Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thoughts? #12660812 03/06/18 05:49 PM
Der Vorsteher Online Shocked OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Shocked
TFF Guru
I am an avid reader, mostly history but found Ike's book on amazon for $3 used on paperback and thought what the heck. Something I found interesting. In his book he talked about him and his 6 friends starting a bass club. The main thing they did was talk fishing and learn from each other and how they shared what worked and didn't work after every tournament. This club was up in New Jersey. My BIL lives in Cape Cod and they have a 30 person bass club and I have fished with them a couple of times and I have always admired how friendly they are towards each other and myself and how much they share. Not your usual typical "yankee" stereotype. After every tournament I have fished with them they have spent a couple hours truly discussing and sharing. I don't see that here much. I know there are some big trails out there with big money on the line and people always come back with time on the water, etc. I am one that wishes I could spend more time on the water but I just cant for various reasons. I am amazed at how some will bash others for even asking for advice even on this forum at times. I suck at fishing but if I have any success I sure don't mind sharing it with people. I just find it funny that the state known for being friendly sometimes can be so unfriendly when it comes to being outdoors and yet the dam Yankees treat each other so nice and share their ups and downs so much.

Team Wolfs
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12660817 03/06/18 05:51 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Too many people fishing for income than fishing for entertainment maybe?

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12660886 03/06/18 06:17 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I don't mind giving info. No big deal for me especially if I see someone with a kid in the boat. I won't talk if I'm a passenger unless I know for fact my buddies don't mind unless it's my spot. I will never talk when with a guide. Fishing for me now is more about getting on the water and away from life than it is about catching fish but if I get lucky and find them I don't mind sharing. To your point though I agree but there was a time I might not have sad to say.

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661023 03/06/18 07:52 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher�
I am an avid reader, mostly history but found Ike's book on amazon for $3 used on paperback and thought what the heck. Something I found interesting. In his book he talked about him and his 6 friends starting a bass club. The main thing they did was talk fishing and learn from each other and how they shared what worked and didn't work after every tournament. This club was up in New Jersey. My BIL lives in Cape Cod and they have a 30 person bass club and I have fished with them a couple of times and I have always admired how friendly they are towards each other and myself and how much they share. Not your usual typical "yankee" stereotype. After every tournament I have fished with them they have spent a couple hours truly discussing and sharing. I don't see that here much. I know there are some big trails out there with big money on the line and people always come back with time on the water, etc. I am one that wishes I could spend more time on the water but I just cant for various reasons. I am amazed at how some will bash others for even asking for advice even on this forum at times. I suck at fishing but if I have any success I sure don't mind sharing it with people. I just find it funny that the state known for being friendly sometimes can be so unfriendly when it comes to being outdoors and yet the dam Yankees treat each other so nice and share their ups and downs so much.

If someone singles me out, personally via a text or PM, I will offer honest help if I can.

I, however, will not put my hard work out on the Internet or a forum for everyone to have.

That's just me, and the hundreds that PM me can vouch for my tips. I tell them what I know.

OTH, I have never asked for help. I enjoy figuring out ,for myself,what is working and what isn't. That's part of the "game"'for me.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661045 03/06/18 08:04 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Are you in a bass club here? My experience with smaller clubs is that they share A LOT of info together.

I am not one to share info with strangers, nor do I ask. As stated above, I want to figure it out on my own.

If I know you though, I will tell you just about anything. Too much of my own time, money, and frustration goes into finding fish to then turn around and blast it online. I honestly figured most of those people just like to brag more than help others.

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661054 03/06/18 08:14 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Decided many years ago that I would never mislead anyone about catching a damn fish. If something works for me I'll share it with anyone that asks. Life is too short to play those games.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661072 03/06/18 08:27 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Make some friends who are decent to good fisherman and shoot the bull with them (that's southerner for discussing). That is a great way to learn. But from my experience a lot of your better anglers will only share if they feel like you are not going to make every detail they share public knowledge. I have belonged to a bass club for the past 9 years, when I joined we had maybe 25 members, now I think we are around 150-175. Info has always been shared amongst most the club members.

I have gotten burned trying to be "nice and helpful", so I do not openly share too much anymore. Though, talk to those that we have a trustful friendship and they will tell you I am open book. It's all give and get. You can't expect someone to give a lot if you cannot bring something to the party.

I actually had a very good "stick" in this area call me this morning to "BS" about fishing on a particular lake we are competing against one another this coming Saturday. I was 100% honest with him on how the fishing is right now, what my opinions are what the fish are doing and how I did practicing last weekend.

We tend to share info even if we are competing against each other. It works both ways, give and get...

#MFGA
Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661079 03/06/18 08:33 PM
RATZ Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
I don't mind sharing info. If I slayed in them 12' on black and blue jigs I'll tell you that. There is a lot of 12' water on a lake for them to fish. Not like they can get "my spot" from that info, I'd hope someone would help me out too, so I share.

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661147 03/06/18 09:42 PM
lucky55 Offline
Angler
Angler
I was told by a fisherman to never listen to any advice from another fisherman because they would always lie. Then I noticed after a tournament he was first one to start the "stories". I was in the boat, story never happened! I was always disgusted by this and wondered to myself why someone would act that way. Still not sure why. I am the opposite I guess, cant stand lies of any fashion. When people ask me questions I am honest, mostly because I am trying to learn to fish and would hope they are also honest with me.

2021 SKEETER ZXR-21
Re: Thoughts? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12661165 03/06/18 10:01 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

If someone singles me out, personally via a text or PM, I will offer honest help if I can.

I, however, will not put my hard work out on the Internet or a forum for everyone to have.

That's just me, and the hundreds that PM me can vouch for my tips. I tell them what I know.

OTH, I have never asked for help. I enjoy figuring out ,for myself,what is working and what isn't. That's part of the "game"'for me.

I'll vouch for this. I pm'd Steez for some general lake info. He was very forthcoming with the info and it was much appreciated.

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661211 03/06/18 10:44 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Time marches on. That is an old adage about how things change over time. Back in my tournament days I was the first one one the water. I made sure no one followed me. I would immediately leave an area way before another boat would get in the vicinity. I felt like my hard work had payed off and refused to help others. If I won a tournament or even placed high, I found an excuse to get out of there as soon as I drew the check. Fishing Team Tournaments cost me many good fishing holes as your partner will eventually drop out and or take others there when you cannot go on the trip.

Sense retirement that is all over. I am more than glad to share every experience, every technique and much of the knowledge that I have learned over my 65 years of Bass fishing. Yes, I sell some of it on here. It is like my Grandpa said nothing worth having is free in life. Expect to pay something in one way or another for the good things in life that will help you reach your goals. I have met may members on here that truly need help and I will always give that help to the best of my ability. I guess that is why all my write-ups are so long. Ha.. You cannot help someone with a general statement of the fact; because in fishing, it is all the little things that makes all the difference in being successful on any body of water. Everyone fishes different. You can give the person the knowledge of where to fish, how to fish it and what to fish it with and they will still most likely come up short because of the lack of confidence in your methods.

Methods use to be an old course in college that taught you about change. Fishing is all about change. Things change form one day to the next. You have to go through all those daily methods and keep up with the changes to repeat an experience. I love to share those experiences and techniques. I have never met anyone that fishes the way I do, uses the methods of finding fish and can accept the changes that must take place to become a better fisherman. The best reward for sharing is seeing others be successful using the help you gave them. That is a real HIGH in my book.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661225 03/06/18 10:55 PM
D
DedShort Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I tend to be an open book, but don't blast it online. I'm no great fisherman, but will always share information if asked. The only exception might be if the person asking has been a jerk in the past.

"Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have." - Harry Emerson Fosdick

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661227 03/06/18 10:56 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Not all Yankees are like that and not all Texans are like that. You can't pool Yankee's, Texans, rednecks, blacks, whites, bass fishermen, hunters, etc. There are good and bad in all. I was in Century Bass club and the camaraderie was great. Many times on here I have gave specific information to individuals via PM's when ask. Even gave a guy exact spots where I had sunk brush on a lake he had a upcoming tournament on. If you've had bad experiences with individuals or bass clubs you need to move on. There are some wonderful people and bass clubs on here you just haven't met them yet but it's flat out wrong to categorize us by the place we live. Born Texan and Texas proud.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12661234 03/06/18 10:59 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
One thing you hear pros talk about a lot is to "avoid the dock talk".

For me, I need to know and trust your fishing ability to then go spend my limited fishing time trying to follow whatever pattern or spot you found. So I just don't ask for info from random people or forums.

Re: Thoughts? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12662273 03/07/18 05:00 PM
Der Vorsteher Online Shocked OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Shocked
TFF Guru
Thanks for the all the responses. I like to hear all opinions. I just see so many different things. Even just out fun fishing people are so tight lipped and even down right jerks even if ask how they did that day. It amazes me and, just in my experience, it seems there is more of that than the other. I hate it because I see it rubbing off on younger kids. I was on a lake the other day and a high school age kid was helping his dad load their boat and I asked how did you guys do and he said we did really good today. I replied that's great, what did you catch them on and he replied a hook and smirked at me. I chuckled but come on.

Team Wolfs
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide