords and a Toyota. Maybe next year.

your house is 3 times the size of mine. Rich is relative.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #12669283 03/12/18 08:42 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted By: Davedave

First off Ill define success as amassing wealth and I dont mean a 4 BR, 3 BA house in Frisco with a swimming pool, two high dollar foreign sedans in the garage and a $2 million 401(k)

I mean real wealth

By far, the profile of real wealth comes from those who were to the manor born. They have old money, socialize with others with old money, go to the same old money schools and saving the best for last, marry into old money. Its very incestuous and its a galaxy the nouveau riche rarely experience.

But what about the American Dream you say, and I dont mean Dusty Rhodes. Get an education, work hard, make sacrifices to build a career, take on immense challenges to improve yourself, blah, blah, blah and you can become rich and famous.

Not bloody likely! Oh it happens alright but for everyone that makes it, theres a slew of them who are laying in a ditch with a javelin through them. And this is further compounded by some peoples idea of what hard work really is.

Im out. I dont have a pool, and I have a couple of Fords and a Toyota. Maybe next year.

your house is 3 times the size of mine. Rich is relative.

Ive got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive.

Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: joebass2] #12669312 03/12/18 08:58 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: joebass2
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
If someone truly does not think hard work and determination are not keys to success then so be it. I have seen far too much firsthand that contradicts that study. Hard work, determination, and the power of chasing a dream cannot be measured by a computer.

What percentages of business start ups fail? Were those people not hard working dream chasers? I'm not sharing this study to discourage anyone. And by all means, I fully believe you should work hard. In terms of things you can control, there is zero doubt in my mind it matters a great deal. That said, the study shows the things you can't control matter more.

In all probability we would have never heard the name Bill Gates if he hadn't been born exactly when and where he was. He was born right at the start of the computer age and within a few blocks of one of two super computers that were open to public access at the time. This access sparked his interest in code. No doubt he's a hard worker, but if he was born in Indiana he would not have founded Microsoft.

Some might say Bill Gates benefited from fate, destiny or chance and hard work. Life isnt fair, being in the right place at the right time is huge, knowing the right people can help, but it still takes hard work for the vast majority of the people that are successful.

Youre right, Gates benefited from the time he was born and growing up down the street from a place that had super computers open to the public and needed people to code. He still put in countless hours learning to code and then applying that learned knowledge to building an empire.

I don't consider that aspect of his life (being born at the right time and location) luck. I think he had some luck along the way, but it was taking some chances as he built Microsoft and the ball bounced his way.

I agree with Jacob, though. How did the study define luck? Without a definition (and depending on the definition) its hard to agree with the studys findings.

Didn't hurt that Bill Gate's Dad was a partner in the largest law firm in Seattle. Kinda puts a damper on the whole 'garage' story.

I dont understand your point or how that puts a damped on the garage story.

Last edited by Duck_Hunter; 03/12/18 08:59 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12669423 03/12/18 10:05 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Ill just put this in here for whatever reason-
And just one example but there are many more-
Robin williams was both successful and wealthy-
But he was not happy-
Id rather be happy-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12669683 03/13/18 01:03 AM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I don't believe in luck - at all.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12669723 03/13/18 01:25 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
A guy I do business with sold his company with his partner for $1.6 billion. I have tried to figure out what he has that got him to that point. It's hard to say. Mainly he was willing to take the risk. He came to the US with two suitcases to get a degree at Harvard. Definitely intelligent. What he is doing now is basically for entertainment.

I like the story of the guy who owns the OX Ranch hunting ranch. Started a company Hostgator.com and sold it for over 200 million. Buys a big hunting ranch where you can now go drive a real tank. That's crazy.

Most of us are too busy making a living to make any real money.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 03/13/18 01:30 AM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Scagnetti] #12669727 03/13/18 01:28 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

I mean real wealth

your wisdom is admirable

now a seperate topic
who did you take in
The Derby Futures ?

Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: butch sanders] #12669739 03/13/18 01:35 AM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: butch sanders

I mean real wealth

your wisdom is admirable

now a seperate topic
who did you take in
The Derby Futures ?

I paid $2 grand for the Lone Star Clocker tip sheet aka the butch sanders special

[Linked Image]

Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Scagnetti] #12669863 03/13/18 02:37 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: butch sanders

I mean real wealth

your wisdom is admirable

now a seperate topic
who did you take in
The Derby Futures ?

I paid $2 grand for the Lone Star Clocker tip sheet aka the butch sanders special

Butch always goes for two.

[Linked Image]
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12670093 03/13/18 10:29 AM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Bitcoin. ##blockchain

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12670112 03/13/18 11:08 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
What do they define as "wealthy"?

There are lots of smart people. If you lump all the smart people who work hard into one category, there are obviously some that are going to be luckier than others and they are likely to be the wealthiest. There are plenty of smart people who work hard that aren't wealthy as well, and I think they're on the other end of the luck spectrum.

Bottom line - generally, you can't get significant wealth without being smart, working hard, and getting lucky. It takes all 3. We just like to ignore the last one because there's nothing you can do about it.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Scagnetti] #12670164 03/13/18 12:27 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

Rich marry the rich, and the poor marry the poor. I watched all this happen the 40 years I have been here in Longview.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12670173 03/13/18 12:31 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
A poor girl wants to marry
And a rich girl wants to flirt
A rich man goes to college
And a poor man goes to work
A drunkard wants another drink of wine
And a politician wants a vote
I don't want much of nothin' at all
But I will take another toke

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: patriot07] #12670180 03/13/18 12:35 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: patriot07

Bottom line - generally, you can't get significant wealth without being smart, working hard, and getting lucky. It takes all 3. We just like to ignore the last one because there's nothing you can do about it.

Agree.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: The role of luck in success and failure [Re: Jpurdue] #12670257 03/13/18 01:19 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
One of the things that study points out is that hard work and intelligence are necessary in most cases to be successful in life, but that the most talented people are rarely the most successful. The most talented folks are overtaken by folks of average work ethic and intelligence who just happened to be exceptionally lucky.

Here's a great case in point. A 19 year old kid who hit it big in bitcoin. He thinks you are stupid if you don't become a millionaire in the next 10 years. He is completely unaware his success was nothing but luck.

https://gizmodo.com/19-year-old-bitcoin-millionaire-says-its-your-own-fault-1822621836

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide