Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: BMCD] #12665225 03/09/18 04:56 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: BMCD
Originally Posted By: bluesea112
Many of you would change your mind and support bowfishing if you had seen as many gar as I have seen with crappie and bass in their stomachs. I am no biologist, but it does not take a science degree to make personal observation. I can tell you the fact is that gar prefer to eat game fish over carp, buffalo, or drum. It makes me sick to think about how many game fish the big gar are eating every day. Most of the fish I see in gar stomachs are smaller game fish under 4 inches, but those are fish that could have grown into trophies. Anybody who tells you that gar do not have a negative impact on the game fish population just doesn't know what they are talking about.

I would disagree with you, I doubt Gar is even close to the top predator of bass. I support bowfishing. But this is a reason to support it.

I would say that the various species of gar are at least equal to the Bass in terms of predators of smaller fish. One time I made the long walk to the Trinity under a bridge in east Texas to find two gar that had been caught and their large "backstraps" removed to eat. These fish were close to 100 pounds in weight and through their ribs I could see at least 20 1 pound sand bass in each one of them. Not many Bass could have that many fish in them of that size.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: bowhuntfisher] #12665247 03/09/18 05:07 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: bowhuntfisher
Nice Buffalo carp there ToasterWEyes.

Are Buffalo good to eat, do they have the same amount of bones in the meat? I have noticed their meat is whiter than the common and grass carp meat is. I have only noticed when I cut them up to use for cut bait.

Buffalo are good to eat and do not have the bony curse of carp. They also fight very hard, are prettier than carp, get over 40 pounds and there would be far more of them if there were fewer Carp. I would support the near extinction of Carp and stocking Buffalo in their place. Buffalo are actually useful fish.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12665652 03/09/18 09:55 PM
B
bowhuntfisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
rickt300,

Thanks for the info.
Every once in a while, I shoot a Buffalo along with the common grass carp, I will now be intrigued to eat that one and not use it for cut bait.
I too would rather have Buffalo over common carp if they are good to eat. I also notice fewer of Buffalo in my area, that does not mean there not a lot fo them, cause there are a lot, it's just most lakes and canals down here are infested with the common grass carp, some of the illegal gil netters down here keep them in check, but even thats not enough to hurt the population.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12665971 03/10/18 02:48 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I think Buffalo inhabit deeper water on average than the common carp. I used to fish from the boat slips on Eagle mountain lake near the dam and caught many Buffalo in 20 plus feet of water.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12666193 03/10/18 07:33 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Guys I shot those buffalo on Lake Whitney. One thing that I have noticed is that all the larger than average buffalo that I have shot have come on points and banks with deep water very near. And when they get spooked they run deep as fast as they can get there. So I do believe you're right Rick. I use a lot of the same knowledge that I use to find big bass to locate big carp, buffalo, and gar when bowfishing. You have to understand what those fish are needing at that time of year.
Bowhuntfisher, I'm not going to bs you, I don't eat buffalo or carp. But I do give them to people that will and they are a lot more excited about buffalo than carp. 3-4' gar are what they really want though.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: redace1] #12666319 03/10/18 02:14 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: redace1
I'm no expert on the topic. But I see more carp and gar on a regular basis than most other fish because of their top water feeding habits.
I can't imagine bow fishing could ever have an impact on their numbers so go for it.
But leaving any wildlife killed on the ramp or dumping them is irresponsible. Be it deer, dove, quail, squirrel, etc.
If you are going to take the life do it for a purpose.
JMHO.

I agree with your perspective...unfortunately, sometimes the purpose is simply to reduce the population...carp and gar are a lot like wild hogs...numbers are out of control...maybe if some of those carpers would practice catch and grease, the problem would not be so out of control on most of our lakes...I, for one, would support Gil netting on the most problem lakes...or shooting them with .22 on the more rural lakes...

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide